Goodsy's Brushless Savage XL build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodsy

Decided on an XL.

Reason. The Savage X pulls wheels like no tomorrow but I reckon wheelies are useless and only good to show off to ya mates.

Another project begins. The X is stripped.

Front and rear diffs rebuilt with the aid of another Savage X now mounted to XL TVP's.

Just have to put the stuff in the middle. I reckon I get equal enjoyment out of building them and bashing them. lol

2012-02-04155549-1.jpg
[/quote]

Choice of power plant this time. No cheapy The big blue no namer in the X failed big time.

2012-02-06165815-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Motor installed with a little work from the Dremel. The Flux motor mount made it a lot easier but still not a bolt on to the XL TVP's.

motorin-1-1.jpg

bside-1.jpg

Had to remove a top section of the TVP here to allow the Flux motor mount room. Will have to reinforce next.

aside-2.jpg

nice build i made my own motor mount but thinking to get the flux ones what gearing r u running

nice build i made my own motor mount but thinking to get the flux ones what gearing r u running

47T spur, 16T pinion. HobbyKing 150A esc ATM supplied by 2X3s 5000mAh 30C Zippy Batts.
Reckon the ESC will sit nicely behind the motor. Bonus of the XL TVP's.

Also bolted these on for a bit more width.

hpi%20savage%20xl%20extended%20axles.JPG

Made up ESC mount plate. Those extra 2 inches of the XL are very handy.

2012-02-08175444-1.jpg

2012-02-08202821-1.jpg

It's alive!

Finished off the electrics now just the shell to go. Not sure what to get as I need one suitable for a 400mm wheel base.
Could just buy a HPI XL shell but want something different.

ESCIN-1.jpg

side2-1.jpg

above-1.jpg

]-[0pa]0ng;204762 said:
good looking truck and build thread. Thanks for taking the time

Thanks.

I know it's not as impressive as most of the other builds/projects out there but done on a budget.
Believe me I am jealous of some of the other builds!!

Just wanted to show you can do a brushless build quite cheaply.

$200 for the Savage X with 2.4 radio gear and about another $200 spent on parts for the build.

So for an outlay of $400 I'm pretty happy.

Shell wise I've got my eyes on a Humvee ATM. :cool:

It is finished!:woo:

Running 16T pinion 47T spur. Torque is unbelievable. Going to try an 18T pinion the calm it down a bit.

Thebeast-1.jpg

inside-1.jpg

Serious bashing for 20mins in ambient 30C and the motor never got above 68C. No cooling fan needed.
I can now see the difference between a cheapo motor and a good one.

Now just a name??

Still going strong. Rear diff failed. Rebuilt and shimmed up tight.

Love this RC. Savage is so strong it can even handle the extra torque of brushless.

:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Back