Engine Temperature Part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithv

OK, I've been trying to get my F4.6 tuned for a few weeks now. I'm still not having much luck. When I finally got the engine running well (quick throttle response and nice top speed) the temp was around 300. I tried resetting everything and starting over. Still running hot. I decided to try sealing the engine today. I tested the temp again afterwards and its still hot. I can get the temp down but then the engine is running like garbage and bogging really bad. I have a steady flow of smoke at top speed but the temp is still too high.
Now I have two questions.
First is there anything else I'm missing thats causing this thing to run so hot?
Second is I saw a few places selling larger cooling heads for this engine. Does anyone know if they really make that much of a difference and do you think this would be the answer to my problem?
Thank you.

Yes A Different Cooling Head Might Drop The Temp A Bit But Somehow U Have To Figure Out Whats Up As It Would Be Just A "band Aid" Fix So To Speak! AS YOUR TRUCK SHOULD BE RUNNING COOLER THE WAY IT SITS!!
What Plug Are U Running? Have U Cut Out The Front Windshield A Bit(2in Hole) And The Back Window To Allow Air To Flow Directly To Your Engine And Air Filter? Other Then That I'm Stumped Cuz It Sounds Like U Have Tried Everything Else! Could It Be A Air Leak In The Tank Or Fuel Lines? Or Maybe A Fuel Filter That Leaks!! HAVE U TRIED A DIFFERENT TEMP GUN TO CHECK TEMPS? AS MAYBE THE ONE YOUR USING IS OFF!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I've been trying to get my F4.6 tuned for a few weeks now. I'm still not having much luck. When I finally got the engine running well (quick throttle response and nice top speed) the temp was around 300. I tried resetting everything and starting over. Still running hot. I decided to try sealing the engine today. I tested the temp again afterwards and its still hot. I can get the temp down but then the engine is running like garbage and bogging really bad. I have a steady flow of smoke at top speed but the temp is still too high.
Now I have two questions.
First is there anything else I'm missing thats causing this thing to run so hot?
Second is I saw a few places selling larger cooling heads for this engine. Does anyone know if they really make that much of a difference and do you think this would be the answer to my problem?
Thank you.

Hi,

I have the same engine on one of my trucks, it too runs up around 300 degreees. From what Ive read here that can be ok as long as you get god smoke at full throttle, tune for preformance not temp. Here is a link to a thread where I got this info from, I posted some coments there the other day , I was wondering the same thing your talking about the book says 250 degrees for that engine.

Heres the link it is good reading.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32365#post32365

John

I'm Thinking Some Engines Just Run Hotter Then Others As I Remember Someone Else The Other Day Sayiing Theres Ran At Around 300 With Lots Of Blue Smoke So I Guess Some Do!

My 4.1 Runs 230-240 Consistently for best performance But A Buddys Runs At Like 275 For Best Performance

I was running the truck with the body off. I'm using a duratraxx flashpoint temp gun. It was the only one I could find at the LHS. Before that I used a craftsman multimeter with a thermostat and I got the same readings. I don't think there are any fuel leaks, since I haven't seen anything wet anywhere on the truck other then by the exhaust. I'm pretty sure I have the truck running too rich since it leaves an oil trail wherever I drive it. I don't have a fuel filter installed yet. Not sure if I should put one in or not. This has me stumped.
I wanna thank everyone for their help.

Thanks Wister. I read that post the other day too. And like you said, not one of the videos about tuning mentions temps. So I don't know what to believe anymore. I'm thinking I'll just tune for performance and see what happens. If the engine fails I guess Ill replace it with something better. I don't think there is much else I can do, other then try the other cooling head.

Ok try and run a colder plug ... like a mc 8
or.. get some different fuel .. something with a high oil content. something like sidewinder fuel or trinity brand ..

Maybe I missed it but what are you using to check temps ? it might be off .

Try the spit test . if you put a drop of water on the head (by the plug). If it;s running to hot then the water will boil instantly . too cold it won't boil at all The water should take a couple sec to start to boil

Hope I helped a little

Not at all. I appreciate all the responses. I'm still new to Nitro. I always had electric until recently so its been a bit of a learning curve and all you on here have been a HUGE help.

