Front wheel drive only

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1800bigk

Out running my savage today and after 10 mins I notice I only have front wheel drive. When I pick the truck up off the ground and apply throttle all four spin but under load only fronts. Before I just start tearing it apart, any thoughts on where I should start? Also if I hold the front wheels still I can grab the rear wheels and spin them and when I do I hear clicking.

Check for the rear Grub screw in the Drive cup off the transmission. If this is there then check to make sure to have both rear Dog bones out to the wheels. It that fails check the rear Diff.

Is there a stronger alternative to the stockers? I'm still taking it easy, still on my first gallon and it hasn't even gotten dirty yet. Would hate to see what breaks once I start playing for real.

If you shim them correctly the stock diffs can last a long time. There is a thread somewhere on here about shimming your diffs. Just make sure you are not landing on throttle on jumps.

Thanks, yeah it was the rear diff. Popped the bottom cover off and there are metal shavings. Suprisingly though the teeth look ok. Thanks for the replies.

Check the pinion, it may have some missing teeth. Don't forget to check the grub screws to make sure they are there also. good luck

i just had this same problem a couple days ago at first it was the grub screw and after about another day find out my rear diff was toast and metal shavings were all over the inside so i just replaced it for now until i get a chance to put the cen diffs in

Check for the rear Grub screw in the Drive cup off the transmission. If this is there then check to make sure to have both rear Dog bones out to the wheels. It that fails check the rear Diff.
bout a direct answer as your gonna get.
If your hearing a clicking.i'd almost put money on the bevel gear.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back