Dual rate pistons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageDarwin

I have an Axial Bomber and randomly looking thru the instruction it has optional dual rate pistons in the spare parts bag. I installed them in the rear shocks this morning and after the difference I want some for the savage! Running the stock 8 shock setup, I did a quick Google search and seen that rpm sells some but not really clear on the size of them.

I have variable pistons in the Integy shocks I built for my savage, used all the internals from the Big Bores but changed the pistons... these pistons have a small hole on one side and a slightly bigger one on the other, so you can set rebound or compression to your liking, so far I have bashed the crap out of them and they do work like the instructions said they would, I am liking them as of now...

Gonna bash some on the 29th of july so I will update as to what I think..

Here is the Axial Bomber way and the way rpm one are set up. The 2 disk sitting together (compression) oil can only travel thru 2 hole, but as they travel out the disc seperate allowing oil to travel thru extra holes

I have a similar functioning device on my revos. They call it a "variable shock" system. Except for theirs, it uses pistons that have a very shallow channel in them and a very thin metal reed valve you lay in the channel which is held down by the nut that holds the piston on. You can mount them either so the reed is on the bottom or top of the piston, just depends what you want to slow down.

Without those, the revo would bottom out from a 2" drop. As it is, I'm running a very high spring rate and oil rate. Recently found that I split both rear shock disks... so got a bit creative and drilled out the reed holes a bit and used pistons with larger non-valved holes.

The cracked pistons:
2017-0708-ERBE-RearVDK-number3Disks-damaged.jpg

I didn't think about it much, but it would be nice to have this in the savage. Then I could run a bit lighter oil and have a quicker rebound time. Not sure of the big bore diameter though.

So MIP has come out with bypass pistons ie dual rate simular to the revo ones posted. Does anybody know the bore size of savage shocks?

Latest posts

Members online

Back