HellFire Shock Mounts for Big Bores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunkenMetal

So i ordered some HellFire shock mounts part#86545 from ebay, to replace the stock mount for the Big Bores...

DSC_2302.jpg

Here is what the Big Bore Stock upper Mounting hardware on a Savage X/XL shock tower looks like...
DSC_2306.jpg

So after some measuring and looking for the right screws, this is what i came up with temporarily.... I need to purchase a shorter Cap Screw to go threw that shock tower... i just used the spacers from the stock mounting hardware for the Big Bores till i can get to a hardware store, i will post what i come with when i get the proper screws...
DSC_2307.jpg

Very nice, well done and it looks much better than the way HPI says to mount it. How does the ball fit in the shock cap (Is it tight)?

Ok so after a quick chat in the shout box with Bankrupter and Neohio about the length of the Cap Screw.. they suggested to just cut some of the length of the thread off...

So i did some quick messuerments and decided about 3/8" inch would do the trick. So i used a lock nut to protect the thread got the dremmel out and went to work..
DSC_2309.jpg

DSC_2311.jpg

After it cooled down i put the cap screw back threw the shock tower and threaded the Hellfire mount on.. The mount bottoms out on the shoulder leaving about 0.080" gap.
DSC_2313.jpg

so i put one of the spacers from the big bore hardware to take that gap out... it fit perfect
DSC_2314.jpg

So after tightening all that done i put the shock on and this is how it looks now....
DSC_2315.jpg

DSC_2316.jpg

Looks good either way Sunk. But I'm going to have to think that with the proper length bolt, you will be less likely to have it back off after a hard day of bashing.

rep for being the first to post!

Looks good either way Sunk. But I'm going to have to think that with the proper length bolt, you will be less likely to have it back off after a hard day of bashing.

rep for being the first to post!

Well the thing is that the bolt is suppose to go all the way threw the shock mount so that a nut holds the shock on... so there is only one cap screw and a lock nut..... so I'm just gonna run it this way till i get a long enough cap screw or some thinner shock towers......

looks way better. I'm going to order some. if anyone figures out what size screws would work best let us know

Ok I did some drawing in a cad/cam program to illustrate and give everyone a better idea what is going on with the hellfire shock mount being mounted on Stock Savage X/XL Shock Tower.....

So Basically Need a Cap Screw that is At least 2†(50.8mm) or longer to use this mount with one cap screw and a lock nut….. Other wise just use the 2 screw method i have posted previously......

Hellfirecadcopy.jpg

Hey Sunk, how do the ball ends on those mounts fit inside the sleeve of the shock? Any better fit than the bits supplied with the big bores?

If it is a better (more sung) fit, could you please measure the width of the ball section for me?

Cheers!

Hey Sunk, how do the ball ends on those mounts fit inside the sleeve of the shock? Any better fit than the bits supplied with the big bores?

If it is a better (more sung) fit, could you please measure the width of the ball section for me?

Cheers!

I Measured both... the Diameter of the Ball mount that comes with the Big Bores is .225"(5.8mm) the Hellfire mount is .230"(5.85mm)....

Not much difference....

I Measured both... the Diameter of the Ball mount that comes with the Big Bores is .225"(5.8mm) the Hellfire mount is .230"(5.85mm)....

Not much difference....

Thanks! +Rep for you

I presume the bore of the sleeve is 6mm then.

I see you are getting rep for posting my idea lol enjoy it...

LOL ok bank showed me the Mounts, and i tried it out and posted it. sorry Bank for not saying anything in my origanal post....I didnt mean for it to seem like i was the only one that came up with the idea........

I didn't post it or take pic's other than telling you my friend. Take the credit! I shared it only with you and Judge. You shared it with the site and deserve all the credit!!!:resp:

what length hex heads did you use? I have my hellfire mounts but am having some trouble finding the correct length now. Seems the longer HPI hex heads have more of that unthreaded part which makes everything not fit!!

I used the stock mounting bole that came with the Big Bores... put one of the spacers from the big bores on, then feed it threw the shock tower, put thread lock on the mount, screw it onto the bolt, put your shock on, thread lock and a screw to hold the shock on........

I'm still looking for bolts that will go all the way threw so you can just use one bolt and a nut, but ive been lazy and haven't really looked.

Oh ok i see. i thought you found the correct length screw. i ordered a few different sizes but the longer you go the more of the unthreaded part there is which hangs out farther passed the shock tower and doesnt allow the mount to thread on all the way. ill look too maybe we can find something between the two of us looking.

Oh ok i see. i thought you found the correct length screw. i ordered a few different sizes but the longer you go the more of the unthreaded part there is which hangs out farther passed the shock tower and doesnt allow the mount to thread on all the way. ill look too maybe we can find something between the two of us looking.

Yeah I'm sure we will find something.... or just run a 3mm die down the shoulder of the bolt, you can get cap screws that are threaded to the head.... or you can get Aluminum shock towers that arent as thick as the stock towers....:resp:

I thought about different shock towers but there are certain parts i like to leave plastic and I'm not so sure i want them aluminum. rather have some weak links so other things don't break. I am in the process of trying to find hex heads threaded to the cap. hexscrews sells them but their shipping sucks so ill have to look around some more.

Yeah place like McMasterCarr, charge alot for shipping. There is a pretty nice Bearing/Fastener store here in my area just haven't had time to get out there.... i guess I'm just Lazy....yeah I'm pretty sure I'm lazy....:slapped:

I think I'm just going to get out the dremel and shave down the thicker unthreaded part. wonder if it would make the screw much weaker.

I think I'm just going to get out the dremel and shave down the thicker unthreaded part. wonder if it would make the screw much weaker.

it depends on how much you grind off.... Just try to not get it really hot... the outer diameter of the threads and the shoulder should be pretty close, so you shouldnt have to grind off to much......

Ill take a look at it tonight. Should have to take much off but i think i like using one screw rather than two.

Once i get that straight i have to figure out my shock oil problem and ill be set!!!

Ok, i went and got some M3-.05x50mm Cap Srews they are longer than the screws that come with the bigbores. i basically put spacers on the cap end till the end of the threads would be flush with the front of the shock tower. Then threaded the Hellfire shock mount onto the cap screw. When that was done there is enough thread so that you can use a washer and a Nylon lock nut to secure the shock.....

DSC_2347.jpg

:yellowhack:

I have the 50mm screws at home. i was just trying to do it without using all those spacers. Ill mess around with it when i get home tonight.

I have the 50mm screws at home. i was just trying to do it without using all those spacers. Ill mess around with it when i get home tonight.

I was trying to do the same thing...

If you had a M3-0.5 Die, you could add a few more threads so you don't have to use the spacers.....:bluehack:

yeah i don't have any tools like that but the maintenance shop is across the hall maybe ill raid their tools!!!

I finally found the m3 die. added some threads. I'm going to test fit everything tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

Back