FLM/Mid Tank Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the servo. Turns out it unplugged from the fail safe. IDK why it didn't return with the return spring though. Weak spring? I had it since I got the truck, so maybe I need to buy a new one. Does anyone know a good way to protect the wire that goes from the servo to the radio box? Mine was really exposed, and I think that a rock or something was able to knock it out. Maybe using shrink tubing to hold them together? I think I saw someone with the idea of using protective tubing on real cars. Dunno where I can get it though. Hopefully I find that thread.

Yeah, it was the OS. I also hope it was the OS. Hopefully it is just the con-rod. If not, then I will probably go with the plan of a new engine or trying to run the STS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang it! Sorry for the luck man. I wouldn't imagine that from an OS, always thought they were one of the most reliable mills out.
The protective tubing is found at auto parts stores, I've seen them alot on trailers as well. But I'm not sure if they carry smaller sizes since it just 1 servo lead. The heat shrink doesn't sound like a bad idea, on mine I had enough slack where i could loop back on both sides and use a zip tie around all of it.

The OS was reliable. The only reason the conrod snapped was because I had to flip it over, causing no resistance to the engine. Letting it rev like that for a long time will seriously damage your conrod.

I think I remember seeing it at my local Kragen Autos. I might go check out how much it is and how much is supplied.

Coby post some dang pictures!

I'm trying to, but I can't get the back plate off. It's like they used red locktite on it. I'll try heating it up. The engine is the only one with the damage, but if you want more pictures of the Savage itself, I can provide :peace:.

The OS was reliable. The only reason the conrod snapped was because I had to flip it over, causing no resistance to the engine. Letting it rev like that for a long time will seriously damage your conrod.

I think I remember seeing it at my local Kragen Autos. I might go check out how much it is and how much is supplied.

Oh ok. I thought you lost the linkages or something. Let us know once you get her opened up. :Xfingers: Hope it's just the rod

I am seriously thinking of converting this thing to brushless. Idk how the motor is gonna take the weight though. I've had really bad luck with nitro through my whole RC experience. I just blew an OS30 and before that I had a PITA STS. I think that going brushless will make me feel a bit better. I was thinking of going Mamba Monster with a NEU motor. Idk what brushless conversion kit I will use though.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Team TCS Flux TVPs. Next on my list are the battery boxes then the motor mount and plate. Idk if I should keep my 3speed on or get the flux tranny. Any help?

brushless will make short work of grenading that 3-speed.

convert your 3-speed to a flux tranny for $8 like badd did. Here is his "how to" thread --> https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12117

Will this work for the 3-speed tranny? The thread shows how to do it with a 2-speed tranny and I don't think I have my 2-speed gears anyone.

Question wat kind of beadlocks are u runnin??
I am running Proline 40-series Cheyenne beadlocks that I dyed black and used Axial rings around. You have to drill the holes on the rings a bit bigger to work.

I had the same servo issue and just unsoldered the wire and put in an 18" wire from futaba (heavy duty wire) it was long enough to reach my radio box, which kept my failsafe in the box and the connection protected.

I was gonna do that, but I did not want to do soldering to the servo itself. I think I'm gonna stick with the extensions and heat shrink idea. Maybe also get some of the tubing at my local Kragens too.

I was gonna do that, but I did not want to do soldering to the servo itself. I think I'm gonna stick with the extensions and heat shrink idea. Maybe also get some of the tubing at my local Kragens too.

that will work fine coby. while your there see if they have some "liquid electrical tape" in stock. its great stuff & you can even put a dab on the ends of the shrink tube so no moisture gets in there.

that will work fine coby. while your there see if they have some "liquid electrical tape" in stock. its great stuff & you can even put a dab on the ends of the shrink tube so no moisture gets in there.

That liquid electrical tape is some good stuff! Careful though it can be alittle messy :)

Great idea man! I didn't think of this. I forgot they made that stuff.

Things I've ordered so far:
TCS TVPs
Battery Boxes
Motor Mount and Plate

I am waiting for the idler gear to come into stock at my LHS. Should be somewhere this week. Anyways, that should just leave me with the brushless system and batteries. Idk if I should go LiPo yet. I think I am going with the Flux setup, but something may change my mind. I was looking at the cheaper choice of the MMM and Feigao 9L. Maybe I could find a MedUsa motor instead.

Idk what I'm gonna do with the cage. It was made for ext. FLMs, and now it's gonna be shorter. Maybe I could get it redone for the Flux. If not, I'll probably just sell it then accumulate more funds for another cage.

I am waiting for the idler gear to come into stock at my LHS. Should be somewhere this week. Anyways, that should just leave me with the brushless system and batteries. Idk if I should go LiPo yet. I think I am going with the Flux setup, but something may change my mind. I was looking at the cheaper choice of the MMM and Feigao 9L. Maybe I could find a MedUsa motor instead.

if you don't use lipos & get a Castle system (either the HPI Flux version or the Castle MMM), i recommend calling Castle and speak with them to find out which batteries are compatible & will not void your warranty.

Now that I think of it, spending this much on brushless, you might as well go LiPo too. It's just the dangerousness of it that scares me. I probably will change to LiPo in a later time, but for now just NiMH.

I will give them a call and ask for what they recommend. Thanks!

Now that I think of it, spending this much on brushless, you might as well go LiPo too.

Now your talking. my thoughs exactly

It's just the dangerousness of it that scares me. I probably will change to LiPo in a later time, but for now just NiMH.

its like anything else coby, once you learn how it works, what to do/not to do & respect it, you'll be fine. i hate to see you waste your $$ on NiMH, just go for the good stuff.

Yeah, I think I can save up for LiPo. I'll try to get the brushless system first though. Then a charger and then LiPos. My LHS has the cheap-quality ones. I am thinking MaxAmps, but Idk.

So while I was working I saw the mailman come in today with my TVPs. I opened it up and wow, these are really thick. They are great looking too. Can't wait for the motor mount and battery boxes to come so I can install everything.

So while I was working I saw the mailman come in today with my TVPs. I opened it up and wow, these are really thick. They are great looking too. Can't wait for the motor mount and battery boxes to come so I can install everything.

44789thisthreadcompletelyuselessWIT.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back