Coby's Brushless Conversion!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought of using the C-Max series ones, but then they were out of my price range. The Sport Mac ones should do fine for me.

I think I am going to use the Atomic rear carriers instead of the Integy ones.

I have decided on the 2200kv, but idk if I am going with MMM or Flux. I want minimal modding but then the MMM is cheaper. How hard is it to accurately cut 1mm all around? Is there a special tool?

So I have successfully been able to do the 2speed to flux tranny mod onto my 3speed. The problem with it is that you will need much more shims than usual since you are using the last hole and not the second to last hole.

Edit: It didn't work. The 3-speed drive gear was too big and it caused the top of the gear case to not fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so here is the tranny problem I'm having. The top of the tranny case will not fit over the bottom. I think the drive gear on the 3-speed has more teeth than the one on the two speed. Anyone wanna come in and help?

Also, when I try to turn the 44T idler itself, it has some resistance on it. When I turn the 3-speed gears, it's fine. I think it's a mesh problem. Anyone else having this problem?

Here is my 44T idler shaft.
abnzbo.jpg

Here you can see the top of the tranny case not going on all the way.
2wmfcsk.jpg

This is the drive gear I'm talking about. The 44T idler gear makes contact with the middle gear.
2vb298l.jpg

Looks nice, but I've already got the chassis ready. The motor plate came today, and the last thing for the chassis to do is the flux tranny mod. I currently have Bank helping me so it should be fixed today.

if you got resistance then you prob have one to many shims. remove one and see if it helps.
id say you are right and there are to many teeth, just find a set of 2 speed internals online or buy the top gear and the one metal gear from the center gear set that u need.

I am requesting the pinion gear and the drive gear in the donation forum if anyone is willing to help. My LHS is out of stock and Towers has I think both of them on backorder. But yeah, those are the only two things I need for the tranny.

I'll try to post pictures of the motor mount on later. I'm suppose to be working on my summer essays. rockout

Does the flux have a special type of slipper clutch? I have my old slipper clutch that you can see in some of the pics ^^^.
I just need to buy the spur gear right?

same slipper, just take and tighten that thing as much as you can... its useless.

Oh okay. I take it that the Flux spur is also 1M?

Will have pictures up ASAP. Camera's charging right now before my parents leave for a cotillion.

Here's a picture with the motor plate.
2r5w7pi.jpg

Idk when my battery box or charger is gonna come in.

I have to buy some rear tierod elims from Atomic RC. I also have to figure if I'm gonna use radio box or a PRC plate.

i recomend removing the motor mount, put the motor in then instal. you wont be able to with it mounted in the truck. the flux is 10 times harder to work on the the nitro trucks. also don't mount your batt boxes till your ready to run the truck otherwise you will end up removing them a million times (trust me i know lol)

also with the atomic hubs it doesnt come with the lower pin you need, just take and either use fuel tube or find some kind of spacer so you can use the stockers.
looks good man.

Coby, what bell crank are you using? Looks great BTW.

Thanks guys! School is coming this Tues. so expect a slow down on the build. I'll still be working on Fridays so I can pay for the LiPos and brushless system.

i recomend removing the motor mount, put the motor in then instal. you wont be able to with it mounted in the truck. the flux is 10 times harder to work on the the nitro trucks. also don't mount your batt boxes till your ready to run the truck otherwise you will end up removing them a million times (trust me i know lol)

also with the atomic hubs it doesnt come with the lower pin you need, just take and either use fuel tube or find some kind of spacer so you can use the stockers.
looks good man.
Thanks for the tips man! Definitely is going to help me.

Coby, what bell crank are you using? Looks great BTW.
It's actually the monster pirate servo saver set, but I used some clutchbell spacers to remove the slack. Little did I know that it was the old school version, and it's much better to use just the spring with the X servo saver since it's adjustable. I'll probably change that out also.

coming along very nice coby. i like the way your doing this build. take you time and you will love it all the more. nothing worse then rushing then redoing.

Today I stopped by the LHS to pickup the two parts I needed for my Flux tranny. So now it works, but I have to shim it. I did buy some shims, but they weren't ID. I'll find a use for them later.
I also put the OFNA MP spring onto the HPI adjustable servo saver. Much better.
I need to pickup a screw set because lots of these screws are stripped from my old allen wrench tool thing. I got a new hex set which is much better. I am thinking of getting Tony's Screws or FullForce since they are black to match the chassis.

Battery boxes came in. I tried doing a test fit, and the bottom mounts didn't line up with the TCS TVPs. Not sure if the guy disassembled it and put it on upside-down or if it was how HPI sent it, but I had to flip it around so that it fit into the spaces for the mounts perfectly. They didn't come with foams either. I don't have my camera right now, but once I do I will post pictures.

Idk where my charger is. I sent the guy an email. We are in the same state so I assume it would be here by now if it was shipped.

Little bit of an update, got all my battery box mounts in, and the ESC mount plate on. I think I'm just gonna use the stock radio box for now. There are a few items that I need help finding their home, so I'll try to post a picture of those items when I get my camera back. My charger STILL hasn't come in. I found out the guys send them like 2 weeks after the transaction... I have called him and emailed him several times but with no response.

Also, I am not sure if this is so with the X skids, but do you have to completely remove the rear diff to access the mounting screws for the motor clamps, or are the X skids pre-drilled for access to that?

yea i had that problem aswell. what i ended up doing is just drilling a hole in the plastic skit and diff plate right above that bolt so i didnt have to remove it. my guess is either the flux has it or its one of those flaws... lol i have x plates so either the flux has different ones or hpi was asleep when they came up with the designe.

Oh okay. I think I'll do the same and drill into it. Just wondering. Thanks man!

Just placed an order for rear tie-rod elims. from Atomic. Will let keep you all updated.

I really have no idea. I never used the stock ones so I can't say. But It did have a good turning radius when I had extended FLMs.

I got them off of here from SavyScott. They are GPM. Dunno if they sell them anymore, you may have to buy both the hub and the steering carrier part (Dunno their names, I just call them both together as uprights). LMK if you are interested in buying some from me. I have no use for the rear ones. They will work on the front BTW. I can ship them to you like tomorrow-ish.

Actually, nvm. There is this stripped screw that is stuck on them and it is a PITA to get out. I'd rather just use these as spares. But yeah, GPM made them. They are usually on eBay.

do you got a brand for them bad boys?

Imho i would go with the RSC.. For a complete set to do your savy you would have 120 bucks for these, and with a little more you could get the rsc..Which will help out alot more than them...

Rear carriers came in, along with the charger and parts for my drifter. I wish I could post some pictures but my cousin still has our camera. Will post them when I get my camera back.

Well my SMC LiPo came in (Yes, I only bought one for now. I am going to use it in my drifter until I get cash for a MMM and another LiPo). It is the Sport Max 6000MaH 2S one. LHS don't have the JST HX adapter right now, but should have it Friday. I think they carry LiPo sacks, but if not I'll just order everything off of AMainHobbies. And yes, I know
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Edit:

So I know many of you are bummed about no pictures, so I got you all the next best thing. Phone pictures.

29epptw.jpg

Here's the new LiPo!

2regjyu.jpg

2d2b2fl.jpg

New rear tierod elims from Atomic. I used the 6mm OD shims from my previous update to shim these to get no slop. Told you I'd find a way to use them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back