1. Ask questions. Share your HPI Savage knowledge. Register TODAY!

Welcome to HPISavageForum, a friendly forum to discuss the Savage RC Truck.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HPI is trying to pull a traxxas... 17mm wheel adapters

Discussion in 'Chassis & Drivetrain' started by olds97_lss, Jan 26, 2016.

1. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

Just ran across these 17mm adapters for a savage on HPI's site:
    https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/114341
    [​IMG]

Traxxas does that on the revo and no matter how hard you try, they egg out where the threads rub the inside of the hub. However, they do have the nut on there, so that may help with the wear issue some.

On my revo's, I'm actually using HPI's old e-savage 17mm hexes on one and I cut off the "shaft" part of the traxxas hub just to use the hex with the current savage 5mm x 17mm flange nut, which works even better since the old e-savage 17mm hex's are a unicorn to find anymore.

2. X

X Conspiracy of One HPISF Staff

I saw those. Was debating grabbing a set to give it a try. Are you saying they may not be worth a shot?

3. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Well-Known Member

You can give them a shot. I just know that I bought 4 sets for my revo that all egg out where the hub rides on the threads. Over time, it just grinds away at the inside of the hub, then you have really nasty slop. The revo runs clear to the end of the axle though, so you can't put a nut on it. With this, it appears they use the nut to help lock the hub on, which may help avoid the egging issue the revo/traxxas approach has.

This guy did what I did to mine:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8952788-Cheap-NO-SLOP-hex-mod-using-stock-17mm-adapters

4. Megasavageman

Megasavageman New Member

Got a fuel bottle? u know the ones with the aluminum tube. it fits tight over the threads and tight to tge 17mm adapter. if your good u can remove the adapter pinand drill thru the sleeve and then no slop. no extra nut on the end to bind tire, plus its hand made original.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted