diff shim size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvergs

Hi everyone,

I have a buttload of ebay parts that i just got in, so the wifey is gonna be lonely tonight :lmao3:

i figure i do the diff shims too. my question is what sizes will i need and how much. what sizes can i get away with bc my lhs might not have the specific one. thanks guys, as always, you guys :jamout:

also, would my hardware store have them?

Do you use these to shim the pinion gear or just the drive cups / side-to-side play?

I have these and don't think they'd fit good (albeit I haven't tried) for the pinion gear...the inner diameter looks too big.

used them to shim the diff bearing to clean up side to side play. shim does not contact the diff cup, just the outside casing of the bearing so that the inner race spins freely like this VVV kinda hard to see in the pic, but the shims fit between the bearing & the inner plastic groove in the bulkhead

used them to shim the diff bearing to clean up side to side play. shim does not contact the diff cup, just the outside casing of the bearing so that the inner race spins freely like this VVV kinda hard to see in the pic, but the shims fit between the bearing & the inner plastic groove in the bulkhead

My outdrive cups don't look like that...the shim actually comes up and over the neck of the end cup...wish I was at home so that I can take a picture.

frddy, Does it work there well? I shimmed mine on the left side to push the gears closer together. I placed them between the bearing the diff.

I used the 13x16 as well.

frddy, Does it work there well? I shimmed mine on the left side to push the gears closer together. I placed them between the bearing the diff.

I used the 13x16 as well.

it actually does whip. i originally shimmed the ring gear side but it made the mesh 'wicked' tight & no play. shimmed the other side & a little less than .5 mm (est) side to side action

it actually does whip. i originally shimmed the ring gear side but it made the mesh 'wicked' tight & no play. shimmed the other side & a little less than .5 mm (est) side to side action

Thanks man. Do you have problems with the shims sliding around from the 13mm size?

Latest posts

Members online

Back