Chevy 50's truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintage tone

HEy Everyone,
Here is the Chevy truck I ve almost finished. Trying paint out, I had issues with the Createx black not sticking to the mirror paint. Anyone had that issue before ? That kinda screwed up my pinstriping around the flames but nothing major.
I m not sure what i m going to do with the flatbed yet, Carbon fiber, Faux wood grain ?
It s a metalic blue with purple streaks and it goes from a dark purple to blue depending on how the light is hitting it .
Let me know what ya all think !
Chevy-.jpg

Chevy-2.jpg

Chevy-3.jpg

Chevy-Front.jpg

Masking the flames ready for the pinstriping !
Chevy-Masking.jpg

pain in the butt that is to do ... Half way thru ...
Chevy-Maskingpinstripe.jpg

Few more details :
Chevy-bed.jpg

Now what to do on the bed ? That Mirror chrome paint is really amazing. Wish i had that back in the day ! Worth every penny !
Chevy-flake.jpg

Chevy-grill.jpg

Hey Sad,
I had several people asking me if i d sell those, thing is they are not perfect to my standards since i m experimenting with paint and different masking tape etc but I guess I could sell em cheap to help buying more and keep practicing :)

there is an article in rc car magazine somewhere that shows how to do a wood bed look with paint and sponges....they painted up an old woody and it looked real sharp!!

hey Tex
yeah i was thinking the same but on the other hand it s a pretty pimped out 50's monster truck :p I ve been looking into nice realistic wood stickers that would look a lot better than faux wood grain on lexan isn t always great

Gluing a thin veneer is a great idea actually ! Slightly sanding the lexan with 1200 should work . Gunna look into that

hey Tex
yeah i was thinking the same but on the other hand it s a pretty pimped out 50's monster truck :p I ve been looking into nice realistic wood stickers that would look a lot better than faux wood grain on lexan isn t always great

Yes it is pretty pimped out, but for carbon fiber it would have to be more of a sport truck look. With that slick paint job I'd have to keep it simple with the wood. But it's your choice, your defently better at this than I am. Don't make me post any of my painting! :lmao:

yeah i wanted to keep it classic 50 s / Hot rod style so the carbon might look out of place . I m going to look into good faux wod techniques or glue a thin flexible veneer .

That looks great. Do you have any pictures of it all mounted?
Did you paint those flames freehand?

Hey Keith thanks a lot ! it s not perfect but I d get there, I can post details pictures of the next one if you want with all the steps.
I draw the flames on the outside then mask the inside, then i detail the inside of the flames free hand doinf shadows, gradients and so on .
On this one I also painted the chrome parts, that s a lot of extra work and masking to paint the trims, front grill, bumper etc but it does look a lot better and a lot more realistic than the stickers in my opinion so it s worth it

Thats would be great. I'm not a very good painter but I would love to try doing flames.
What kind of air brush do you use?

I was on a budget so i tried to get the best quality to price Airbrushes i could find. I went for two double action cheaper " Master" Airbrushes> I d PM you the link to the shop if you want, I m not sure it s allowed here. A decent compressor is a must tho or you will never get enough PSI to shoot the thicker paint.
Third one is the most basic single action airbrush with a larger nozzle so you can use it pretty much like a rattle can .
I think i m going to get a small Spray Gun Gravity fed so do the larger surface keeping a constant flow for see thru and candy paint. They re really cheap and available anywhere .
I m not totally happy about those double action airbrushes but i m used to high end ones. On the other hand they came all three with a compressor for less than 200, my high end Iwata alone was over 400 so ... Can t complain too much, they do great with very thin paint but tend to jam quickly if the paint is slightly too thick. Master is a decent brand tho and you can find nozzles and needles for them. if you can spend a lil much go for an entry lvl double action Iwata from the same place.

For wood, you can use and old technique; Use a ragged brush and very thin dark brown paint to brush in the darker grain, then use a thicker lighter brown as the backing color. Back in the 1800 and early 1900s they used to use a staining technique kinda like that to paint fine grain on cheaper woods.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back