Gear Meshing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmuff

so, i put my new spear gear and clutch bell combo into my savage and then i only had 2 runs with it
1 run was a while ago, and it was pretty warm, and it seemed to be working fine.
but today, i ran it, and all of a sudden, it just started not going anywhere (but the engine was revving)
so then i looked, and my spur gear was completely ruined! although my clutch bell is fine.
now, i believe this is because my gears were not meshed together properly, but I'm not sure what to do then!
when i put these gears in, i did the whole paper thing in between and everything seemed fine.
what do you guys think i should do next time i put a new combo in it?
Picture009-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

check your motor mounts bolt, looks like they came loose...check the bolts holding the motor to the engine mount and the bolts under the truck holding the mount to the chassis.

make sure your slipper clutch isn't too loose, that will cause heat and melt the spur

I strip spurs if I do the paper thing. Mine has to be slightly tighter than the paper trick. If I set it that way a new spur is a little tight at first. I run it slow for half tank. It wears in the spur and then the mesh is perfect.

I make the motor be as tight as possible with the spur gear, I push it over as far as I can get it.

I'm not even sure of what to do now
i thought the paper method was the way of doing it, but people have different ways
and the paper method worked for a while for me, but not no more
i stripped another spur gear, and i uno which way to tighten it now

my way of setting the mesh is a little different, I push the engine over as far as it will go towards the spur gear, then I gradually back it off until it turns smoothly,double check it, then tighten it down, and I never have any problems unless my engine comes loose.

ok so right now I'm tightening my spur gear
I'm trying to make it tight enough, so that it doesent always slip, but it needs to be loose enough to not hurt the gear, right?
so how loose should i have it?
right now, i can hold the spur gear ad hard as i can, and push it on my carpet, and the gear wont slip, nor does the tires
should i loosen it?

well, doing that is a problem
because I'm just tightening a bolt onto a spring, and that spring will like, fold up, and and some of the spring will like pop out, u know what i mean?
and not to mention, wont that be extremely too tight?

need a new sping I am gessing , never had that problem

ok but the way your telling me makes it sound like the spring is the problem >>>>>>>????? IDK post pic I gess

thats a new one w/ the spring, Never had that happen HAS ANYONE !!!!??????

well no, the spring isnt really the problem
ok, lets start over
the manual tells me to tighten the bolt until it stops
so what i do, is tighten it, and then as ANY spring would do, once the coils in the spring get tight enough, the could will spring out, and then u can kind of see the coils not in the solid circle anymore, but they are being pushed out
this will happen with any spring if u tighten it too much
so I'm probally tightening it too much
so the book tells me to tighten it all the way (i don't know where that it obviously) and then turn it out a half turn
how am i going to know when to stop tightening it?

The spring should NOT do that at all, I tighten mine till it wont tighten anymore then back it off 1/2 turn THATS IT !

here is a picture to help what I'm saying
notice how the middle coil is kind of popping out? thats what happens when u tighten a spring too much
Spring2.jpg

Spring1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol but don't you see that the coils are starting to come out?
if i had enough strength, i could honestly just keep tightening and tightening
i don't know when to stop!

Latest posts

Members online

Back