cracked fuel tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter4478

hey all. i have a question about replacement fuel tanks for the savage x 4.6. i just cracked the side of mine on the pavement and it can not be fixed. should i replace with a oem one or a metal one? anyone with some input please reply. thanks for your help.

i agree with larsenracing. Their are some parts that are ok to upgrade to alum and others that are better left stock. the fuel tank is one of those parts un less you do a mid-tank mod.

or this tank is the one i switched to!! new era models sells the ofna 125cc tank with the mounting plate which they make themselves!! it is a bit smaller but its a better tank then the stock one!! and it moves the tank off the chassis plate which in my mind would help avoid busting tanks!! and the tank guard you see in the pic can be bought from new era models as well!!

P.S............ MAKE SURE IF YOU BUY THIS YOU GET THE SIDE MOUNTED ONE NOT THE ONE THAT MOUNTS AT THE REAR OF THE TRUCK AS I'm ASSUMING YOU BASH FAIRLY HARD AND I don't THINK THE ONE IN THE BACK WOULD LAST LONG!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ye don't get a metal one as you cant see the fuel level the one that nitroaddict said looks good i just run the racing tank from hpi.
hope this helps
4x4

:slapped: hey thanks all of you. you all make a great point about not seeing the fuel level in tha metal tank. thanks very much for the info i just got a stock tank and i'm thinking about a tank gaurd. what do you all think about the tank gaurds and what kind offers good protection for the tank? thank you all.

The way I normally break my tank is from the shock towers crushing it. the tank guards don't usually help much in that respect.

The way I normally break my tank is from the shock towers crushing it. the tank guards don't usually help much in that respect.

i have to agree i have broken my fair share of tanks that way. the only way to keep that from happening is a mid tank. Tank gards look nice but don't protect the tank from the shock tower. I'm pretty sure that they only protect the front and side and maybe the underside. But don't hold me to that cause I'm not real sure.

I guess ive never busted or cracked a tank. I guess its luck as I have over 9 gallons on the truck. (Knock on wood) I guess I did go threw one but that was because I busted the cap off some how which was my fault. The tank guards only protect the front and side along with the bottom for the most part but the guards that fit with the stock tank arnt real great or reliable. They also arnt real sturdy and tend to crack or break on ther own. they are really thin light guage aluminum.

That's a sweet tank. It would overcome the lean issue too as the surface are of the fuel looks like it would be the same all the way down. pitty about the price.

heres a aluminum tank i found with a fuel level indicator built in, sweet looking tank but a bit pricey at $70.00 but it would probabally be the last tank you boughtView attachment 1050

Last edited by a moderator:
i deleted the first one because the pic was so huge!! so i did it again with a smaller pic.. sorry mtbikertim i knew after seeing how big the pic was i would get told to make them smaller lol

Latest posts

Members online

Back