Fuel Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdinand910

So I pulled my Savage XL 4.6 out of storage recently and I have been having some fuel delivery issues. The manual says when you need to prime the carburetor you can either place your finger over the exhaust pipe and crank or you can take the line off the exhaust pipe and blow into it to push fuel down the line. My truck is not receiving fuel thru either of these methods but when the line that goes from the tank to the carb is removed and the exhaust line is blown into, I'm getting fuel out of the tanks outlet nipple...

Any idea what could possibly be going on? My first guess is the pickup is plugged or something but I'm still getting fuel out of the tank when the line going to the carb is removed

I had the same issue as well. Had a basket case Savage and a new motor in the garage. I filled the tank up 1/4 full of fuel, plugged the ports and shook the hell out of it. Then tested flow with blow method until it flowed freely. If the motor has been sitting, you will likely have blockage in the Carburetor. You can try filling the carburetor with fuel using a fuel bottle and working the slide on the carburetor, then using tubing blow through the fuel ilet. May take a few times to get that all cleared out.

yea nitro fuel gets gummy when it sits too long. you could use the suggestion above or take the carb apart and clean it manually. but I can almost guarantee that its the carb inlet

Low pressure air hose and brake clean, used carefully. Attach a fuel line to the banjo fitting on the carb, squirt a SMALL amount of brake clean. Then using low pressure, hold the throttle barrel open and lightly blow through it. Add afterrun oil before trying to start the engine. Also replace all fuel lines as they age the can allow strips to come loose and catch in the banjo fitting.

I would say take carb off and take all the jet screws out and flush the carb with contact cleaner would be the most complete thing to do

NEVER USE BRAKE CLEAN ON ANYTHING YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN ITS PRESENT STATE EXCEPT STEEL . I HAVE USED A LARGE SYRINGE & RUBBING ALCOHOL WITH A PIECE OF FUEL LINE CONNECTED TO CARB FUEL INLET WITH CARB 1/4 OPEN AND THE AIR INLET OF CARB COVERED WHILE PUSHING ALCOHOL IN AND OUT TO CLEAR BUGGER IN CARB. THIS MAY HAVE TO BE REPEATED SEVERAL TIMES. DO THIS WITH GLOW PLUG OUT AND TURN TRUCK UPSIDE DOWN AND TURN OVER SEVERAL TIMES TO CLEAR OUT ALCOHOL.

Latest posts

Members online

Back