Fx's Twisted Toyz Mid-Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fx

As I'm posting this up it is 11:50pm, I am tired after working all day on this build so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

DSCN1787.jpg

DSCN1789.jpg

The Baja steering linkage is much beefier than the stocker
DSCN1804.jpg

Power Plant- Axial .28, Spec 1, Nova Head, Nova Shoes, 18t CB
DSCN1791.jpg

DSCN1794.jpg

DSCN1797.jpg

DSCN1799.jpg

DSCN1805.jpg

DSCN1806.jpg

DSCN1808.jpg

DSCN1810.jpg

DSCN1811.jpg

DSCN1812.jpg

DSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1816.jpg

DSCN1818.jpg

DSCN1819.jpg

DSCN1820.jpg

DSCN1825.jpg

I still need the get my HPI Rush battery box and mount but the balloon will do in the meantime. I'll swap out the blurry pictures for clear ones tomorrow. This is my first midtank so let me know what you think, leave me some comments! Any questions about the build ask away. Good night guys...:sleeping:

Last edited by a moderator:
nice! what kind of sideplates are they???

They are Twisted Toys .5" extended. Unfortunately they don't make them any more.

man thats an awesome build,i like how you put everything inside of the tvp......thanx for sharing.....way awesome job

looks good fx! have you chked the linkages yet for any binding? i snuck the brake linkage through there too on mine. initially i was worried about not getting enough braking but after alittle bending it worked out. looks good though keeps the pics comming :rock:

Nice job FX!!!

Now tell me where you got those TVP's!

I haven't heard from Casey in forever!

Nice job FX!!!

Now tell me where you got those TVP's!

I haven't heard from Casey in forever!

Casey and I made them in our secret lab! Mwahahaha!

I got them on eBay about 2 years ago. It even came with the center skid plate.

Well I tested it out today and everything went well. I went through 3 tanks and did not experience the "half lean". Braking was spot on and so was the throttle response. I did notice the balance was a tad different but not much.

Next up on the upgrades

-HPI Racing Suspension Conversion
-LST Shocks/IRC Mounting Kit
-New motor (My Axial .28 has 7 gallons on it and has lost it's "punch")

All in all it was a good day! Hopefully when I get back from vacation in 2 weeks I'll have a video of it running.

DSCN1826.jpg

looks good fx! have you chked the linkages yet for any binding? i snuck the brake linkage through there too on mine. initially i was worried about not getting enough braking but after alittle bending it worked out. looks good though keeps the pics comming :rock:

Yeah the linkages are all close but no binding as of now.

DSCN1828.jpg

I inspected my truck after the test run and found a broken lower arm, a bent dog bone, and my Zombie tires ripped from the Maximizer beadlocks. I replaced the arm and dogbone.

I can't get the rim to fit when I put the rage rings in to I guess i'll have to find another way to keep these things from flying off the rim (either that or buy a tire with a thicker bead).
DSCN1830.jpg

I use the same tires on maximizers and haven't had any probs but I did not use the rage rings, maybe that is the problem?

Sweet build FX. After having some Lst's myself, I would say go with the HPI big bores. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah after some more thinking I did decide to go with the big bores. I guess I was just hung up the fact that LST look so dang cool. Big bores do seem to make more sense though, I agree.

I use the same tires on maximizers and haven't had any probs but I did not use the rage rings, maybe that is the problem?

+1, i dint use the rage rings & have never blown a bead with the maximizers.

I mounted the Badlands on my Maximizers. They might as well call these tires Bad@$$ ...you be the judge.

DSCN1858.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

Here's a shot comparing them to my old Zombies

DSCN1860.jpg

They are much stiffer than the Zombies and IMO better looking too. They are a little taller and a little narrower than all my other tires. I'll have to test them out soon.

Those are sweet FX.. Did you mount them with or without tape? Have you had a chance to run them? Do they ballon? Thats all the questions I have for now...:lmao:

Those are sweet FX.. Did you mount them with or without tape? Have you had a chance to run them? Do they ballon? Thats all the questions I have for now...:lmao:

Oh ya I always duct tape the inside of my tires to ensure there is no...uh...ballonage. I haven't even mounted them on my truck yet.

One Zombie weighs 230g
230x4=920g

One Badland weighs 178
178x4=712g

920-712=280g

So 208 grams or roughly .5 pound lighter. This is just switching the tires alone, imagine how much weight I could shave off if I ditched the maximizers!

One Zombie weighs 230g
230x4=920g

One Badland weighs 178
178x4=712g

920-712=280g

So 208 grams or roughly .5 pound lighter. This is just switching the tires alone, imagine how much weight I could shave off if I ditched the maximizers!

Wow, can't belive there is that much diffrence between them..Good info there FX...+1 rep to you dude...:peace:

Everyone's taking videos of their linkages so I figure I will too. It worked good the first time around but the brakes were weak. I messed around with the discs and used some super stiff hellfire springs for the brake linkage. Now it locks up completely (I can always dial it down) and there is zero binding. I'm very happy with it. Check out the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34hoabGWV7o&fmt=18

I got some packages in the mail today. I got my big bores, hpi rush battery box, and integy aluminum turnbuckles.

DSCN1871-1-1.jpg

DSCN1882-1-1.jpg

What's included with the big bores...
DSCN1884-1-1.jpg

Here's the big bore compared to a stock shock.

DSCN1889-1-1.jpg

One nice little touch is they add the flat spot at the bottom of the shock shaft for the needle nose pliers to grip. No more marring up brand new shock shafts.

DSCN1891-1-1.jpg

I added and extra rubber spacer to each shock shaft to lower the ride height.

DSCN1894-1-1.jpg

DSCN1898-1-1.jpg

Here it is compared to the stock ride height.
DSCN1899-1-1.jpg

Perfect side view of my trucks insides. I thought it was cool.

DSCN1902-1-1.jpg

Finally the almost assembled truck.

DSCN1906-1-1.jpg

DSCN1907-1-1.jpg

DSCN1908-1-1.jpg

DSCN1909-1-1.jpg

I don't have any picture of the truck with the badlands on because my camera didn't have any juice left. Right now all I am waiting on is the IRC rush bracket. So far I am not liking the rush box though. It's too tight of a fit and I don't have anywhere to mount my switch. Right now my switch is in that red balloon. I'll have to search around and see if there are any bigger boxes I can use.

I'll definitely have to screw around with the shocks a bit. Right now I'm running the stock pistons, 25 weight oil and an 8 and 10 preload clip on each shock. The way they are right now I can power slide in the street at about 3/4 throttle.

I'm REALLY liking the aluminum turnbuckle ends I got. They almost completely eliminate all the slopp in the steering. My steering felt super crisp.

Leaves some comments and question if you have them.

Update...

Integey aluminum turnbuckle ends are complete trash. They don't allow the arms to to travel far enough and cause serious binding issues. I've tried a few different setups and they bind horribly. Do not waste your money on these worthless pieces of crap. I'm going back to plastic.

Latest posts

Members online

Back