HPI Savage X 4.6 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

First of all I would like to thank all of the members that put my name in and I would also like to thank Megabyteme (John) for allowing me to do this review.

Truck: HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR
Manufacturer: HPI
Written by: HPI_Savage25 (Parker)
Price: $429.99 (Tower Hobbies price) www.towerhobbies.com
Kit Number: 867

100_2013.jpg

100_2008-1.jpg

Here is a list of everything included in the box:

1: HPI Savage X 4.6
2: Roto Start 2
3: Transmitter
4: Manual and stickers
5: Inner cone for the exaust to make it quieter
6: 2, 2.5, and 3mm allen keys
7: Tie Rod adjust tool
8: Roll cage that protects the engine head
9: 14mm hex's
10: Extra body clips, radio box clips
11: Tall body post, servo horns, various other linkage items

100_2012.jpg

100_2010-1.jpg

TieRods.jpg

Break-In: I broke the engine in the way HPI recommended. The first tank is idling with the truck off the ground, or tires off the ground. During this tank I had to restart it several times, the motor had a sweet spot that if it was anything more or less it would just die. For the second, third, and fourth tank I drove it around in circles blipping the throttle and letting it coast some. After each tank I would lean the HSN (High Speed Needle) and the LSN (Low Speed Needle) out about 1/8 turn. Overall the break-in was very simple and the motor starts very easy.

As of now I have right at 8 tanks through the motor and it is feeling very powerful. I am having no problems lifting the wheels up in the front yard and not to mention the low speed is still quite rich. I did have to add another spring to the brake rod, the one spring on the rod was not enough to activate the brakes and I just happen to have a spring laying in my box so I put it on and the brakes now are working properly. I also went ahead and installed the rest of the roll cage that covers the engine, in the beginning I only had the roll bar but now since it is pulling the wheels up easily I decided it would be best to install it, pics are coming.

Here is a picture with the extra spring added.
100_2029.jpg

Picture with roll cage installed.
100_2030.jpg

First couple tanks after break-in: After the fifth tank I started to lean the motor out some more for performance tuning. All I can say is WOW. The motor is STILL running rich on the low end and it will still pull the wheels up very easily after 1/2 tank. The motor has good top end also at this point and starts up easily. So far the truck has tumbled a few times, and I have added some scratches to the rear of the body from the wheelies.

Track Time: After break-in of the motor I went to the local track and ran it on the dirt oval. I started out by tuning the motor out in the field in within two tanks the steering went out and upon inspection the steering servo stripped a gear. I just happened to have another truck and I took the steering servo out of it and put in and it went back to tuning. The truck came with 1 shock spacer on each shock and for bashing around that would be good but for an oval track it made it too stiff and was top heavy. After running a tank with the shock spacers in I then removed all shock spacers then ran the truck again, with much better results. The track was very dry today and made it very loose, almost like driving on ice. I myself do not have a temp gun but a friend of mine does and while we was at the track we tested the temp of the motor after each tank and a few times during each tank with the motor never getting above 245degrees with the outside temperature being around 70-80degrees.

Jumping: The truck did quite well jumping stock but I noticed that it was a little too stiff and liked to bounce quite a bit upon landing. To solve this I took the shock spacers out which pretty much solved that problem. The truck was easily to control in the air and landing was quite smooth even on a track that hasn't been ran on in quite some time.

Bashing: This truck has taken some MAJOR abuse. I got me a bigger ramp last week and set it up in the court across the street and was hitting the ramp for about 3 tanks until it finally gave up. So far I have only had to replace a steering servo, motor plate, and a spur gear.

Low Speed Handling: The truck handles really good at low speeds while on dirt or grass. It turns sharper if you are on the throttle just a little bit. If you are running on the road the truck seems to want to tip over a lot but its a monster truck.....what do you expect.

High Speed Handling: The handling at high speeds isn't the best in the world. If you are on dirt or grass it is fine at high speeds and takes turns pretty good. Iran in the road some and to be driving in the road is different, the truck doesn't like to turn at high speeds too well. I am not sure why but I am working on getting the on road turning better than it is but overall the high speed handling is good.

Competition: The competition for this truck is going to be the the LST2, Warhead, and the Monster GT. So far the only truck I have ran with is a Revo 3.3 and another Savage X 4.6. The Revo is fast but if I ever can keep my front wheels on the ground I pass the revo in a drag race. I know that several people at the track has a LST2 and one person has a Warhead so I will be able to race them sometime soon hopefully and see how that goes.

Tuning: The motor holds a tune very well, just like any other HPI motor I have owned. I have only ran 4 different motors so far and I would put the stock S-25 and the 4.6 at the top of my list. The 4.6 starts up very easily and holds a tune very well also throughout the day.

