Grooves starting to be worn in cup joints... help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noakes75

Alright, so tonight when I was cleaning my rig up I noticed that there was like a small groove starting to be cut into the cup joint (I think it's called); it's where the rear drive shaft actually goes into the rear dif. Whatever that black cup is called back there that actually takes the rear drive shaft from the tranny. also there was/is alot of play in the top of the shock towers. It isn't just the towers either, It is everything that is attached to it. I tried to tighten down all the screws on it but it was still just as loose.
Anyone have any other idea? I wanna fix it, but I just don't wanna throw parts at it all day long either and have none of them working. I was thinking new shock towers and new cup joints?! I was looking for a place to get tough ones online, but I'm not sure. Anyone has any thoughts on this that would be awesome.
I attached some pictures to try to give you some idea what I'm talking about.
thanks

i will try to tomorrow. I just assembled the whole thing. It's kinda doing it now but not as bad as before

oh, will I have to get any beefed up drive shafts or are the factory ones alright to use with those cups?

the factory ones will work noakes and the play at the top of the towers I'm assuming its the shocks is a normal thing with most of the stock shocks .i wouldnt worry about it till you break something

thanks for the thread & posts Noakes & jc, gonna grab the hd cups for my sav & HF cuz they are wearin' & tearin' the same way...
as for you shock towers Noakes, yep, get a vid like jc if you can, but if its just your shocks that have some play where they mount to the tower, then don't worry about it.... mine do the same.

i will try to get a video today. It's not just the shocks though, that's the thing. If I grab the top of the shock tower and hold the body firm. I can move the entire front, or rear end. although the rear does it more. It's not only just the shocks, it's the tires, shocks, a-arms, everything in the front end. Basically the whole thing moves that is attached from the plastic to the frame. I don't know if it's just weak and needs to be reinforced of what? I will try to get a video today though.

I would not recommend the HD drive cups. I have been there and got the T-shirt ! The HD cups wear just as quick if not quicker than the stock black ones. The chrome finish is poor quality and soon starts to come off, then the metal underneath wears rapidly. A waste of money IMO.

I would not recommend the HD drive cups. I have been there and got the T-shirt ! The HD cups wear just as quick if not quicker than the stock black ones. The chrome finish is poor quality and soon starts to come off, then the metal underneath wears rapidly. A waste of money IMO.

Well then which ones would you recommend?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back