Cylinder pinch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingolf

She’s a sad day ? the 5.9 just won’t start anymore.took the sleeve and piston out and piston slides freely right to the top of the sleeve. No one seems to have any cylinder and piston sets anymore. Has anyone ever got there set resized or re pinched ? This may be my only saviour , unless someone knows where to bye new .

Thanks I’ll give them a email , any idea if the dynamite.28 big red would fit right in ? There are very few nitro engines left available

I don't see why not. Back in the day, a buddy of mine ran the mach 427 in his from his LST2. I've had LRP28, LRP30, SH28, XTM 24.7 and OS21RG in a savage. May need alternate head gasket as the HPI headers are a bit larger than some and various flywheel shims, but they all bolted in without too much trouble.

I never used a roto start, well, every limited use. I rely on pullstarts.

The big red comes with a pull start , at least the one I am looking at buying. As long as you don’t have to get a exhaust pipe to go with it .

I've got a new piston/sleeve/conn. rod set for the K5.9 I can part with....$125. At the that price, I'm breaking even, I've got two sets. don't know if I'll ever use them. That's if you want to keep your XL true to original....otherwise as others have pointed out, there are many other good engine options that may be more cost effective. If I can find that link, I had found a foreign site that is selling Force .46 engines for about $140

Ah, yes there is a slight clearance issue with the lower part of the engine block, so one of the adjustable engine mounts would be necessary as well. Those will be more difficult to find of course. I took the Dremel out & sanded a bit off the inside of the mount to make mine fit into the MGT I put it in. A friend dropped a Dynamite Mach2 .26 into his LST2 & he was amazed at the power, so there are many good options that will be direct fit without more parts adding up.

Hello Blackie you have a 5.9 piston and sleeve set ! Out of curiosity where are you located ? Two hobby shops in central Canada have told me that the Dynamite big red .28 will fit . I have got one to mail me one . But may still try to get the 5.9 running again . Thanks

I'm in Horicon, Wisconsin. I've got an XL with the LRP .32 in it. I don't know how big of an engine you can fit into a Savage without having to go to a wider engine mount. The X (.28) & the XL (.36) share the same 86060 engine mount. The .46 I mentioned before may fit with a little grinding if you're comfortable doing that. Otherwise just about any big block will fit the stock mount, the bolt hole dimensions are, for the most part, standardized

I will keep you in mind. First when I receive the Dynamite big red I bought I’ll see if I can get that engine running . Would like to get the 5.9 running again one day !!

Your right about that. Unfortunately I was unable to find that engine in Canada. No hobby shops had one . The one hobby shop I did talk to said watch a YouTube video of a savage xl with the Dynamite.28 , looked like it performed well. Once I get it installed I’ll post a review and let everyone know what I think .

Latest posts

Members online

Back