Wrenching: Wow, this truck is very easy to work on compared to other trucks. To replace a servo is much easier now, if you ever have to remove the internal components of the tranny they can be easily removed by removing a few screws from the top, radio box is MUCH nicer than the older versions in my opinion and the diffs are also a lot easier to replace or even to check for proper shimming.

100_2047.jpg

100_2059.jpg

100_2040.jpg

100_2041.jpg

100_2046.jpg

100_2075.jpg

100_2076.jpg

100_2074.jpg

100_2078.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture with the truck on the wall hanging, that was actually pretty funny. Basically I was making laps around the track and I still had the shock spacers all the way around and another truck tapped me and caused the truck to get sideways then it started tumbling and it just happened to land right on it.....still running. Besides the steering servo stripping on me the truck ran fine the entire day without breaking anything else. The truck was hit several times in the side, tumbled, landed wrong a few times and it still kept on going. I did to get run over at the off road track but didn't get any pictures taken this time but the truck handles the jumps nicely and lands smoothly. It is pretty easy to control in the air but I did have several bad landings where it tumbled about ten times.

Picture of gear that stripped in servo.
100_2065.jpg

100_2064.jpg

Here is a video trying to drive with a bad steering servo which got to the point where the tires wouldn't turn at all.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4832559374837790745

More videos coming soon.

Video of the 3rd tank.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6408861633138746752

After shots:

100_2066.jpg

100_2067.jpg

100_2068.jpg

100_2069.jpg

100_2070.jpg

Broken Parts with price:

Stock Steering Servo: $30.00
Motor Plate: $7.00
Spur Gear: $4.00
Bent Shock: Bent back to original shape

The parts I have had to replace hasn't really been anything major. The steering servo I was already prepared to replace considering I haven't had any stock savage servo last more than 1/2 gallon. The servo went out while at the track, first tank for the day and was just driving around in the field and noticed it wasn't turning as sharp and was getting less responsive until it finally stopped working completely. The motor plate, spur gear, and the bent shock was damaged from hitting a jump in the street and having some awkward landings. The ramp I was hitting is almost 3ft wide and maybe 1-2feet tall ( I will post pics of the ramp later). While hitting the jump I was getting maybe 5-8 foot of air and launching maybe 10-15feet outward.

Racing: The truck competed in its first real race today (December 9th, 2007). It was up against a revo 3.0, Savage X, Savage 25, and 3 LST's. The race was almost a walk in the park except for one of the LST's. I got first in the qualifier, last in heat 1, and third for the A-main. During the 1st heat I was having problems with the tie rods popping off everytime somebody would tap me so I had to pop them back on almost every lap, still got 3rd though. The A-main was a disappointment....I went to start and come to find out the plug fouled out on me so I started almost 3mins late out of a 5min race, and finished 3rd with only 9laps down from the leader which if it was a 10min main I would have caught up. For the race I was only running 4 shocks and each shock was in the lowest position with 1 spacer in each rear shock.

Durability: (9) I gave the durability a nine which would have gotten a ten if the steering servo didn't go out on me within 1/2 gallon. Other than that the truck has been running perfect with no other failures.

Performance: (9) I also gave the performance a nine, the 4.6 engine puts out a good bottom end and the top end is good, also. I don't know if I would want any more power for now.

Adjustibity: (10) I gave it a ten because it has the adjustable transmission and the tie rods. Not too much you could ask for in this part.

Overall: (10) Overall this truck is awesome, I couldn't ask for a better truck at this point. So far it has taken some pretty bad landings upside down, awkward landings, hit the wall several times at the track, got hit by another savage head on at the track once and it still keeps going. Power wise also impressed me compared to the S-25 motors.

Customer Service (10) I give HPI a 10+ for Customer Service. After the crank pin snapped where the rod goes on they replaced the motor and just asked for pictures of the motor. About a week later I had a new motor sitting at the door. A+

Great start on the review. good vid to put in on the break in procedure even though it made me dizzy, lol. Hope the truck does great for you HPI. It is the best truck I ever bought.

great start hpi_savage25!:10: and nice idea to add the video of how your breaking it in!! heres some reps for the great job!!

LOOK N GOOD PARKER!

can you describe the recommended break n procedure on the mill for newbis who may run out and get a savage from your review.

Thanks

You are doing a good job keep it up,that truck looks good ,little better then my 25 cant wait to see u bash the crap out of that thing

LOOK N GOOD PARKER!

can you describe the recommended break n procedure on the mill for newbis who may run out and get a savage from your review.

Thanks

Thanks crash, I added the break-in procedure in the first post.

