Engine Mount Check and Fix with pics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterB

I've had a tough time trying to get my spur gear mesh just right. Seemed that it would either be too loose or too tight depending on which screws were loosened and how much. So I did a quick check of the engine mount on a flat surface while the engine was out and found that the bottom of the mount is not perfectly flat causing the engine to "rock" on the mounting plate. Tightening the mounting screws would then cause the mounting plate to distort causing the gear mesh to change. Both of my trucks had the same problem. So I did a quick cure. Out came the belt sander.

First, place the engine on a known flat, clean, surface and push down on all corners. If it moves or rocks the plate is not flat. Check in a different location on the surface just in case the surface isnt perfectly flat. A thick piece of glass works great for this If you have one if not I just used a flat countertop.

If it is determined that the engine mount is not flat you will need to remove material from the high spots. I chose to use a belt sander because I have a high quality one with a metal belt installed. I do not recomend using a poor quality sander to do this. Instead you will need some sanding paper and something flat to lay it on. Self stick sanding discs work great for this.

I chose to leave the mount attached to the engine so that the shape would be accurate and not change after reattaching to the engine.

Work the assembly back and forth on the flattened sand paper being very careful not to rock the plate. Recheck the flatness on your flat surface. Remember that you do not want to remove any more material than necessary.

When the engine and mount sits flat your done.

Besides the obvious benefit of easier, quicker, and more accurate mesh adjustments there will also be increased surface contact between the mount and the mounting plate which will help to dissipate some of the heat from the engine.

Good luck.

I have re-surfaced mine too. but not with power tools.. good job!

I use a sheet of glass (about 2' square) for lapping pc heatsinks, but i would have thought a heavier grade of sandpaper would do the job, glass is a goos level, imho. Good fix though bud. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back