FLM Bulkheads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read your PM HopIt. You need the FLM drag link to get things all together. I just happen to have a pic of said part. It is the aluminum part between the towers. The part number is "FLM4800".

Also - while you have your truck apart, you should replace the 4 plastic bushings that the steering towers pivot on with ball bearings ... unless you've already done that mod. If you haven't done it, HPI has a kit with the bearings in it. However, the bearings are a common size. I just took the plastic bushings to my LHS and asked them to match it with a bearing. It is a good mod.

Thanks for that CRUSADER. My post actually contains a link to that part on the SMF web site, which Bruce should be packing up for me right now ! :Xfingers:
I did the sevo saver thing way back, and currently run the Hot Racing version, well most of it !:hardlaugh:

HopIt - in the pm you sent, you asked about the uprights that I used. I did use the HPI suspension upgrade kit ... well, most of the kit. I just de-anodized everything and then polished all the aluminum.
I don't like purple. There is NO purple goofy-ness happenin' on my SAVAGE.

How do you name a truck "SAVAGE" and then color every piece of aluminum (and some plastic parts) on the thing purple? Huh? How does that happen? Can someone 'splain that to me?

:hardlaugh: :hardlaugh: :bling: You do have a point ! It must have taken you a fair bit of time to make em shine like that ?

It must be a european thing

I wouldn't know, I'm not European ! :blah: And isn't HPI an American company ?

I run the flm bulkhead in the front had the same problem w/ my bellcrank hitting the bulk, has to shave some off and works great , also having a problem w/ the savage x shock towers fitting , I have to shave them down so much to make fit, making them allot weaker.

IS there a direct bolt on shock tower for the flm bulks ?

SJ - I'm thinking that the FLM towers would fit pretty nicely. They would be heavier than the HPI plastic towers, though.

When I built my truck, I also had to do some trimming on the HPI XSS towers in order to make them fit correctly. Just trim 'em down a little at a time 'till it's just right. The screws are a little short, too. I just picked up some longer screws from my LHS. Mine is solid & tight as a drum - no problemo. The truck has seen it's share of cartwheeling and everything is still ok. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a some pics to compare the FLM drag link with stock and also the Hot Racing version I've been running.

Picture152.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture150.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see, FLM have shaved it down to the absolute minimum to allow it to fit round their bulkhead. They must be very confident with the material they use............. :Xfingers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the flm bulkhead in the front had the same problem w/ my bellcrank hitting the bulk, has to shave some off and works great , also having a problem w/ the savage x shock towers fitting , I have to shave them down so much to make fit, making them allot weaker.

IS there a direct bolt on shock tower for the flm bulks ?

SJ, which part of the tower is giving you problems ? I had problems fitting the Tsais towers also. Seems like quite a few people have had problems with various towers, and I don't think all the towers are at fault here ! I would say this is an issue that FLM needs to address. Where the tower meets the top of the side of the bulkhead, directly below the outer fixing holes, is where the problem lies. I had to remove a good mm of material here to get the tower low enough for the holes to line up. I thought this was the better way to go, then I won't have to keep moding any future replacement towers.
Hope this helps.

Well I finally got everything together after a few minor problems, only to find another problem. When I tried to fit the body shell, I found that the distance between the two mounts had increased, so now it won't fit. It is like one complete hole out, or half a hole front and rear to be right. Obviously this is another area that FLM screwed up. I'm going to try and speak with them and see if they recognise their mistakes.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem ? Let me know. Also if you have any suggestions on how I should get over this, that would be appreciated.

Members online

No members online now.
Back