Engine Temperature Part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The F4.6 is my first experience with nitro after many years of electric, but I agree it is a pain to tune. I'm almost done with my HPI fuel and then I'm going to try the Odonnells and we'll see if there is any difference.
I can get my engine to run any cooler then 260 or so and thats where is has the most power. HPI says it shouldnt be over 250 but if you read their own FAQs it says to tune for power not temp so who knows. Definitely learning a lot about these engines in a short period of time. And all of you have bee a great help. Thank you

Alot of people run these engines to lean and thats probally the wierd sound you heard.

Hi,

Well, it only made the sound for a couple seconds, and I always watch and make sure lots of smoke with i give it throttle, oh this is tuned only about 1/4 turn past factory on the HSN and the lsn is at default. I don't see how it could be too lean. Ive checked for leaks in the exhust and tank I just don't know. I just checked and set everything back to default and Iam taking it out again in a bit to mess around see if I cant get it any better. I bet it will get at least to 275 with the default breakin settings, well Ive seen it do it before so I don't know why it wouldn't do it again. I do have a new tank from newera hobbies comming to see if it helps any but I kind of doubt it at this point as I am tuning it at 1/2 tank.

Thanks,

John

Hey John.
I just had mine out again and it was running great but the temp was still around 270. I don't think its going to go much lower then that unless the new fuel makes a difference. I think that this is the temp this engine wants to run at and Ill have to live with it. I did chew up another spur gear though so my day ended quickly. I have to go to work in a little while so Ill get another gear at the LHS tomorrow.
Ill let you know what happens with the odonnells when I have the new gear in.

If you are having trouble nailing your afr go back to stock setting and go from there.

Hi,

She ran great so far today. I set everything bak to default and filled her almost full, I don't think I am seeing the 1/2 tank lean problem but only started tuning at 1/2 tank anyway. I got about 1/2 turn on the HSN (and I am pretty sure I could go futher plnty of smoke from the pipe but I stopped, it was running pretty good and wheelies were easy, I then moved the LSN just 1/8 turn so far then I ran out of fuel, oh th temp never got over 230 degrees.

I had to bring it in because stupid me left the radio on the rx side on all last night, I really don't know how that happened, oh yeah, someone broke in and switched it on, that's it I couldn't have been that stupid. anyway it is charging now and I will go back out asap.

One thing I did that might have fixed it, not sure but I had rread a post by SJ in another thread about checking the exhuast for leaks, well I had noticed smoke from the side of the pipe connected to the mil. I don't think it was leaking but I tightened the tie wrap as tight as I could--didn't see any smoke today but it could have been a leaf or weed or something smoking. Another thing I did was to remove the tank, the odonnels fuel is clear, I noticed it looked a bit yellow out of one of the bottles so I emptied it from the tank and flushed it will clear fuel from the other bottle. I don't know why that fuel looked yellow It was getting pretty dark yesterday by the time I took it out and I didn't notice or didn't see the yellowish color. I through that fuel away.

I will let you know how it goes after I get the batt's charged.

John

One thing that will help alot keeping the 1/2 tank lean deal ok is to cut small pieces of tubing and put them on the post the tank sits in and then clip the tank over and takes alot of vibration away and the fuel doesnt bubble as much. helps alot for consistent air fuel ratio.

One thing that will help alot keeping the 1/2 tank lean deal ok is to cut small pieces of tubing and put them on the post the tank sits in and then clip the tank over and takes alot of vibration away and the fuel doesnt bubble as much. helps alot for consistent air fuel ratio.

Hi,

I actually did add a couple silicon o-rings there instead of the black ones, the silicon is much softer than the ones that were there, I guess they will hold up to the fuel because the tube is silicon too. Thanks though, It is a good idea I put it there because the tank wobbeled a lot.

The truck is running really good now, I just had it out I only drove a 1/2 tank out of it I was just hurting too bad to say any longer, but it only got to 212 degrees, I think it can be tuned futher still but it is not running bad the way it is.

Oh I that noise is becauise it is leaning out like you said, I tiped it over by the time I got there it died and I heard the pitch go up, Just wondering why it did that when I still had gas in it unless it wwas just because it was low on fuel and the shaking made it get air in the tube???

Thanks,

John

Hi,

I don't know why but my engine tempetures are doing much better lately, the same settings that were getting hot quick are taking a long time to get even abov 200, either it is because they weren't broken in all the way or it is because I switched to the 25% fuel. It has been a bit cooler lately I just wouldn't think it has been that much cooler to make the kidn of differences I am seeing.

do these mill's cool down after being fully broke in?

John

Not sure John. I'm running the Odonnells 20% racing fuel now and I saw a drop in temps as well. I actually had it running under 250 for a while. I'm having a problem though once I reach half a tank. The temps shoot way up as I seem to be experiencing the half tank lean problem. Not sure how to get around that. Anyone out there have any suggestions?
Thanks

I have read that this will fix it

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?part_id=1704

some say the problem is because of the shelf in the stock tnk. another cure I have read abut is the mid tank conversion.

there is a thread in the thread doobee made called 'doobee's newbie's it has a link to the thread on half tank lean.

before any of that make sure you have no leaks in the tank or fuel tube or exaust tube.

good luck,

John

Latest posts

Members online

Back