FLM/Mid Tank Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have leaned it against a wall to see how close the wing is to the ground. Seems close. I may upgrade the wing anyways in a later time too. I mounted this wing so that it's the farthest to the rear. With my next wing I'll mount it more forward. Hopefully that'll clear up space for the wing.

2ngevr7.png

Hey guys, I am in the Philippines now. I'll be back in July, so don't worry. The build's not done yet. When I get back my adjustable arms and carb should be back to finish break-in. I also need to buy some wheel pins (Locknut got loose and backed the hub out.). I will let you guys know of anything else I buy for this. I'll be sure to update you guys when I get back. Till then, I'll be sweating.

2n8x93l.png

Wish I could get a better picture, but my little cousin dropped our D80 so we had to send it for repair.

Upgrades from last time:
GPM Uprights
OS30VG
US Customs Cage

Will upgrade to:
PRC mid tank plate w/ Ofna 250 tank
DPP racing wing mount and Mugen mount

Last edited by a moderator:
Man thats is nice lookin savy you have there Coby..I really like that cage!!:peace:

sweet build! thanks for all the pics! i can't wait to give my 25 the flm treatment

how do you like that os?
the hobby store here has the osmg2077 for $199 and the osmg2086(roto start ready) for $179 and I was think about picking one up.

Thanks guys. I haven't tried out the OS yet. Still have some minor stuff to fix (linkages and other items) but I should be able to run it soon.

ok one more question, I should of asked earlier but is that the osmg2077 model of the os .30? I'm guessing so beacause of the pull start but I wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't going to run into any surprises, since the osmg2076 says for savage owners -setup for rotostart (which I don't want) but also says for the savage clutch assembly cornfused I'm not really sure what that means, they are both sg cranks
Thanks

Yes, mine is the 2077. Not sure why they said it's also for the clutch assembly. I believe they are telling you if your old clutch is fine then you can transfer it to the 30VG.

Well my brother is gonna bring my to the LHS to get the final stuff so I can try out this monster. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Prediction: wheelies.

Okidokey then!

My brother isn't home yet but he should be here soon, I hope.

Edit: Sorry guys, change of plans. My brother is working today so no one can bring me =(. He said he'll bring me tomorrow though.

UPDATE UPDATE!

Couldn't get a video. But I did get it running again. I had it running for maybe 10 minutes up and down the street, next thing I know, the linkage falls off and now I've got a runaway coming my way. I quickly turn to flip it over (Which worked but now my cage is scratched.) and ran to it. I tried shutting it off by pinching the fuel line but that didn't work. Since I didn't want to get my thumb burnt, I grabbed my transmitter and plugged the hole with it. Now I've got a small fort on the battery box of my transmitter, scratched cage, and no linkage :(. Will post pictures later.

The OS ran like a beast though. I have it geared 18/47, so I get some great speed. I think I need to tune it a bit more to get it to wheelie, but I could feel it trying to wheelie, so I'm close. That or my Savage is a fat lard ahahah.

I know. I should use a locknut next time. OFNA gives you this regular nut that does not lock, and if you tighten it the sliders lock.

UPDATE UPDATE!

Couldn't get a video. But I did get it running again. I had it running for maybe 10 minutes up and down the street, next thing I know, the linkage falls off and now I've got a runaway coming my way. I quickly turn to flip it over (Which worked but now my cage is scratched.) and ran to it. I tried shutting it off by pinching the fuel line but that didn't work. Since I didn't want to get my thumb burnt, I grabbed my transmitter and plugged the hole with it. Now I've got a small fort on the battery box of my transmitter, scratched cage, and no linkage :(. Will post pictures later.

The OS ran like a beast though. I have it geared 18/47, so I get some great speed. I think I need to tune it a bit more to get it to wheelie, but I could feel it trying to wheelie, so I'm close. That or my Savage is a fat lard ahahah.

Lol oops, i remember my hump pack fell of a few weeks ago at WOT, luckily it turned itself full lock steering and was donuting in big circles on the grass, i managed to grab hold of the handle and squeeze the pipe deflector and shut it down straight away, funny now but at the time it werent half scary, gets the blood pumping anyway lol

Glad your damage isnt too bad mate, itd be gut wrenching to do any serious damage just after a build.

