Custom air filter protector tab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Form

Recently I found out that the clip used to lock the radio box digs into the air filter foam on my Savy's filter and leaves a gap where dust can eventually enter the filter itself:

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

I double-checked that my air filter was fully seated, and it was. So I thought of a fix:

I took a small piece of plastic, heat it with a hair dryer for a while to make it more flexible, then bent it to a 90 degree angle. I then CA-glued the soft side of a velcro stripe on it to prevent rattle. Finally I CA-glued the tab to my air filter cap, like so:

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

I hope this tip can help people who still have the stock air filter!

great idea, as it don't take alot of dirt to ruin a engine!!

Thanks for the feedback everybody! I didn't get the chance to run it yet but I bet it will hold up fine. It surely does a nice job of protecting the air filter while the savy's not running.

If anyone else decides to do this mod, let's see the pics!

I like the idea except that you will have to unglue it when you want to take the filter off and then reglue when you are done.

Great idea. Another way I tried(wasnt my idea saw someone say something about it on a forum). Take a spray can cap off drill a hole in the
Center to screw on to airfilter. Now you have a full on protective plastic shield. However I drilled small holes all around the plastic cap for better air flow.
However this idea is awesome. Feedback
After you run it awhile!

Here's an update:

The protector tab holds very well and it does prevent the air filter from deforming and letting dirt in. If I had to do it from scratch again though, I'd probably make it wider so the protector is always in contact with the radio box clip. While the protector works very well and there is no deformation in the air filter foam, sometimes when bashing the air filter moves from side to side and the protector doesn't line up with the clip.

I ran about half a gallon with this and it holds up very well to date! Overall this is a very effective mod I'd say.

Here are some pics of the post-bashing protector tab:

airfilter_afterbash01.jpg

airfilter_afterbash02.jpg

airfilter_afterbash03.jpg

airfilter_afterbash04.jpg

Great way to protect the air filter indeed.

I think it's a great idea!!. I did mine a little different. I had an old servo packaging box. I cut a strip crom the bottom and side wher it curved up. I reamed a hole and secured it with the screw that holds the filter cap in place. Gonna put rubber oadding on the bottom by the clip for vibration

I made my own also, a piece of kydex plastic bent and held on with the center screw, easy and functional..... about 5 mins fab time...

I know this is an old thread, but I always just used a piece of wire and tied it to the roll bar to keep the filter from flopping around and potentially coming off the engine.
2016-1007-SavageXAirFilterHanger.jpg

ALL nice ideas , glad we aren't all the same and can still respect others opinions Props. to ALL

ELWOOD

That’s what I have always loved about the savage there is always something you can mod/improve on with it how simply but effective it maybe! ??

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back