high speed 3rd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach_406

hey everyone, I am wondering how many people are using the high speed 3rd gear set in their 3 speeds. And what CB/Spur your using?

the reason I ask is because I am having trouble finding the right cb\spur combo. I had 18\47 but once it hit 3rd gear it wouldn't pull it. went to 17\47, and it was a little better, now I'm at 16\47 and its pretty good, but i think Ill go to a 49 tooth spur and see what that does. Just curious to see if anyone else has a pretty good set up that is able to rev out 3rd gear. oh, and I have a Picco .28P3 with a buku pipe, so I'm making pretty good power.

My 4.1 is being ported and polished so I'm wondering if i should wait until that is done to see how to change my combo

I'm very interested to hear more about the high speed third gear conversion... does it make a huge difference compared to the stock 3 speed? and how hard are they to adjust your shift points on?

18/49 in both trucks. The sts.30 could go to 18/47. The sh like 18/49. I found 18/49 to work great in my freinds truck eith a picco.28. 18/47 was a little steep. 17/47 would be good too. about the same as 18/49. Those #s are all with the hs 3spd and big joes.

Good, thats right about where I ended up. thanks grumpy. And nitroaddict, the high speed 3rd gear makes a big difference, it is quite a bit taller. And ya, it did take some time to get the shift points right where i wanted them. It just makes me curious about the xl. it has the same transmission gears as we do, with the taller 3rd gear, but its using 16/52?

my thoughts on the xl are yes it has a monster of a engine but the truck is longer,wider and has huge tires "which means more weight" so I'm thinking its not gonna be as scary fast as people think but looks like a heck of a basher lol

ya it must not be. even with the 17/47 gears and the higher 3rd gear I had no problem keeping up with the xl that I ran with. However, a buddy of mine is coming to town next weekend with his xl, so I will be able to get a little better idea of what it can really do. Ill keep you all posted.

Post pic of your twin's !!!

Here you go,

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

You can view my entire photobucket ablum here.

Gav

15/52

I used the 17/47 stock gearing with the taller 3rd gear and I couldnt get it to shift. I switched to 15/52 and it kicks ***!

I'm very interested to hear more about the high speed third gear conversion... does it make a huge difference compared to the stock 3 speed? and how hard are they to adjust your shift points on?

I run a 47/17 with the hispeed 3rd gear & not difficult to adjust 2nd to 3rd at all. as far as making a difference? put in the hi speed 3rd & hold on to your underwear.best part is its only $10. bad driver bad driver bad driver

It seems as though i am having some issues with my savvy x 4.6

I also installed the 3 speed tranny (without the high speed 3rd gear yet) I'm running 18/47 and it does not want to shift, it's like it going on only 1 gear. I'm going to the local hobby shop today to pick up a high speed 3rd gear, and i'm also thinking about putting on another racing clutch bell. Any recommendations?

Like i said, right now i'm running 18/47... should i go to 17, 16, 15.....

Thanks.

I personally would not go lower than a 17t cb. the three speeds can be difficult to adjust because you have to take the top of the tranny out to adjust 2nd gear. I personally have a high speed 3rd gear and have run 18/47 and 18/49. I am about to drop down to a 17/49

Too fast Allan ? I run both 47/18-19 with the stock diffs. 17 with cens and just went down again to 16 w/the cens with no tests yet. The 3 speed w/out the hi-speed is not faster than the 2 speed just has better shift points to make the truck accelerate faster. But that's only if you tune it right. Hi- speed 3rd is faster than the 2 speed. Never had a issue with getting any combo to top speed/rpms..

Latest posts

Members online

Back