Fitting of SPI Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candre23

I purchased a set of SPI wheels for the savage build I'm working on. I was told that I should get 17mm hexes, and have the center holes drilled out to 12mm. I got the 17mm hexes, so that's no problem. The problem, as you can see in the pic below, is that the axles are quite a bit smaller than 12mm. I'm wondering if these large lock nuts would be what I need to make this work? I'm thinking the raised part on the back of the nut would fit into the hole in the wheel. Other than that, I'm not sure what I can do here.

toobig.jpg

The thing is, I already have the HD wide axles. I was told that those purple adaptors won't work with the axles I got. Good to hear that the cheap flange nuts should work.

The thing is, I already have the HD wide axles. I was told that those purple adaptors won't work with the axles I got. Good to hear that the cheap flange nuts should work.

Iv been through 4 sets of those XL axles they are a PITA when you bash, i always break them in half, so for a while i went back to the stockers then to the 17mm hex conversion set ..

Iv been through 4 sets of those XL axles they are a PITA when you bash, i always break them in half, so for a while i went back to the stockers then to the 17mm hex conversion set ..

the non-ext ones that come on the flux are killer especially in (conjuction with the shd bones) and are less likely to stress and break like that.

if you run into the same breakage issues with the xl axles like xll did, then, go for the flux ones, theyre non-ext and you should have plenty of off-set with those spi rims ;)

sorry i didnt get back to you sooner...

The lock nut would be hold it nicely in place.

I use the lock nuts and they do fine

I've been runnin the XL axles for awhile now and have never broke one yet. 10-20ft. high average jumps and never broke or bent one. Only time I've lost a wheel is because I was usin the soft alum Pro-line 23mm hexes and the pin slot got completely worn out which made the wheel nut come loose, which in turn made the wheel fall off and ended up lossin one of the XL axle spacers. Anyways, just my opinion. As far as the SPI wheel problem, it looks like your covered.

the non-ext ones that come on the flux are killer especially in (conjuction with the shd bones) and are less likely to stress and break like that.

If you run into the same breakage issues with the xl axles like xll did, then, go for the flux ones, theyre non-ext and you should have plenty of off-set with those spi rims ;)

..................x2........................

Why didnt you contact me? Send them back and Ill make you a new set. Free!
Rick

lol whats wrong that you need to fix ? He didnt have the HPI step nut that goes on the 17 mm Rims. Most of your rims are 14 mm anyways, no step nuts. You most likely don't have the nut too .. but hes all set if the hex on that rim is 17..

Last edited by a moderator:
your spi rims do not break haha his axles broke... come on rick, read the thread lol

Rick
Didn't even consider it, since it was my screwup - or at least my misunderstanding. Turns out all I need are the wide flanged lock nuts and I'm good to go. I appreciate the offer, but having been on the other end of customers with insane expectations and entitlement issues, I do my best not be too demanding on suppliers. You made me the wheels that I asked for, now it's my problem to figure out why I asked for them in the first place. :cheers:

I'm sorry, i feel that i must take some responsibility. i did tell you to get the 12mm hole. But this is necessary for the bolt to lock the wheel to the hex and hold it securely in place.

Another friend of mine rick sent some spis to in england didnt request this hole and he had to cut it him self very carefully. I just wanted to save you a little effort as you were not to fond of the idea of doing too much machine work

Another friend of mine rick sent some spis to in england didnt request this hole and he had to cut it him self very carefully.
He cut the 17 mm hex with a 14 mm size axle hole ? umno I'd be ####ed ... Should not have to "ask" for that ... its standard on a 17 mm rim.

He cut the 17 mm hex with a 14 mm size axle hole ? umno I'd be ####ed ... Should not have to "ask" for that ... its standard on a 17 mm rim.

Why is there always something negative said? Why can people be happy that he even offers that? Not all manufactors will make a 17mm rim with a 14mm hole.
Some people might like that better then the big hole!

I just don't see the reason people shoot rick down.

Rick

Wow, pretty good deal that you're going to make the guy a set of XL ext axles for free. Will you be using the same steel that comes stock on the HPI?

Why is there always something negative said? Why can people be happy that he even offers that? Not all manufactors will make a 17mm rim with a 14mm hole.
Some people might like that better then the big hole!

I just don't see the reason people shoot rick down.

Huh ? ??? Are you on drugs ? 12 mm hole is standard for 17mm rim. what else would work ? No one is getting shot down. You love to turn things into what its not when Rick is involved ... Get off the soap box. If I was going to shoot him down Id come right out with it... Hes not a vendor here not like Id be nice for any reason.

This is what happens when Ricks kid answers threads for him under his name.... Rick would know nothing is wrong with those rims. If he didn't he should not be making 17MM rims..

Latest posts

Members online

Back