Yeah, you told us that in the Shoutbox I think lol. Glad to hear nothing broke though.

I was really scared that something might happen to the engine. Maybe a blown conrod or something. Just checked it and it is fine. Just need to buy a new linkage and I'm ready to go.

Cool. I was able to find those air plane lever things at the LHS. Now my linkages are cleaner. Will post a picture later.

I was able to run it a bit today. I think it's a bit lean. If I hold down the brakes it will die. It idles fine though. I did water test and it sizzled, so it must be lean.

I was able to guess my 2nd gear activation. I went half a turn back from stock 17/47 settings and it was perfect. Now I have the 3rd gear to adjust.

Edit:
I know what you guys are thinking:
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

2koow7.png

There you go. There is my linkages. I had to use zip ties just because they kept popping open.

The nut for the slipper gear wore out... Gotta go buy another one...
Turns out the problem as said above was the idle. The throttle didn't return all the way so it would idle partly open. I fixed it though. Had to go about 1 1/4 turns in to get it to idle. Maybe the heat? Maybe the air filter is giving to much resistance? IDK, but it's fixed. I still have to tune it though.

I thought an overhead pick might help a bit more.
5nq6uf.png

This image was after I fixed the problem in Edit 2. I moved the rod nut thing much closer to the slider so that the spring is used at it's fullest to close the carb all the way.
Oh, I just noticed from the picture that I am missing an engine screw for the engine mount. Gotta fix that too...

The con-rod blew...

So I was running it after tightening the slipper clutch. I jumped it off of a dirt curve and once it lands it goes throttle like crazy. I was too scared to run to it because I thought the conrod might blow through the case. So I run to it and right when I get to I hear it all of a sudden die. I tried pulling the pull start to see if it was fine, nope. Hopefully all I have to do is replace the conrod. If not, it's a good excuse to get a Picco or an LRP :D.

It looks like the servo died. I had a throttle return spring but I tried moving the servo, it was really difficult. I think the teeth stripped and made it so that the top gear was stuck in that place. So I need a new engine and a servo.

The con-rod blew...

So I was running it after tightening the slipper clutch. I jumped it off of a dirt curve and once it lands it goes throttle like crazy. I was too scared to run to it because I thought the conrod might blow through the case. So I run to it and right when I get to I hear it all of a sudden die. I tried pulling the pull start to see if it was fine, nope. Hopefully all I have to do is replace the conrod. If not, it's a good excuse to get a Picco or an LRP :D.

It looks like the servo died. I had a throttle return spring but I tried moving the servo, it was really difficult. I think the teeth stripped and made it so that the top gear was stuck in that place. So I need a new engine and a servo.
Talk about bad luck. I'd get an Axial but then again I'm kind of a fanboy for Axials.

I've thought of an Axial but then I think for a couple bucks more I can get an LRP. That's just me though. I haven't tried an Axial before.

well i happy to hear I'm not the only one with that kinda luck. lol. its cool you got the chipper spirit about it all tho. just keep upgrading till it works hey. lol. cool truck bud.

I'm glad that I was able to flip it over. If I hadn't, it would've gone full speed into our gate! But yeah, sucks when you brake the most expensive thing on the Savage. I do have that STS 28. I might give it another shot. Hopefully it won't give me the problems as last time.

WOW, coby sorry to hear about your bad luck...I am sure that you will get her back up and running soon dude..

I'm glad that I was able to flip it over. If I hadn't, it would've gone full speed into our gate! But yeah, sucks when you brake the most expensive thing on the Savage. I do have that STS 28. I might give it another shot. Hopefully it won't give me the problems as last time.

I talked to Robin and he told me STS are notoriously known to blow crankshafts due to their super tight pinch and high RPM's.

Aww man. I could probably sell it. It only has 3 tanks of break-in on it. Hopefully I can get enough for at least half of LRP or Picco.

I'm gonna open up the servo and see what happened. I'll give you guys some pictures later.

Members online

Back