Garage Queen Savage 25 to XL Rebuild - A Project Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooGoCow

So after a week of questions, sourcing parts and spending way too much money on little pieces of plastic and alloy I have got enough parts together to at least make a start on the rebuild.

The original 25 was put away 13/14 years ago and left in a cupboard in the garage - it was never meant to be put away for so long but that's life I guess. Two kids later - its time to try and get them interested which is where the inspiration for this build came from. 3 weeks ago I had no thoughts of ever returning to RC!

The plan is to rebuild the 25 - basically upgrading everything to XL spec, extended chassis, upgraded transmission components - diffs etc. suspension, .32 engine and more. Most of the major parts have been sourced off the markets but a new suite of bearings, o-rings, shell and various other parts are being installed new. There will be some self made mods in the build - nothing too great, don't have the tooling to push any boundaries. I will need to make a mount for an Arrma wheelie bar, maybe a rear spoiler and I need to flush mount a LiPo cut off switch in the radio box. I will build this out with the stock .25 before replacing with a .32, I want to make sure I can get a solid Savage put together before smashing a high power nitro in there and going through tuning - chassis etc. first get it right then drop the new engine in. I still don't know if the .25 will fire - it looks clean but not got that far yet so it may be straight in with a new .32 - time will tell!

A few bits have arrived, enough to make a start on improving the look of the chassis and installing the cut off switch in the new radio box.

Apologies for picture quality - these first images are off a Honor 8 Pro in poor lighting but will have to do until I reclaim the garage from the spiders!

The TVP's were purchased off E-Bay and while straight were a little scuffed but for £30 delivered they are as expected: Pic isn't great but too late to get another!

I found a carbon fiber vinyl sheet in the loft leftover from an old PC build, the 3M adhesive was still good so thought I would see how it looked. Just enough to cover one side of each TVP plate:

An hours work and to be honest the finish looked pretty good. I've no idea how long it will last but decided to get another sheet off Amazon for a few quid and finish the other sides as well. As its not permanent, its not much effort to pull the TVP plates off and replace etc. Certainly looks better than they arrived. The edges were finished off with an oil based 'paint pen' inside all of the cut outs and main frame edges.

Finished TVP's

The TVP's will be replaced if the 'right' ones come up for sale on marketplaces - for now they will do just fine and allow me to get the rest of the build started.

Received a large delivery from Wheelspin this morning with loads of bits (will post up the collection tomorrow) including the new radio box (XL) and the receiver cut off switch. The switch has a LiPo mode which cuts power once the source voltage drops below 6V preventing damage to the battery:

Set to work with a craft knife and file to make a cut out for the switch in the space preset for the HPI battery meter. Ended up with this:

I measured the space for the 2500mah LiPo on my old Savage radio box. I am very fortunate but the new battery JUST fits in the XL unit - Its a 1mm either way and it would not! :

That's it for today's progress - Have tomorrow and Friday booked off work to clear out the garage and deal with a leak in the roof. I want to reclaim my 'workshop' from the spiders - it is infested... I am prepared with a spider nuke bomb or two... The misses won't put up with this on the dining table for much longer so I have to get it done and move in there. Also makes it much easier to hide deliveries - and there are so many coming at the moment she won't believe the 'yeah only cost a fiver' for so long...

So it will be the weekend before this continues, hopefully in the garage and by which time the last remaining parts should be here.

Thanks for reading!

MooGoCow!

Logo-Transparent-Background.png

Primary aim and the parts I'm struggling with right now (in the UK) is the machined BP diffs. To which end I contacted HPI directly to moan about lack of parts and had a lengthy response about their current position with post takeover blues. Long story short, they are making the machined diffs again and apparently about to release something new which is interesting:

Their reply:

The Machined Bulletproof differentials are an item that was affected by the factory closure in Taiwan. It has taken us much longer than we would have liked, but we have found an alternative supplier that can provide these at a quality we expect from a HPI Racing product. A large batch is due to hit the warehouse in August.
We hopefully also have a new third option on the way for the Crown gear and Pinion that came about from our extensive search for alternatives, these we will be looking to announce shortly.

As most people reading this will have an interest in the Savage this is Interesting news for sure.

Great stuff and an interesting read. ?

Good news about the BP diffs as numerous discussions are on the Web about HPI and their future, parts availability etc.

The carbon effect wrap is good stuff - I use it as a cool looking chassis protector on my XT8 17. ?

Your build will be well worth the effort. I look forward to the next installment! ?

You were brave modding the radio box before running the switch.

Hope the vinyl stays stuck after covered in nitro exhaust oil.

You were brave modding the radio box before running the switch.

Hope the vinyl stays stuck after covered in nitro exhaust oil.

Next to no chance of it staying on permanently but I'll switch the TVP, particularly if an aftermarket 'bling' chassis appears for sale down the line. I'm pretty much done on spend now - just the engine to add later.

Edit: bugger... and wheels...
Edit 2: double bugger... driveshafts...

:facepalm:

If you like 40 series wheels and tyres, you can get still get them from Integy. They're lower profile than most MT tyres, the wheels are light yet bullet proof and work with 23mm hubs, which Integy also sell. They appear to be Proline items - rebranded - as Proline no longer make them. ?

Edit: they're really reasonably priced too! ?

Sorry for the lack of updates on this. The garage 'clean out' has become more of a complete overhaul and only now am I starting to move tools that have been scattered all over into their new home. As usual once I get started on something it becomes bigger and bigger... Really pleased I've put the effort in though.

