full machined gear flux tranny, "bulletproof"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

parts needed:
HPI86275 hpi light weight idler gear 29T
HPI86274 hpi light weight drive gear 32T
HPI102514 hpi HD drive gear 18-23 tooth
HPI 102244 hpi high speed idler gear 39T/ shaft set

the assembly is pretty straight forward so i don't think i have to make a step by step guide but if someone needs help just shoot me a pm...

IMG_0728-1.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

after installing these gears this tranny feels butter smooth... i have not had a trans ever feel this good. I'm hoping this will be last set of gears ill have to buy for this thing.

"I'm hoping this will be last set of gears ill have to buy for this thing."

:lmao:

your flux will eat them like hard candy!

cant wait to see how long they last, go bashm

no a flux uses the cast gears that i keep breaking, these are aftermarket HPI gears to replace the poop cast ones.

same as mine and it is holding so far. Not BL but Ercm powered so close.

yes i just got this setup for my flux.steel gears replace the cast,much stronger much smoother.more speed,not bad for a $30 upgrade

Hi,

Sorry to recycle an old thread. Ordered these gears too, just wondering are they hardened like the machined HPI 102514 18-23T drive gear?

Been having some transmission issue too on my 5s flux and new to this toy.

Cheers!

Hi,

Sorry to recycle an old thread. Ordered these gears too, just wondering are they hardened like the machined HPI 102514 18-23T drive gear?

Been having some transmission issue too on my 5s flux and new to this toy.

No apologies for recycling a thread brother; since jon made this thread a bunch of guys have joined the b/l crowd so I'm sure the ressurection will help out many. lets see your flux.

Cheers!

same as mine and it is holding so far. Not BL but Ercm powered so close.

lol Alex i wish you would come back & make more posts like this.

seriously, if you read this, drop on in the shout and throw a wave.

Is there a version of this without the high speed idler? I'm going to be building a flux soon and want to follow this without the high speed gear.

i ordered this set too coz i keep on breaking the standard gears. What are the experiences with them so far, any good?

There's a few guys in the UK that I know who are using the lightweight/hardened gears and not getting hugely improved times between changing gears.. I've got a tranny that I've just built with them, sealed it up with silicone sealant and running "wet", as I believe that much of the problem with the gears failing is down to them battering against each other without lube. So far I've only managed a couple of runs as I hadn't sealed it up properly, but will be doing a long term test with a pretty big motor chucking torque at it. I'll put a thread up at some point soon and take some pics!

i had that idea also, just filling it up with heavy diff oil but i'm swithing to a center diff now so the idea never got into practice...

but let us know how it goes!

I've used some fairly thin MTB oil in mine (Finish Line "Wet Lube"). I'm not sure what formula it is, certainly not pure silicone but comparable in viscosity to 2k diff oil.. The main reason I used it is because it seems to reduce the drag between metal-on-metal contact much more than other oils that I tried. I decided against anything thicker because I didn't want to reduce the efficiency of the drivetrain by adding excess drag, and figured that with the tranny about 1/2 full of thinner oil it would be splashed up and cover everything, so should do the job properly but weigh a little less... We'll see how it goes, as it's all been guess work so far!

I'm waiting for a centre diff mod to materialise too, but in the meantime this'll be good to play about with :)

There's a few guys in the UK that I know who are using the lightweight/hardened gears and not getting hugely improved times between changing gears.. I've got a tranny that I've just built

Are you guys shimming the gears to correct tolerances?

Not sure about the other guys, apart from 1 who defo did but's now gone onto a CD mod. I've shimmed mine so it's all lined up perfectly and there's as little movement as possible. The gears aren't meshed quite as tightly as I'd like, but that seems to be a problem you can't easily get round, if at all..?

I'm interested to see how you guys make out lubing the trans.

i've only ever known guys to run them dry so its good to see the lubed gear box put to the test.

it never really made sense to me to run a dry gearbox.

Hi

I can't find very much info on these gears so to anyone still running this setup, how well are the gears holding up,?

Latest posts

Members online

Back