Parker, what method are you useing to monitor engine temp. ?

temp gauge?

spit test?

winging it? lol

Parker, what method are you useing to monitor engine temp. ?

temp gauge?

spit test?

winging it? lol

You guys can shoot me for this........I am winging it for now. Last time I used my temp gauge it said my motor was 1000+ degrees and I KNOW that was wrong and never used it since. Anyways I will be at the track tomorrow and a friend has a temp gauge that I will use tomorrow to see what it is running at, I have checked it several times by spitting on it and it took a few secs for it to dissolve.

We will find out today when I go to the track......we are all meeting up for a "bash" at the track.

Hi,

On the brake, you probably didn't need to add a spring, I say this because my savage x , (same truck) the brakes were not adjusted corrctly out of the box, I just screwed that black plastic knob in a bit further and it was stoping on a dime, I did have to bring it in quite a bit. the end of that knob is open so you can tighten it all the way to the end of the thread's. so if you don't have a extra spring it is no big deal.

I had prooblems wih that steering servo too, Mine didn't strip, but doesn't have enough torque, they should really put a better servo in the RTR's.

Hi,

On the brake, you probably didn't need to add a spring, I say this because my savage x , (same truck) the brakes were not adjusted corrctly out of the box, I just screwed that black plastic knob in a bit further and it was stoping on a dime, I did have to bring it in quite a bit. the end of that knob is open so you can tighten it all the way to the end of the thread's. so if you don't have a extra spring it is no big deal.

I had prooblems wih that steering servo too, Mine didn't strip, but doesn't have enough torque, they should really put a better servo in the RTR's.

I understand what you are saying with the spring and that the know is open but that know is just a pain to adjust and I find that it stops a lot easier now and I didn't have to hurt my fingers or spent 10mins screwing the knob on as far as I could get it.

That was a great review, the pictures are great. I also love the savage, I can't wait to get the 4.6 I can tell it's awesome.

I will be adding some more to the review, it is not complete yet. I have been really busy this past week and haven't gotten a chance to do anything else yet.

Thanks guys!

Parker, great job so far. When I heard you where receiving the truck for review I was happy because I knew that you would compile a good solid review with pics.

To those who posted images in this thread besides HPI Savage25-

I removed the pictures and put a link to the picture instead. That way we know what images are from Parker. If you wish to post more pictures in this thread use links please. Thanks alot.

But wait, I'm Parker! jk. Sorry guys, still learning the rules. I didn't mean to high-jack the thread. Don't hesitate to put me in my place, I could use the discipline.

But wait, I'm Parker! jk. Sorry guys, still learning the rules. I didn't mean to high-jack the thread. Don't hesitate to put me in my place, I could use the discipline.

You did nothing wrong. There actually isn't even a rule about posting pics in some else's thread. I'm just a neat freak and wanted to make sure the thread stayed organized. Your not hijacking a thread as long as your contributing to it and you were contributing. Nothing wrong with posting pics, I'm just a neat freak.
:FarleyParty:

Guys I hope you like the review!

I am done for now, I have right at 1 gallon through the truck.

Updated the review with ratings and some other stuff.

Enjoy and again I would like to thank all the members here that put my name in, John (Megabyteme) and HPI for allowing me to do the review.

hey parker u did a good job on the review i think i am going to add this truck to my fleet and make my 25 a hard core basher,good job parker

nice review hpi savage 25 lots of pics just what we like!
4x4

extremely well done parker!!!!:resp: thats why i was one of the ones voting for u to do some reviews, i knew you have the oppurtunity to use a track as well as just bashing!!!! and the fact that you have pics of pretty much every step of the way is great!!! good job again parker!!!! I'm hoping more review opputunities come your way as your a great asset to this forum in my opinion!!!!

Just a little update on this.

ran the truck for about 10-12 tanks today......

hitting a ramp in the street into the yard.....was getting some major air (10feet?) and thought that it was doing good for some of the landings it was taking then it finally gave in. What broke? Spur gear.........I cant tell that anything is loose and i had the slipper locked down - 1/8 turn.

Next thing to get is a wheely bar.....flips over way to easy.

excellent parker,

bash that truck, spur gears are like girfreinds. always have an extra

excellent parker,

bash that truck, spur gears are like girfreinds. always have an extra

After viewing the truck some more it seems I have bent the motor plate a good bit....

I will be tearing the truck down tonight and tomorrow to find out the rest of the damages..

it was definity fun though and I will be getting some videos of it next time......

sucked because I thought it was doing good...the body, well itsn't a body anymore.....

Well done bud a savage isnt any fun unless you break something lol :nono:

Latest posts

Members online

Back