Anyway, as the workshop will soon be ready I bit the bullet and ordered the LRP .32 along with some Arrma 4S LP Backflip wheels and tires. I've been patiently waiting for some second hand prolines to come up but that patience wore out. Wheelspin showed them as in stock at supplier so pulled the trigger while I had the chance.

Hopefully have some updates before the weekend, or over the weekend at the very least!

Look forward to it MooGoCow, can’t beat Wheel spin models for service & stock of savage parts! ??
Weren’t tempted to go with prolines 3.2 MX Tyre/wheels apart from price then?

Combination of size, reviews and price led to the 4S choice. The badlands mx are over 170mm diameter and will add considerable additional strain on the drive train. Given the lack of available parts at the moment I felt the smaller option the safest choice especially as I've pulled the trigger on the .32 engine.

Can always go big later ??

Just realised you said the 3.2's not the 3.8's. Don't think I've seen any 3.2's around only 3.8 and 2.8.

Yes sorry typo meant 3.8 size your correct, yes agree don’t want to go to big to put undue strain on things.
Have found there either okay on width but not on diameter or other way round, for now I’am sticking with my faithful HPI dirt bones on dish wheels!
These Badlands are 150 x 70mm where as my dirt bones are 135 x 85mm & have performed pretty good when I used to race with them, just wished I had the sway bar set back then!
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/119316/

Thanks for the link, I had seen them but comparing apples to apples it's £90 a set over £60 a set and both come recommended.

Hmmm... Sway bars... Must.... Resist....

Yes I know what your saying I could not believe cost, but I guess they do last & hold up well like my Dirt bones which are easily 16yrs old with no sign of real wear or splits/cracking on tyres.
Can’t see cheaper Chinese copy’s holding up that long, I guess you pay for what you get!
Can’t find sway bar set anywhere in stock, wheel spin told me at least 8 weeks away & got an email from HPI saying due to on going supply problems can’t give me a in stock delivery date currently!

You don't need hpi sway bar set. Find a used buggy sway bar set for the links then get 2.5mm piano wire, cut and bend to shape. Fix using stock screw holes at front with washers and screw.

Still using Dirt Bonz from 2004, if you stay off tarmac and gravel then they seem to last, it's the foam inserts that deteriorate over a decade. The rubber used in no / unknown brand tyres tend to crack relatively quickly, which I assume is due to the use of an inferior / cheaper compound. However the price for branded 1/8 tyres is too close to 1:1 tyres imo.

So after several weeks graft the garage is finally sorted and moved the Savage bits in last night.

The garage has always been damp, initially thought this was coming through the floor but then I spotted damage to the inside of the roof tiles above where teh moisture wouldappear on the floor. These are asbestos/cement tiles so had to be careful but repaired with some flashing. Several heavy downpours and not a spot of leakage or damp anywhere. Confident now it will stay dry.

Started looking this:

Spiders Everywhere:

Midway through:

A Vice! Always wanted a vice! Essential tool working on RC cars in my past life...

After sealing and painting the floor, walls, fixing the leak in the roof and expanding foam filler around the roof edges, putting up shelves, cleaning everywhere (clearing all cobwebs and spider nests), sorting through every tool, screw, nut and bolt it's done:

How long it will stay as organised as this is another matter but right now it's a great space.

Obligatory Kit Pic:

These are most of the parts I've accumulated, still waiting on the clutch, engine, wheels and bits for the throttle linkage mod.

Cannot believe how tiny the FS-BS6 receiver is, original HPI receiver for comparison.

Definitely have a few hours to myself this afternoon so will start with rebuilding and shimming the diffs.

Finally getting started!

Nice work space now very jealous & loving the dart board! ??
What body shell did you manage to get in end?
You were wise to keep safe with asbestos roof even though I believe they have down graded the health risks would still steer clear of it!

Picked up the Gigante as it was obviously a good fit. Have a custom paint job to do and custom vinyl stickers I've had made in the MooGoCow theme. Never had much success with custom paint jobs historically but fingers crossed!!

No cutting or anything of the tiles, just brushing all the cobwebs down and patching the fix. Had a mask on to be sure.

I wish i had a garage, i have a room in my house named “the hobby room” where i have my workspace and keep all my rc cars

@Wolfie1 DUDE WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT ,

YOU GOT A MONKEY WRENCHING ON YOUR CARB ,
IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT UNLESS
YOUR DOG CAN BRING YOU A COLD BEER FROM THE FRIDGE....:drunk:

CHECK OUT @Woodie(S) WORK BENCH AND HIS NEW R.C. EDGER... LOL .

FROM A THREAD CALLED :
Show us your wrenchin' spot (pic please )

( HAVEN'T HEARD FROM YOU IN A WHILE , HOPE ALL IS WELL WOOD-MAN )
1596305454912.png

@Wolfie1 DUDE WHAT ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT ,

YOU GOT A MONKEY WRENCHING ON YOUR CARB ,
IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT UNLESS
YOUR DOG CAN BRING YOU A COLD BEER FROM THE FRIDGE....:drunk:
That monkey is how i feel at work! :ROFLMAO:
also I'm not complaining

Last edited:
Need some help, stripped the center gearbox, replacing all bearings etc. On re-assembly the second gear wobbles and am not sure if this is right. Bearing is sat correctly and assembled as per the manual.

I've recorded a mini YouTube video to show the play, does anyone know if this is normal?

It's a 2 speed original Savage 25 gearbox, stock.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back