Experimenting with stock shocks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrobasher

I am new to this forum so don't hate me if this has been done before. After reading the thread by maximusraylius on modding stock shocks, decided to experiment a little. If you look on the stock shocks there is a plastic piece above the springs that is removable (not sure what it is called).
Image_00001.jpg

So what I did was remove these from the front shocks.
Image_00003.jpg

And put them on the rear shocks.
Image_00002.jpg

So what this did was lower the front end and raise the rear end.
Image_00004.jpg

Image_00005.jpg

This allowed the truck to dive into corners and turn on a dime. You could also remove the pieces from the front shocks and leave the one on the rear, this will be a little less agressive. I know this is not a permanent mod, but it does allow you to change the ride height and see how it handles different. When I permanently mod my shocks with the fuel tubing I will put a longer piece of tubing in my front shocks than in the rear.

The thread I mentioned above
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11272

Thank you guys for all the AWESOME information!!!!!!!!!!
Chris

What do you think about putting a little longer piece of tubing in the front shocks than the rear. It wouldn't matter to most, but for someone getting into racing on a bugget it may help on cornering.

Ok well i sort of did the oposite. You added to the front and back. I took them out of the front, which in turn lowered the front and raised the rear a little. The only down fall is less rebound in the front.

What do you think about putting a little longer piece of tubing in the front shocks than the rear. It wouldn't matter to most, but for someone getting into racing on a bugget it may help on cornering.

This was referring to your original mod adding the fuel tubing to the inner shock rod.

Well I think you have done the complete opposite of what your trying to accomplish. I found the lower it is and how the a$$ end almost drags around the track the faster it is. It digs in the corners and less sag to put the power on the ground. Raising it up only adds to a higher center of gravity! That is very poor on the track, roll overs and sliding around the turns and massive sag. 1/2 fuel tubing in the stock shocks all
Spacers removed and it sits level to the ground and 40wt oil. Best combo. It will bottom out but better than rolling over in a race.

Here's mine with the mod to stock shocks before I got my big bores. Notice how flat the a arms are.

IMG_0075.jpg

That answered my question I will add a 1/2" and call it good. Thanks. Did the shocks become stiffer after the mod?

The shocks will not become stiffer just less travel. Mix combos of colored springs and wt oil to fine tune on your track your on. Only thing the fuel tubing mod does is lower the center of gravity and less sag and sway in the suspension. Just experiment on how the truck takes and lands the jumps. It should absorb the impact without bouncing back to much. Running it flat a arms and 1/2 off
Sets on the rims set it wider and lower! Always good for
Raceing not bashing.

Proline lpr dish wheels,17mm and a 1/2 off set, with proline Caliber vtr's good for hard packed dirt slightly dampened before the race. Medium compound. That's what I race with truggy tires and wheels. I bash 40 series m/t tires and wheels.

thats how all my trucks sit when i do the mod to the shocks .. i was showing him the way he was going with it and how it rolls over when opposite as the mod .. lol.. ran mine 5 minutes with it up high then reveresed the shock and slamed it down with the shock mod i wrote a how to about..

I have mine a little higher in the front. I did a 1/2 inch in the back and about 3/8s in the front. I did it for a little more ground clearance in the front as to where I mainly bash at has a lot of uneven grounds.

ok if you just pull out the spacers (the little black things that you picutured in the first post) you are reducing the preload on the springs, yes this lowers the truck a bit but you lose the preload on the springs and it will cause you to bottom out alot more.
For my set up i have something like 3/4" fuel tubing on all four courners, 30wt motor oil. For the rear there is like a total of 5 spacers between the two shocks, this is so that the rear does not drag on a hard launch, and 3 up front, and for the front i only run one spring.

if you look at this video, you can see the front spring setup.

ok if you just pull out the spacers (the little black things that you picutured in the first post) you are reducing the preload on the springs, yes this lowers the truck a bit but you lose the preload on the springs and it will cause you to bottom out alot more.
For my set up i have something like 3/4" fuel tubing on all four courners, 30wt motor oil. For the rear there is like a total of 5 spacers between the two shocks, this is so that the rear does not drag on a hard launch, and 3 up front, and for the front i only run one spring.

if you look at this video, you can see the front spring setup.

nice . i do same thing .. but not quite 3/4 inch of tubing ..i just make the arms level .. and use 1 preload per corner ....good stuff...

Latest posts

Members online

Back