Clutch Wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK1981

ChondroManiac
So how do you know when your clutch shoes are becoming too worn? The reason I ask is because my XL still can't wheelie for crap LOL! The thing is, it runs very fast and accelerates really good, it JUST WON'T WHEELIE. It used to, on occasion, but I was having tuning issues at the time so it didn't do it that often then either. Now I have the engine running better and I have the slipper tightened down. The only thing I can think is that the shoes aren't grabbing well enough to get the front off the ground. Will a truck run good and still be fast like mine if the shoes are starting to get worn down to the point where it won't wheelie? I would think with 16/52 gears these things would wheelie easy but I have heard numerous people saying theirs won't, what up with these things? Does the 5.9 just suck that bad? I don't want out of control wheelies but it would be nice to be able to do one every once and a while just for fun LOL.

So how do you know when your clutch shoes are becoming too worn? The reason I ask is because my XL still can't wheelie for crap LOL! The thing is, it runs very fast and accelerates really good, it JUST WON'T WHEELIE. It used to, on occasion, but I was having tuning issues at the time so it didn't do it that often then either. Now I have the engine running better and I have the slipper tightened down. The only thing I can think is that the shoes aren't grabbing well enough to get the front off the ground. Will a truck run good and still be fast like mine if the shoes are starting to get worn down to the point where it won't wheelie? I would think with 16/52 gears these things would wheelie easy but I have heard numerous people saying theirs won't, what up with these things? Does the 5.9 just suck that bad? I don't want out of control wheelies but it would be nice to be able to do one every once and a while just for fun LOL.

When I had mine stock I had to really tune it good and play with the tranny shift points to get it to go. Maybe the shoes are worn? :thinking:

I said that I have the slipper tightened down in the first post. I also wanted to mention that there is a little over 2.5 gallons on these clutch shoes. How often should they be replaced for best performance?

I think Robin made a good point to me the other night. Engine compression varries from engine to engine. Even if it is the same type of engine by the same company. That's why some people pop wheelies and others don't. If you have tuned the engine then maybe you have one that can't generate enough power to pop the wheels.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that I have always lengthened my truck to keep the wheels on the ground.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that I have always lengthened my truck to keep the wheels on the ground.

My 5.9 never had an issue to wheelie and the TVPs are extended which goes back to my above post. If your engine can generate the power your truck will wheelie especially with the gearing the XL has.

is the slipper pad worn?
2-1/2 gallons and that could be your problem! at least it will be a easy check.

have you replaced the spur? if so and you went smaller that will effect your wheele.. good luck and let us know

sorry i noticed you are running a 52 tooth spur! so you did replace it! one time i forgot to remove the plastic from the slipper pad this needs done so the pad will stick to the spur if not it will slip and you will not wheelie, but with a 52 you should have a hard time keeping it on the ground with a good tune

Last edited by a moderator:
I said that I have the slipper tightened down in the first post. I also wanted to mention that there is a little over 2.5 gallons on these clutch shoes. How often should they be replaced for best performance?

I get one gallon out of stock shoes & springs (carbon)

well imho clutch shoe wear really depends on you gear combo and what size tire your running and how you drive it a set can last a long time or last 1 tank of fuel because its all in the gears,driving surface,and tires.

eric....

If you are getting good throttle response from the truck when you ease on it, then I wiould say your clutches are engaging well. When I found out mine were shot, the truck would struggle to move at low speed but as I opened it up, then it would finally take off. As far as the XL wheelieing, I am not sure. I have seen them do it, but like the guys have said, it takes some playing around with setups to get it to do so.

I have the slipper really snug and the motor is getting good throttle response so I'm thinking it is the clutch shoes. Although they are working and the trucks still accelerates fast I think maybe they are just worn enough to prevent my wheelies. Crash said he gets one gallon out of his CF shoes. How often do the rest of you replace shoes or start noticing wear???

I kind of have the same question, for another truck I have. Is there anything physical you can check to see if the shoes are worn? I mean, would it be glazed on the edges or anything? And can the be reconditioned by scuffing up the end of the shoes, and the inside of the bell, or is it better to just get new shoes?

Lack of peformance is usually what I start to look for. When I pulled the aluminum set I had off my truck the grooves for the springs were worn completely down and the spring was part of the shoe. If you take your engine off fgor cleaning or anything, that is a good time to check for wear . I want to say I have had about 2 gallons on the set I just replaced.

well imho clutch shoe wear really depends on you gear combo and what size tire your running and how you drive it a set can last a long time or last 1 tank of fuel because its all in the gears,driving surface,and tires.

eric....

HPI NUBZS

47 spur
18 cb

axial 28

and I run mostly on street and grass (basher)

Latest posts

Members online

Back