HPI Savage high idle problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomzZeH

I start my savage fine , it idles perfectly fine however once its warm, it starts to idle very high and it can't be right (see video) i am new to nitro rc and was just wondering if anyone had any idea on what the problem is and how i can go about fixing it. It also gives out a lot less power/speed when its doing this. i have also managed to never get the car to go into 2nd gear any advice on why this is would be great aswell.

Thanks Tom

There's an adjustment screw on the carb for the idle. Also, your linkage needs to be adjusted so that when you apply the brake, the carb slide doesn't move as it should be resting on the idle adjustment screw when at idle.
CarbDiagram2.jpg

With the air filter/neck off, receiver on and transmitter at rest (neutral), when you look down the carb, there should be around a 1mm air gap. This is your idle setting. You adjust the idle screw/throttle linkage as shown in the lower right corner of the above image to get that 1mm gap with the engine off, then fine tune it with the engine running/warmed up.

Here's another to show you the "idle gap" I'm talking about (ignore the other settings regarding the HSN/LSN as those are specific to an engine that probably isn't yours):
basic%20carb%20adjustments.gif

Also, you might be a bit lean on the LSN. Check your manual to see what factory setting is for your specific engine and reset it to factory. It sounds like it's a lean idle to me as well as too high. But it could just be set to have too high of idle, so adjust the idle set screw/idle gap first.

From the looks of the speed, it appears you might be stuck in second gear, which could be caused by the high idle causing it to engage/hang.

Last edited:
There's an adjustment screw on the carb for the idle. Also, your linkage needs to be adjusted so that when you apply the brake, the carb slide doesn't move as it should be resting on the idle adjustment screw when at idle.
CarbDiagram2.jpg

With the air filter/neck off, receiver on and transmitter at rest (neutral), when you look down the carb, there should be around a 1mm air gap. This is your idle setting. You adjust the idle screw/throttle linkage as shown in the lower right corner of the above image to get that 1mm gap with the engine off, then fine tune it with the engine running/warmed up.

Here's another to show you the "idle gap" I'm talking about (ignore the other settings regarding the HSN/LSN as those are specific to an engine that probably isn't yours):
basic%20carb%20adjustments.gif

Also, you might be a bit lean on the LSN. Check your manual to see what factory setting is for your specific engine and reset it to factory. It sounds like it's a lean idle to me as well as too high. But it could just be set to have too high of idle, so adjust the idle set screw/idle gap first.

From the looks of the speed, it appears you might be stuck in second gear, which could be caused by the high idle causing it to engage/hang.
Thanks so much! i will be sure to try this and see if there is an improvement

Mine did that and I had the screw too tight that holds on the on the throttle brake servo arm. It was flexing the TVP and causing the throttle to bounce back open and stick when I braked. The top half of the arm is moved by a circular spring and needs to be loose enough to allow the 2 halves to move independantly.

There's a great instructional video at hpi. I registered my truck and they have tutorials that help understand carb setting

Latest posts

Members online

Back