How does motor KV affect performance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddie_fiddler

Hey all,

EDIT
For reference, this is the combo I've been looking into getting for the rig.

So I'm looking into upgrading the drive-train in my xl flux. I run it on 4s and 6s.
I'm looking for an explanation into how motor Kv affects the performance of a rig. How do you choose the right Kv for a rig? Is gear ratio more important than choosing different kv motors?

I've been running the HW ezrun max8 combo for a while now, running a 2200kv motor.
I'm looking to keep the truck more focused at 6s power and down the track will be swapping the center diff from rc4me with one from alza racing. Alza's recommendation for this is "lower kv or use 11t pinion".

If anyone has any info or can link me to blogs, videos, posts etc on this topic I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, is going sensored worth it on big rigs like these savages or not really??

Not sure I'd go with that motor, it's lower KV, but it's also a shorter can, so likely less torque than a similar kv that was a 74mm can. It would be likely better for a 1/8th buggy or lighter truggy.

Depending on the room you have, might be better off looking for a 4074 or longer/bigger OD that can handle the weight better.

I run the MMX 2200kv in my flux hp with the rc4me center diff trans and 16/48 (I think) gearing, it still runs on the warm side on 6S, but I can run through a full set of packs pretty hard without it overheating. It also has a set of trencher 3.8's that are strapped.

I have 2 unsensored 6S trucks and the flux hp that is sensored. Unless your going to be crawling slowly through the woods or something, it doesn't seem to really have much benefit.

Not sure I'd go with that motor, it's lower KV, but it's also a shorter can, so likely less torque than a similar kv that was a 74mm can. It would be likely better for a 1/8th buggy or lighter truggy.

Yea I noticed this after adding the link ?‍♂️
I'm going with the same esc, however a different motor actually suited for MTs.
ESC - XeRun XR8 Plus
Motor - XeRun 4274 SD G2

The Kv of this motor seems a bit unclear on Hobbywings site tho. Product name states it 2200KV, but in the specs its 1600kv ?

1590712067287.png

I can always move away from hobbywing too I guess, but I really like their stuff. I want an esc with datalogging features so I can monitor the rig after runs and such.

Pretty sure some of Castles offerings has this feature.

As for your gearing, how do tou find it runs? My gearing is terrible, using a robinson racing 44t spur and a (I think) 23t pinion. I really don't like it but it was what I had at the time. Now that I'm rebuilding it though I might get a much smaller pinion. Probably something around 14t. Gives me a ratio of about 3.1 instead of the terrible ratio of 1.9 that I'm currently running. Never had an overheating issue with the current setup tho which is odd

With 16/48, it still feels a hair tall with the rc4me.us center diff trans on 6S. I can run through an entire pack without it overheating on me, but it does get pretty warm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back