engine upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocremy

hey all, i m trying to upgrade my old savage 25 with new engine,
i can't decide which one to get. Its nitro star vs OS 30vg or is there a more powerful engine? thank you!!!

Os30vg is a good engine but cheaper .28's will rip it.. Get something like a LRP Z28R spec3 or a Axial 28rr!

If you don't know the difference between these mills, you should know that an OS 30vg is a more powerful engine but,... it's also more difficult to tune, due to a more advanced carb application, compared to say, a Nitro Star k4.6 The k4.6 is easier to tune and has desent HP. If you don't know what to do at this pont, than get an HPI k4.6

Okay, I almost certain the OS 30vg is easy to tune. What do you mean "more advanced carb application"? The 4.6 has a low,mid, and high, while the .30vg has a low and high.

Dude, My bud's got a colari on his OS ,..I Forgot..Woops!

No problem man it happens to me allot too. If anyone cares I say go get and axial .28, or .32. The size is up to you but go Axial because you install it break it in for about 10 tanks and then its nothing but fun after that. Don't believe the "HPI 4.6 and the Axial are the same engine" because they're not. Go to SMF and pick up the Axial .28 for $125 or the .32 for $180.

http://www.smfstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=196_45&products_id=563

http://www.smfstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=196_45&products_id=729

Fxstrongside: "No problem man it happens to me allot too. If anyone cares I say go get and axial .28, or .32. The size is up to you but go Axial because you install it break it in for about 10 tanks and then its nothing but fun after that."________Yea ,I here ya on that one FX. But I just can't stand the idea of giving out mis-information like that to anyone. I would become a mute in a monnistary before I could allow myself to do that "allot.....lol"

Fxstrongside: "No problem man it happens to me allot too. If anyone cares I say go get and axial .28, or .32. The size is up to you but go Axial because you install it break it in for about 10 tanks and then its nothing but fun after that."________Yea ,I here ya on that one FX. But I just can't stand the idea of giving out mis-information like that to anyone. I would become a mute in a monnistary before I could allow myself to do that "allot.....lol"

? that post confuses me

for me the axial is a better version of the k4.6, and the k4.6 rocks. mine was amazing in my savage, tons of wheely popping fun.

Yeah ocremy it's up to you and we'll (meaning the forum) fight over which engine is easier to tune, more bang for the buck, fastest, most reliable, longest lasting, etc. till the sun goes down.

Here are the engine I would reccomend-

HPI F4.1
HPI Nitro Star 4.6
Axial .28
Axial .32
OS .30vg
STS .28
STS .30
Picco .28
XTM 457

I know that didn't help narrow it down but those are the only engines I would run. IMO

WOOOW.....lol What is brewing here?... OK.... LET ME CLARIFY....FX, I quoted some statements of yours in association with, and as a comparative reply to, some of my own comments I wanted to state. They focused on my own sense of responsibillity in ME, giving out accurate information as consistent as possible. They expressed a desire in MYSELF to not allow myself a wide margin of error, in giving out information to questions. And was not to be taken harshly. I regret there was any mis-understanding

No I wasn't offended or anything I just didn't understand what you were saying. Nothing brewing here.

Yea....Not a bad move at all. Sorry for the mis-information with the carb comment, ocremy. I totally spaced on the carb swap this guy had on his OS. He was using a colari carb. On the k4.6, I steered you towards this choice based on an asumption that you wanted more power in your upgrade yet, may not want extra difficulty with tuning issues. And This was based on my memory with this guy's OS 30vg, dealing with colari tunning probs. One thing I will say is that , since you've made your choice for the OS, you can still research the use of a colari carb for yourself, down the road, some. This carb will get even more out of your OS mill, as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
the OS vg30 is eh ok i guess I'm thinking at the moment of just puttn a JP 21 in my XSS ive got 1 in my MBX5R and no **** the thing is insane it would be uncontrolable is a savage

The Xtm 457 Is A Awsome Engine And Relatively Cheap To! 3.8 Horsepower To Be Exact!! I Have It On My X And Cant Keep The Front Wheels Down ! Its Only $160 At Hobby People

Savage X Mods So Far!!

MODS TO DATE:

RPM PURPLE A-ARMS
RPM PURPLE CENTER SKID PLATE
NEW ERA MODELS FUEL TANK CONVERSION (OFNA 125cc tank)
hpi purple ribbed pipe (tsais c5 hurricane dual exhaust on the way!!)
1500mah NiMH HUMP PACK (ONLYBATTERYPACKS.COM)
DIRT BONZ TIRES ON 6 SPOKE SHINY WHEEL CROME

MORE TO COME I'm SURE!! LOL

I Ran A Xtm 457 Engine In My Old Truck And Wow What A Powerhouse! And The Engines Only Like $160 Bucks

I run an Axial .28, Every time i hit the throttle the truck is on its rear wheels, Loads of power
DSC02261.JPG

I think that was his sts .30 could be wrong tho !

Yes it was in one of my many questions. He put the K4.6ho carb on his RBmods STS D30M due to it being the same 9mm carb, and that the carb for the STS has coarse threads and that the O-rings werent that good.

Latest posts

Members online

Back