Ya wisters On The Right Track I Think!! The Only Reason I Worried About Temps Was Cuz It Was My First Nitro Rc So At The Begining I Checked because i was scared to blow it up lol But I Didnt Tune By Temp I Did It By Performance And Sound Believe It Or Not!! It Just Sounds Different When Tuned Correct, Well Atleast Mine Does!

Hey SJ. I'm using an MC8 now with HPI 20% nitro.
I'm using a duratraxx flashpoint temp gauge. I got the same readings with my craftsman meter. Ill give the spit test a try though and see what happens.
If I used a higher oil content wouldnt i have to lean it out more to get the same performance? don't know too much about the different fuels yet.

I agree Shaun. When I had it running at its best it sounded great. Nice snap off the line and smooth sound at top speed. No sputtering or bogging at all. Thats when I checked the temp and almost had a heart attack when I saw it was over 300.. Been trying everything since then.

I'm Using Sidewinder Backyard Basher 20% Which Has 16% Oil Which Is A Bit Higher Then Other Brands Besides Traxxas Which Has Like 18% Oil Which Is To Much In My Opinion! Never had any problems with it!

Hey SJ. I'm using an MC8 now with HPI 20% nitro.
I'm using a duratraxx flashpoint temp gauge. I got the same readings with my craftsman meter. Ill give the spit test a try though and see what happens.
If I used a higher oil content wouldnt i have to lean it out more to get the same performance? don't know too much about the different fuels yet.

so your break isn't dragging or a wheel bearing isn't seized up .. anything like that can cause a unnecessary load on the engine

Hi,
it's crazy, I have a K4.6 Iam breaking in now, with the default settings for breakin ( should be very rich) it got up to 274 degrees, I had to stop it. finally I richened it on the LSN. I found a article where a guy had the same type problem, he thought climate/location has something to do with it, I don't know. heres the link if your interested. http://ashburg.com/?p=361 they have a lot of good info there anyway.

I going to tune for preformance and see what happens. If i blow it up I blow it up, and I will have an exsuce to get a STS :). I don't know what else to do except to do that and make sure there's plenty of blue smoke.

John

I'm At A Unfair Advantage To Help As I'm Learning That I've Been Sooo Lucky With My Truck As I Have 6 Quarts Through It And haven't Had Any Problems, Even Have The Original Spur Gear Still! SO GOOD LUCK SORRY I COULDNT HELP MORE!!

Nope, breaks are ok no drag at all. I just replaced the clutch bearings last week because the fell apart. I think I had the gear mesh wrong which caused them to blow. Mesh is good now and there doesnt seem to be any extra drag on the engine.

I Remember My Low Speed Was Way Out When I Took My Truck Out Of The Box Like A Turn And A Half To Lean So Now I don't Just Take For Granted That The Settings Are Correct Lol

I'm approaching a gallon and a half and I've had to replace 2 bearings, a spur gear and a OWB. The OWB i think was cracked when i got it because it only lasted about 2 days. So far HPI has been great with the warranty but I had hoped I wouldnt have to keep taking this thing apart everyday.

I'm in New York, temps here are in the 70's still so its not that hot and the humidity finally broke a little.

Yes I've Heard It Alot That Hpi Takes Care Of Its Customers!!

SO far so good. but I think they might get tired of hearing from me soon.. :)

Lol!! Well Atleast Your Learning Alot About Your Truck By Fixing It And Replacing Stuff!!

Hi,

I just thought of something, I haven't tried yet but I read in this forum that the higher % nitro fuel actually burns cooler than the lower % nitro. might be worth a try I m going to for sure after I get rid of the 20% I have.

Let me know if you try.

John

lol. True.. but I hoped it would have taken a while before I had to take the whole thing apart. Its only a little over a month old. Only thing I haven't had apart yet are the diffs.. and I hope I didnt just jinx myself.

hmm, didnt see that. What are you going to try? 25% or 30%. Does brand make a difference at all?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back