Hi to all new on here with a savage 21bb/3.5 need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daz...I been away at work this afternoon and now off for a few hours. I would not focus too much on stock setttings. I've seem multiple documentation "wrong". It's kind of a golden rule when you don't know stock...flus

There is no such thing as correct needle settings. It does not exists within certin parameters. Thanks...I'll follow up soon.

Put your needles to flush both high-speed and low-speed then implement the process that I'd sent you. Are you saying that by the time you finish tuning the top in to go to the bottom and it's three full turns in?

I assume that is not the case and I misunderstanding if that is the case what point does it start blogging during the tuning process?
You will almost always have to go back and revisit the high-speed after laying down your idle.
This could be either from the ballistic RPMs carrying on (in other words the item remains high after WOT) or if it drops then rises. Also most needle settings are from all the way in back and not from flush. While the tune it dictates the needle settings three full turns in from flush is quite a lot.
I have some engines where fully tuned the high-speed is outside of flush. So you never know which is why would like to see it at that point in the tuning process if possible.

Do you think you could possibly send a short video of each stage in that tuning process? It might help pinpoint exactly where there could be an issue. Thanks

And for clarification when I say needle settings you have to types: the type were someone ask "what are your current needle settings?" usually that is in from flush. And then often a manufacturer will recommend a stock setting.
Usually that is out from bottom. This is why my recommendation is to not think in terms of Neil settings put it to flush and flush and go from there.

My needle setting are Hsn 3 turns from fully closed not flush . And my Lsn is 4 turns from fully closed not from flush . I am of work for the weekend now so I will try and get a bit of spare time / daylight to take it out and try and tune it . Spare time and daylight is hard to cum buy . I'll try my best to get a cupple of vids of my tuning proses

The good news here is you still have not ruled out your tune. When you next tune it be listening for the first time it bogs like it is doing now.
I say this is good new as often I'll see guys blame their inability to tune on their engine,. I promise once we get this calmed down, I can help you get that engine running like a real beast..but first thing is this base tune else it won't happen.

Your throttle settings looked good (aside for the wide idle gap). In fact if you close it a mm now, one of two thigs would happen...it would die (LSN phat) or the bogging would decrease significantly (masking a poor tune--happens t a lot of people. I've helped some guys (whose engines now straight-up get crackng) but they were frustrated at first because they were 100% convinced their tunes were okay but needed a specific pipe or a specific engine for it to rock. Ha! What happens is guys cannot lower the idle properly else it will die. So they think "I can't lower my idle any more that it is...but thanks for playing!" But their idle high so they richen there the LSN--or get alum clutch shoes--which make no sense at all) The real problem here is they could not lower their idle because the LSN was so rich. So by richening it further, they made it in to a catch 22. Some guys seal them (often messing something up), I've seen four (4) people who bailed out..bought a certain engine to" and,eventually realized....it was their tune after I worked with them. I can ask them to post here or message you...they might do a beter job explaining what I'm trying to explain than I can.

So the light will come on.,.took me a few years though --even now it's still dim). ;-) Seriously the fun starts when you really get your engine tuned. As in for really real tuned., ;-)

If l

Last edited:
This is another father-son team showing their son's buggy and an example of the RPMs runing on at 4:31-4:35. If you don't get your idle properly set (it's all about the idle-stop IMO) you would never hear that to it be so de-tuned. So it's like the more you get it properly tuned, the more you can hear issues.

Managed to get out today with my truck .. Got it going a lot better but was cut short . The bloody battery pack ran out and I didn't have my spare one charged eather . Here's a link

Also now when I am flat out not for to long the it acts as if I have let of the throttle but I haven't and If I keep it accelerating it will cut out completely

Here's another vid

Looks Great to me, maybe a tiny but more lean on the low needle but otherwise it sounds pretty good... I am not hearing a shift in there though.... other than that it sounds pretty good for a .21 truck, just think if ya put a .28 into that beast.......

Thanks was gutted when the battery went on me was finery getting sumware with it. I'm out again tomoz wether permitted 2 batteries are on charge as I speak ... Also it's not actually a savage .its a HPI MT2 fitted with a savage lump .it only a single gear ..

Ok that explains a lot... all this time I thought you were working on a savage.... ah well either way it seems to be running well......

I'm going to ask you to check a few tings later. What I'm hearing has nothing to do with the LSN (it's low-end related). I will elaborate later today as I have to run right now, but this seems like a text book case of your clutch drawing too much powe from the engine during the acceleration process. Either your clutch springs are too loose and/or something slipping .. on decel is often full engaged and not engaged. kind of clutch and what spring rates are you using? Keep in mind a clutch is not like a lightswitch this the idea behind duning it to engaged at a specific point in the RPM

The chewbacca sound on decel is caused by this has well (or (or idle-stop or slippage0.

Normally in this state if you fattem your LSN the cehicle will stumble and choke out. Howeverr, your idle is still not lay4d down so you have room here. Of course you I am not trying to tear apart your tune, and in fsct I think it's great to see the tenacity you areshowin (it will pay off).

Later today, I will endeavor to set up my Savae to behave as yours currently is...roll film on it as I go through and fix it. This way you can compare the compare the symptoms, see explicit steps in fixing it and then analyzr te results against mine. But yeaj..nice job here as you have take soe giant strieds herre,..

Last edited:
I'll upload a cupple vids later on not forecast rain today so should get it sorted today fingers crossed

Thanks rick my trucks off the road for a cupple days now my mate crashed it and snapped the front wishbone and cracked my fuel tank :angry::mad: So new parts have bean orded last night . As of now no one is having ago apart from me . Lol

Good news my trucks back up and running . Bought myself a tuned exhaust aswell fitted it all last night so just need to get it running again now and another tune will be in order :)

Don't no for shore but it's deffo a hpi one . I'll upload a pic shortley not the best pics as it's off eBay and not my photo work lol

That's the ribbed pipe. Hopefully it works well for you.

For me, that pipe was a little loud and lost a little power (low back pressure).

I don't mind the loud :) Wouldn't be happy tho with a loss of power tho

Got me truck running this tonight. It's leaving a trail of oil/fuel behind it and it seems to take forever for the second stage of the engine to cum in and then it's off . But not for long it then tries to die on WOT but if I release the throttle it stays running ... it seems like it needs leaning on the Hsn I think

Just got my savage tuned really well from following this threads advice! Thanks guys

Latest posts

Members online

Back