Dual Stainless Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Hi guys,
I made a couple upgrades recently and these brakes from HPI are night and day from the stock one fiber disk brake set up.

HPI87150-2.jpg

http://myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku?sku=HPI87150&itemname=dual_disc_brake_set_ss_s25savx

get yours they are worth twice that price imo

'

The SS brakes are good for awhile. That's all I used to run, but, after awhile the pads will come off from the metal "calipers" and you'll end up with no brakes at all. I've tried setting them up a bunch of different ways and the end result was always the same. I'm switching over to the dual red fiber brakes cuz I've heard those are alot better than the single and SS brakes. Just some input for you to consider. And also, the reason behind the pads comin off the calipers is because when they heat up, it loosens the glue.

2 of us are running these at the moment,haven't had any of the problems i had with the fibre pads.The only time they don't work very well is in the wet.haven't had any issues with the pads coming out either:).

Mine are in the mail. Will be here wednesday.

My dual fiberglass brakes were horrible. They worked for seven days. And then I could never get them to slow me down at all. No clamp whatsoever. Plus I destroyed a disc some how...

Anyway, the SS should be good for me now.

Ordering Dual fiber for the new truck and ordered new pads for the os truck already because i got no brakes!

Dual Fiber is the ONLY way to go for breaks. They will last for gallons... You will be lucky to get half a gal out of the SS brakes before the pads disappear. The dual fiber also has plenty of stopping power. I'm using an 80oz/in servo for brakes right now and it will endo my extended lowered savy with enough traction. Thats on brakes that are over 6 gals old.

Just put the SS brakes on my truck and so far so good. Only one tank of fuel but they seem to work better then the dual fiber...for the time being. Nervous about the pads coming once they heat up though.

I'm nervous about that too. And I haven't even gotten my kit in the mail yet.

All I know is my brakes died really fast and then a disc broke. So I'm going SS instead of fiberglass now.

i was very tempted by these brakes too but everyone advised me to get the red fibre ones and they are amazing!!! Stop my heavy truck in no time at all!

imho opinion the ss brakes do outperform the red fibers when they are new but as soon as they start to wear you need to constantly adjust them to keep there performance. get them wet and need them forget it you will be replacing parts.

Red Fibers FTW! I use them on a heavy truck as well and I have to tone them down just to keep my rear wheels on the ground, even when they are wet. Up here in N. Cali (redwood country) we get a lot of moisture and overcast days where the grass will stay wet all the time and never get all the way dry, plus you hit small standing puddles and such so my truck ends up getting wet more often than not and I have never lost braking performance on the red fiber brakes. I've got 6 gallons on them and they still work great. In fact, that's one part of my truck that has yet to even be dismantled. Never had the bottom of the tranny or the brakes apart. Never had a problem with any of it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have to agree with the red fiber glass guys. I love mine and have never looked back from them.

imho opinion the ss brakes do outperform the red fibers when they are new but as soon as they start to wear you need to constantly adjust them to keep there performance. get them wet and need them forget it you will be replacing parts.

AMEN to this!!! I put the SS brakes on and at first...WOW, they worked AWESOME. Now that I have a few tanks through, warming up the R/C I am constantly cranking the break adjustment to get my breaks to work.
So when they do work, they work awesome. When they don't work...just let it glide...
Good Luck to all.

Awesome replys men

thanks

I should of addded a poll to this thread to start but, looks like the red fiber are more popular at this point.

Update :

I inspected my stainless brake set after running 4-5 tanks threw them. I don't see any wear yet.
I did have to turn the brake pressure down to about 25% on my rx from 60% where I was with stock single brake pad setup.

These brakes are brutal, easily flips the truck when applied to hard.

Bringing back an old thread...

My stainless brake disc hits on my clutch bell.

Pretty sure I'm gonna take it all apart tomorrow and see what the deal is. Maybe the motor is not mounted right.

In any case, I was wondering if anyone has this issue as well.

Only time I had this issue is when my motor twisted , check the mount .
and for the record , I went to the red fiber and I won't step back down.
I was replacing pads every few tanks...
tried different combinations of pads with no luck , it was more maintenance then anything.
as soon as the Fiber ones came out I upgraded.
and they work when they are wet too
Plus I don't get that rattle anymore , I hated that rattle sound

Pretty sure I'm gonna take it all apart tomorrow and see what the deal is. Maybe the motor is not mounted right.

Problem solved get the dual red fiber glass pads ..

Motor plate is bent 9 out of ten times.. this will also mushroom the disks and cut your pads..

I have long since gone to red disks since learning the savage. my first Xss came with these pads and I hated them..

I started with dual red fiber disks. They were the worst. Not only did they die after a week but they broke as well. Hence, the installation of the SS discs.

I started with dual red fiber disks. They were the worst. Not only did they die after a week but they broke as well. Hence, the installation of the SS discs.

I don't run in rocks to hit my disks, so I have not experienced this. But I have had 4 sets of pads rip off my SS disks. I have a mod to the reds and they work perfect on my Flux and nitro savages. Nitro is on the same set of disks for near 2 years of use. That will never happen with the SS. Ss do work better for poor servos though I will say that.

Make 6-8 full speed passes with hard breaking... More so if you have a 53+ MPH savy as I do. The pads heat and the glue lets go, DONE. I had it happen too many times to a 1600 buck investment that cant stop.. Went Red, set them up better then hpis and no issues front flips on command.

Fully adjustable. I also don't have HPI linkage on my truck. That's half of the savages brake issues alone.

Date/Time: 2009:03:31 18:44:27

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/justin11275/brake mod/DSC_0073.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/justin11275/brake mod/DSC_0074.jpg

same set taken today... thanks for making me look I took off the skid to find rust.. clean up time

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j314/justin11275/brake mod/DSC_0017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know man, everyone I have heard talk says go with the red fibers. That's what I have on my XL and I couldn't ask for anything better honestly. They have been through so much abuse! I have 8 gallons on the truck now, and it has been ran over once by a FedEx truck, and they still work great! So much braking power I have to tone them down on occasion because it will keep flipping over when I tap the brakes.

I agree Justin, mine have been on a year now with zero maintenance. I run in rocks, dirt, gravel, grass, water, sand at the dunes, you name it, and all with no skid plate! The red fiber brakes are fantastic IMO!

Yeah i bought the SS brakes once and they are the biggest waste of money IMO!! Red Fibers FTW!!! :rock1:

Latest posts

Members online

Back