Everyone wants a picco BUYER BEWARE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bankrupter

I got my picco today and look what they sent me. This is NOT a superficial scratch. I can catch it with my thumb nail and good too. This would never seal up and a noob would never know why he got a bad tune due to the HUGE air leak it will make. It goes from the outer case all the way into the crank channel as if they did it with the tool that cuts it. This type of stuff should NEVER leave the factory!!!!!!

Ill let you all know what Picco does about this! Reason # 1 to inspect all new motors before you start them.

DSC_0358.jpg

Wow that's a heck of a scratch. I think you can get it to seal but I would def try to replace it. The O-Ring seal's in the chamfer on the lip. Also, when you seal it you put your 1211 sealant on the outer face of the Block and seals against the back plate.

Like I said I would def complain to them and get it replaced. They should have no problem doing it other than they may throw it in your face that you opened it up and say you scratched it pulling out the back plate. I hope they replace it for you. Good luck bud, keep us informed.

thanks for sharing bank

got to check these new engines
before you fire them.

no metal shavings?

I completely agree with ya Crash. I have personally never found anything inside of a mill but there are lots of horror stories out there where people have.

Jason I thought that too back plate /scratch and them trying to blame me. But the scratch goes all the way into the recess cut for the con rod. If the back plate could get into the mill that far there would be issues. No way the back plate from them or me did it. Also shoot the man who seals a italian mill keep that to the poop mills Piccos LRPs and Rossis don't leak unless it has defects like this. No RTV on any of my mills in 6 years all with No leaks. Till the K5.9 pos but note I sold it..

Danny the Q tip to the crank showed black stuff. sleeve piston over all case were clean

I think it would still seal. Esp Piccos. They have a tight backplate, but being that its brand new, they should give you a new one. Its hard to tell from that pic how deep it is too. Looks like it tapers off. They must have done that wile assembling the engine. I don't see how though. Youd think it would be a straight scratch not a swoop like that.

Bank-Is there any sharp piece on the Back plate lip where it could have happened upon putting the back plate in like Grumpy stated. Looks as if the pushed the back plate in and was caught so they gave it a little twist to make it completely in.

I think it would still seal. Esp Piccos. They have a tight backplate, but being that its brand new, they should give you a new one. Its hard to tell from that pic how deep it is too. Looks like it tapers off. They must have done that wile assembling the engine. I don't see how though. Youd think it would be a straight scratch not a swoop like that.

Like Nick said above it would have been done deburring the mill. It goes all the way in well past where the back plate stops. It swoops more the further it goes in too. I have contacted OFNA and they told me to send it in. As far as its depth the oring would not seal it.

Bank-Is there any sharp piece on the Back plate lip where it could have happened upon putting the back plate in like Grumpy stated. Looks as if the pushed the back plate in and was caught so they gave it a little twist to make it completely in.

Could not be done... The sharp piece in question (and mill was clean) would have to be over a 1/4 inch long to get all the way into the mill like the scratch goes. The pic does not show the entire scratch and like I said I can hang my thumb nail off it.... its A POS

Has anyone with a picco seen this before????
I have seen worse and blamed it on the guy too. Sadly I now believe him..

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like tool drag to me also. I'm with grumpy. I think it would seal since the seal surface is on the face not the bore. But hey, it's a new engine and it's not supposed to be there so I say send that monday morning engine back. Good Luck Bank.

Agreed with Bank thought you shouldn't have to RTV or 1211 this mill it should seal well enough on it's own and probably wont well enough with a scratch like that.

To bad, at least it sounds as they will work with you on it. It also sounds like there is nothing they can blame you on. The only thing that stinks is that you have to be down for a week or 2 till they get it back to you.

I still don't believe the other guy. The marks he had are way wose that yours. Multiple too. Then the story changed from sealed to not sealed, new to returned etc. I think your scratch is a rare event. You have to take into consideration how many of these engines are pumped out. Bound to have one bad one. Only way to avoid that risk is to get the $600 Nova lol.

Only way to avoid that risk is to get the $600 Nova lol.
Been there done that and the T-shirt faded. It may not go back, I have to talk to robin.

On that "other" guys mill... Yea, I know he or someone after the factory did that. I did my home work and its a 27 buck case with bearings.. The bearing I got for the LRP were 75 alone.. I'm not worried about this anymore. It was just the first shock of seeing it... It took the excitement of playing with a new mill away. Just like starting the 600 buck other. Once it was running it was just a mill to me...

This is more of a thread to say inspect your mills caz ya never know what you may find!

I still don't believe the other guy. The marks he had are way wose that yours. Multiple too. Then the story changed from sealed to not sealed, new to returned etc. I think your scratch is a rare event. You have to take into consideration how many of these engines are pumped out. Bound to have one bad one. Only way to avoid that risk is to get the $600 Nova lol.

i don't believe the other guy either, you can tell his was hacked, the 'tool drag' in yours (as stated by blazer) is too precise to have been inflicted by human hand.

its probably happened to every mill mfg out there, sadly, picco QC let it get out the door and to the customer. its a very old & wise saying that you don't want your end customer acting as your QC dept.

that stinks bank, ive been really looking forward to this new mill.

Thnaks for the heads up. I'm getting ready to buy one but thanks to you i know what to watch out for. Sucks about the engine.

This is not something that I have seen before and I have seen alot of Picco's. I think that it could possibly cause a sealing issue due to the fact that the O ring does seal in the bore (see pic). It looks like just a random issue and I'm sure that Ofna would have no issues with warranty.

