Flux Tranny Weird Binding???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingOfTime

I'm converting my Savage X 4.6 to a brushless setup for 4S use. I have the transmission put together correctly. I have verified 4-12 times that I used all of the parts needed for the middle-section of the tranny to remove that second gear. Everything was fine up until I re-screw the spur/slipper/drive gear assembly back on with the 3 screws on the top. I screw those suckers down and when I spin the spur manually with my hand, it spins freely for about half of a turn and then grinds/binds/locks up, whatever you want to call it. I unscrew that top-half of the tranny and manually spin the section with the idler gear and that - along with the bottom gear and cup joint section spins like it was built fresh yesterday... taking about 10-20 turns for it to stop, indication very little resistance.

I've checked all gears for little rocks or dirt, even breaks or defects and let's just say that my 4.6 has never been able to shred much of anything (hence the conversion).

Last edited by a moderator:
are the screws you are using to mate the top half of the trans case perhaps poking down into the gearset causing the problem you are describing, maybe a couple pics with it apart and together may help a bit to see...

are the screws you are using to mate the top half of the trans case perhaps poking down into the gearset causing the problem you are describing, maybe a couple pics with it apart and together may help a bit to see...
No, I had actually thought the same thing too, but I checked the screw-holes and they don't come near the gearsets.

do you have the topmost gear on right?

I would say that you have improper gearing. so one on the gears is bigger than its supposed to be.

This would be my guess as well. This would definitely cause binding when together but work fine when apart.

Okay so I figured out what my problem was. I emailed HPI Support about the whole situation and they said that "since it has been been binding when it was new, it's most likely a problem with the case itself... send it to ____ to have us look at it".

This gave me an idea to look around the tranny for any plastic that might be directly rubbing that middle section gearset and it turned out to be the space where the bearings sit. The top-half of the case where the bearing that sits closest to the front of the savage had a plastic seam from what looks like was left over from when it was molded and assembled. The seam was compressing the whole shaft and both gears along with it when I screwed it together and it pushed against the gear toward the very bottom, advancing the gear mesh. Just took a file to grind down those little slots just enough so that the middle section won't bounce around but it wouldn't be pushing up against that system.

Makes me extremely happy knowing that my 4.6 was running hot for some weird reason, I wonder what that could have been creating that resistance...hmmm

Anyway I thought I'd post this up so that anyone else who might have this issue can have some help I guess (yeah right).

Latest posts

Members online

Back