How to tune a Savage xl 5.9 Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robo3

I have a Savage xl with a 5.9 nitro motor that I am having a very hard time trying to get it tuned correctly.
Please help me out I am about to pull my hair out.LOL.

What kind of issues are you having? I eventually opted to upgrade to an LRP. 32 as I wasn't getting much luck with the stock 5.9 engine.

Here are a couple of tuning sites that help me out:

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

http://www.google.com/forum/r-c-parts/nitro-engines/7025-tuning-the-lrp-30-the-nitroshop-way

(Although the second link states LRP 30 tuning, it's pretty much the same concept).

Checkout engine sealing thread and then try a tune, I think the biggest problem is the carby especially that mid range needle which isn't a needle it's the seat for the low range needle. if you have no air leaks in your engine, carby or fuel line go back to factory settings get your truck warm, don't try to tune until you have the engine up to temp. Then just automatically go 1 full turn in on your high speed needle then turn in 1/8th increments until your are getting good top speed and or your car does the bog down at full throttle, then back of 1/8 turn. Tuning the Low speed needle is about accelerating off the mark quicker, let your car rest at idle for 10 seconds then squeeze to 3/4 throttle if it doesn't get of the mark quickly and leaves a big puff of smoke turn in 1/8 then even smaller adjustments after this.
I am presuming you have already broken in your motor.

I did what everyone told me to do and now I can't get it to start at all once it stalled.
Please help me out because now it doesn't want to start at all and the glow plug igniter is charged.
It was after I adjusted the carb.
Help me out.

Try putting the needles back to factory setting and start from there.

Honestly, I was experiencing the same issues with the 5.9 engine. Took me about a month of trying to tune that engine until I decided to upgrade to an LRP. 32 which is almost the same price as buying a new 5.9 engine.

I have not regrets so far with the purchase.

Also check you flywheel placement, are you able to turn it with a bit of force? The problem I had was the collet which was spacing out the flywheel to the engine melted which caused the engine to shutdown everytime I let go of the throttle.

Just giving you another area to check rather than just checking the carb settings.

I did put it to the factory settings that is when it stalled and now I can't get it to start I pulled out the glow plug and checked it with the igniter and burned my finger LOL so I it isn't that.

is the engine hard to turn? it could be flooded. Remove the glow plug and flip the truck upside down, they crank the engine to let the excess fuel out.

Did that also and it isn't flooded I just can't get it to start it turns over fine that is why I think something is out of tune because it did run but it was smoking a bit too much that why I tried to adjust it but instead I made it worse and now it won't start.

I have tried everythingI could think of and now I am getting pissed off.
I am almost ready to sell it if I can't get it running soon.

Just turn the high needle in a bit and try to fire it up, remove the airfilter and see if fuel is getting to the carb and :ercm: if the glow plug is good and is fueling then it should fire up...

I will give it a try tomorrow since it is a little too late to try it now.
I will let you know how things go.

Got it started but now I have another problem I broke my roto starter shaft so I can't start it until I get another one.
I fix one thing and something else breaks.
I think I have the worst luck ever. LOL.

Got it started but now I have another problem I broke my roto starter shaft so I can't start it until I get another one.
I fix one thing and something else breaks.
I think I have the worst luck ever. LOL.

:LMAO-large::LMAO-large: seems it is always something, get a couple of them and I guarantee you will never break it again..... ah well murphys law at work....

Latest posts

Members online

Back