How to: change that 2speed to a flux single speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

This is a tutorial for those who convert there savage to brushless or electric. It will show you how to convert any 2 speed nitro tranny into a flux 1 speed. It's very simple, all you need is a $8 (part #: HPI 100905}

step 1:
start by opening up the tranny and pulling out the center gear set.
DSC01829.jpg

step 2:
next take the metal gear off of the center gear set of the 2 speed. it is held on by 1 c clip. once you remove it take the other parts and just put them in storage as you will no longer need them.
DSC01830.jpg

step 3:
take the flux idler gear kit (hpi 100905) and open it up, this is what you should have.
DSC01815.jpg

step 4:
take the shaft that comes from the kit and one c clip, take the c clip and put it on the small groove that is furthest from the 3 holes on the shaft.
DSC01820.jpg

step 5:
take one of the pins from the kit and insert it in the first hole up from the c clip you just installed
DSC01822.jpg

step 6:
take the idler gear from the kit and put it over the pin you just installed
DSC01824.jpg

step 7:
take the 2 shims from the kit and put it on top of the gear you just installed (you may need to buy some more shims. then take the second pin from the kit and insert it thru the hole right above the shims you just installed (second hole/middle hole) with my kit it needed 2 more shims then supplied as it was still a little loose with just the 2 supplied from the kit) any 6mm ID shims will work.
DSC01827.jpg

step 8:
take the metal gear you removed from the 2 speed gear set and put it on the shaft and over the pin you just installed.
DSC01832.jpg

step 9:
take another c clip from the kit and put it on the groove right above the gear you just installed.
DSC01834.jpg

step 10:
now just take the 2 bearings from your tranny (2 speed) and put one on each end of the gear set you just made.
DSC01843.jpg

step 11:
install the gear set into the tranny and check for side to side movement AND also the alignment from the smaller gear one the gear set to the gear on the lower drive shaft inside of the tranny. you want them as close to perfect as you can get.
put shims just inside of the bearing on the side that they are needed to get the perfect alignment of the gears.
DSC01837.jpg

step 12:
shim the top gear to the idler gear on the center shaft. you want the gear as close the the center of the top gear set.
shim.jpg

step 13:
put the top of the tranny back on and your done.

Those of you who hate reading, I made a video too:

Here is a link to the 6mm shims I used in the video - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=CLN4736

link to the idler gear. It can be found cheaper but me linking it to tower assures instead of something like ebay assures it will stay listed.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWVC4&P=PU

Nice thread baddrick +1. moved it to drivetrain-electric & stuck it.

Very nice will this work for nitro as well?

it will work, but you'll only get 1 single speed so its a backward step for nitro my man.

the power from the flux will ultimately grenade a tranny that shifts.

i say you'll be fine on a 2-speed or even a 3-speed if you exercise a bit of throttle control.

a friend of mine tried it & the top end was a little disappointing. he's act gonna trade me the parts to make this flux tranny

Great tutorial bad! :resp:

anyway we could get a copy of this in the how to section? can't have you b/l's guys hogging good info :nono: :)

i say you'll be fine on a 2-speed or even a 3-speed if you exercise a bit of throttle control.

a friend of mine tried it & the top end was a little disappointing. he's act gonna trade me the parts to make this flux tranny

Hmmm wonder who this is... Pope, do the newer 2nd gear flux tranny. I don't have a part # at this point but Ill post back. My ERCM picco turned a 1 speed 3rd gear tranny good but the 2nd gear is all you need. I don't go nice on the gas and blew 2 and 3 speeds with the ecrm drag picco. This did fix the heavy finger issue. No OWB and clutches let you lube the gears in this set up too.

This is the 2nd gear set up same as the 1st gear set up that BA has posted. pinion is much stouter looking then the 1st gear too!
#102244 HIGH SPEED IDLER GEAR 39T / SHAFT SET

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXZN7&P=7 not in USA stock yet. that price will likely come down as well. From the pics this a machined part and not cast like the other. its price may be higher. Towers pre-stock price is always on the high side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking about my winter project worried about putting a ERCM's drag modded picco in a two speed.:evilrocker:

do..... i had the stock XL 3 speed in my ERCM picco and never had a problem with it. i ran it rich and was still spanking booties on the regular.....there ain't no need to performance tune it because it's damn near brushless power........keep her rich and ride on!:jamout:

good thread. this came in handy for my xl to flux conversion.

the 3 speed actually needs all new gears to be converted to a flux.

It shares none of the gears so keep that in mind for you guys converting a 3 speed to a one speed.

Latest posts

Members online

Back