This issue can simply be fixed by running a beed of sealant on the outer face, this would stop any leaks that could make it past the O ring. It sucks that they would let an engine out the door in this condition but it won't affect the performance in any way after it's sealed up.

I know that your more then capable to fix this issue on your own but run it in anyway and send it up. I will take and swap the block with one of my new engines, I have a couple that will be put through the paces this summer to see what they can take :shocked: LOL. It's your call but the offer is open, the bashing season is too close to have it gone for a couple weeks more, let me know. Thanks.

Robin.

DSC07554.jpg

Thnaks for the heads up. I'm getting ready to buy one but thanks to you i know what to watch out for. Sucks about the engine.

Its a freak thing. don't let it sway your choice.

I know that your more then capable to fix this issue on your own but run it in anyway and send it up. I will take and swap the block with one of my new engines, I have a couple that will be put through the paces this summer to see what they can take

Robin Ill do that. You never cease to amaze me bud! All the reasons you my moder and not the sea of other names out there.. ERCM FTW! :resp: I was going to add how it sealed when the others were commenting but let it slide. Thanks again Bud!

WOW Robin, I didn't know that this mill seals that far down in the bore. No kidding there is no need to seal it.

That's great of you Robin to swap it with one of your's, what a great modder.

If I were you I would send it to them and have them replace it. Not only to get it fixed but also so they can see that it went out the door that way and can look into why its that way and hopefully perfect there operation and/or improve it so it doesn't happen again.

It's important for companies to know customers problems as this is the only way things can be improved for future applications.

Its not going back J. 2 weeks over a 20 buck part... I'm not going to split hairs over it. If it were to stay stock I would do it for sure but Robin is going to give me a new case for free and put this on one of his R+D Mills. I also want to keep some what of a tight schedule for the time out and 2 weeks is a month to long for me.

Here is a picture of the "other guys" Picco. I edited it so another modder could see that it was NOT from factory, this was an inexpierienced person who didn't know what they were doing. I worked at an aluminum jet boat mfg company for a while, we built boats from the ground up so I have a little expirience in this field. The picture speaks for itself as it looks like they took a screw driver to remove the carb, I think you have to loosen the pinch bolt before the carb comes out lol.

Picture6810.jpg

Holy smokes!!! Man you guys need any more reason to deal with Purenitro?
I think not!

Can't wait to see this motor modded and back in your truck Justin!

There is nothing worse than getting a phone call from one of your customers, them telling you that the part you sent is defective. In this case, I wouldn't ever have known the case was scratched (short of tearing into every engine I stock...not gonna happen...LOL). It's just disheartening to find out that the case had a scratch like that.

Justin, thanks for bringing this to light. Hopefully others will learn from it.

Robin, I appreciate you helping Justin out!! There is nothing worse than having a new mill and find out you can't run it.

LOL Nick you sounded sooo depressed when you called me. You need to detach. You have no control over whats in the box but you went above and beyond once again! Thanks as always Nick! SMF rocks...

This really is a basic 101 engine overview. Bank was kind enough to take the pic and show everyone that BEFORE you install a NEW engine one should always take the engine apart and inspect it. If not you are gambling at the cost of a Brand new engine. Nice pic Bank good luck your in the right hands. I gave reps to not only Bank but Robin for stepping up and helping out.

That picco has been butchered...why would you continue to chop at it once you have seen the damage already starting to occur. That looks like multiple attempts of suicide with a dull razor blade. On the sealing issue, I have also never had a picco apart and didn't realize the oring placement is much deeper in the bore. I understand your concerns more clearly now bank. Pure, your a good soul for trading him for a different block...:jamout:

Here is a picture of the "other guys" Picco. I edited it so another modder could see that it was NOT from factory, this was an inexpierienced person who didn't know what they were doing.

Perfect chance for this dude to jump in shout or start a thread & say "hey guys, I'm having trouble, how do i...." and countless members would have helped him avoid this butchery; that is, if he didnt get himself banned.

Holy smokes!!! Man you guys need any more reason to deal with Purenitro?
I think not!
Can't wait to see this motor modded and back in your truck Justin!
i agree jcam. i was a bit disappointed when justin was talking about sending the mill back.

There is nothing worse than getting a phone call from one of your customers, them telling you that the part you sent is defective. In this case, I wouldn't ever have known the case was scratched (short of tearing into every engine I stock...not gonna happen...LOL). It's just disheartening to find out that the case had a scratch like that.

Although this problem has nothing to do with SMF, wrenchman's concern for customer satisfaction is reason why i bought my whole Fastlane Setup through smf & will continue to purchase and recommend. cant tell you how many times ive been asked 'where did you get that....' and ive replied SMFstore.com

Tell ya man, this hpisf family grows tighter & stronger every day :resp:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not going back J. 2 weeks over a 20 buck part... I'm not going to split hairs over it. If it were to stay stock I would do it for sure but Robin is going to give me a new case for free and put this on one of his R+D Mills. I also want to keep some what of a tight schedule for the time out and 2 weeks is a month to long for me.

so where do we go from here? are you gonna break the mill in & then ship to ExtremeRC mods or ship 'as is' and have it broken in with the new crank case? also, what clutch set up do you have planned for it?

Ill have it run in by Monday and it will be on its way out to o'l Canada. Right now it has a 3 shoe alloy. I'm thinking what to try next... Ill finish the run in when it gets back. After the first gallon there will be video for all. I wont do anything b4 that point that will show its true power. So no point for tape..

Latest posts

Members online

Back