Denatured Alcohol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JroCc

Does anyone know of a good place to purchase DA? I've been to the local paint store and it was kind of expensive like 25bucks US a gallon. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that would sell it not only cheaper than that but maybe in more bulk..maybe a 5 gallon container. Either or is fine. I"m having some difficulty locating it locally in Maryland.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the double post..but I just thought of something else.

Is their a specific Brand or type of DA i should go with as well...I want to make sure I don't purchase the wrong thing and it messes up my Sav while cleaning it.

Thanks again.

I pay about $6/ quart for it at Wal-Mart. When you think about it, it's not bad considering what you'd spend on the same amount of nitro cleaner.

I bought Purple Power at Walmart and it's some good stuff, and you can mix it down with water if it is too strong.

DA is also at Walmart by the gallon and it's not that bad in price.

I'm looking to make some nitro cleaner using denatured alcohol and simple green but can't seem to find some anywhere.

Know of any canadian store where they have denatured alcohol?

Are there no Home Depot's or Lowes in Canada?

since denatured alcohol is made up mostly of ethanol it was banned in Canada during prohibition. Methanol is the substance that makes up the "denatured" part of the alcohol solution. Methanol may be used and it has a very good evaporation quality to it, but it is extremely poisonous and readily enters the body through absorption. I have never found Denatured Alcohol in Canada but being that i live a 15 minute drive from the border i get it in the good ole USA, and have never had a problem bringing it back to Canada with me.

Does methanol mixes with simple green safely? I found some of that in my local hardware store (BMR). Maybe it would be OK to use that wearing gloves?

Unfortunately I live a bit too far from the border to go purchase some DA in the USA. Any other options?

it will mix well with simple green, but do a test batch and sprey on some spare plastic pieces to make sure it does not turn them brittle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back