HPI savage new build..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOO your wrong. This Savage is heavy so a 28-30 size engine won't cut it for this truck... The .70 will have plenty of torque and power for this truck (Like a gas engine)... You see this Savage is extended too (is longer that a normal size Savage). Using a 28-30 size engine would be like putting one in a 1/5th scale truck.. Wayyyy to small...

Oh, By the way.. I have a Duratrax Firehammer MT that I'm rebuilding, and will have a 36cc engine in it (Truck has all aluminum parts), and Gas engines don't rev very high too (Like the .70) But they do have lot's of torque..

So it's an xl length savage,
A lrp30 would blow it out of the water,
I don't need to be convinced,
I've ran both engines in multiple trucks, so speaking from experience,
As for 2 stroke petrol engines, I had my fair share of hpi baja and fg monster trucks,
So know a lot about them also.

Last edited:
I see what your saying. However, I Iike big engines like the Octane (15cc) one and .70 too (in a truck).. Also, If I run the .70 a bit rich.. It'll out last a small nitro before a rebuild is needed (easily), as I have 2 bag fulls of spare engine parts too (Very hard to find).. I have seen the HPI Octane run pretty fast, so I expect mine to do the same.. But guessing the correct gear ratio is hard with a .70 nitro installed. You see the spur gear has 51 teeth (gear is made from Titanium), so I went to a 17 teeth clutch bell (Was 18 teeth one), so the revs will nigher for a lower revving motor... Though I might try a 16 teeth one, after I see how the truck runs with the clutch bell (17 Teeth)...

in the end I'm not looking for the fastest truck. Just one to have fun with....

Maybe.. But this truck is way heaver than a all plastic Savage XL (That truck short length too), and My .70 Savage sure does look like a special truck eh??.. But man you should see the Firehammer MT that I building.. All the Aluminum parts (That I had to order) comes from Germany (Not available in the US).. Also it might be just 2WD. But has all round cable disk brakes, and a 36cc Motor to get it moving (Though it'll weigh 45 pounds), and I have done a mod at the back, so now there are four shocks on the back (Normally just 2 shocks).. But I can't do that to the front.. Plus the rear diff housing is not all exposed now (I did that)...

Oh, I won't be running the Firehammer on gasoline but camper fuel.. That way I can keep the truck in my house, as Camper fuel don't have that awful gas smell (Gasser motor will run cleaner too).. I do know that camper is low on Octane... But Gassers engines will run on Camper fuel. That's what a lot of gasser heli flyers use now (I asked them the question)... On the Runryder forum (I some 450 size Electric heli's)

Last edited:
Maybe.. But this truck is way heaver than a all plastic Savage XL (That truck short length too), and My .70 Savage sure does look like a special truck eh??.. But man you should see the Firehammer MT that I building.. All the Aluminum parts (That I had to order) comes from Germany (Not available in the US).. Also it might be just 2WD. But has all round cable disk brakes, and a 36cc Motor to get it moving (Though it'll weigh 45 pounds), and I have done a mod at the back, so now there are four shocks on the back (Normally just 2 shocks).. But I can't do that to the front.. Plus the rear diff housing is not all exposed now (I did that)...

Oh, I won't be running the Firehammer on gasoline but camper fuel.. That way I can keep the truck in my house, as Camper fuel don't have that awful gas smell (Gasser motor will run cleaner too).. I do know that camper is low on Octane... But Gassers engines will run on Camper fuel. That's what a lot of gasser heli flyers use now (I asked them the question)... On the Runryder forum (I some 450 size Electric heli's)
Camper fuel? Kerosene?

The smell of pump gas in my house is one of the reasons I didn't drive my 5B much.

Hope to see some videos :) of it goin

There’ll be no vids posted as the truck will be slow and overheating trying to hold high rpms,
I’ve had a mgt s50 with a thunder tiger pro 70 motor fitted,
Absolute pig of an engine,
Very low rpm and little power
I ran mine on 30% heli fuel and still a shite engine,
I’m all in for a project but the pro 70 is not the engine to be bigging up,
A force 28 will out torque and out rev pro 70,
I’ve only had 5+ of them over the years.

Latest posts

Members online

Back