Charging my savage xl 2015 model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savagexl59

Hey everyone new to the rc forms glad to be here,
Been around rc's from a kid
Have a hpi firestorm and a
Sprint 2 flux as well

Just bought my first hpi savage xl and I'm just curious about charging this thing it comes with a wall plug charger with a Futaba servo plug style, and the truck has a charge port on the electronics box cover so it's just a plug in and go it seems the book for the truck says 2.5hrs for a charge with the wall plug, but can I use a aftermarket rx charger (hanger 9) is the brand, with a digital volt gauge on it and monator it with that till 6volts or should I just use the wall plug that came with the truck and leave it alone ?

Thanks everyone
Brian

it is really your choice how to charge the RX pack, I remove mine and charge it separate all the time.....

@Savagexl59 I'm not familiar with Hanger 9 chargers but so long as it supports your battery type you should be just fine. I personally use a Hyperion EOS0606i to charge most all of my batteries except individual AA and AAA batteries which I use a La Crosse BC-700 charger (certainly recommend by the way).

Welcome to HPISF by the way! :)

If your wall charger is the same as mine, it has a removable extension. Use this with you intelligent (peak) charger. Plug this into the port on your truck, saves removing the battery. The adapter only fits one way, black wire to the right.

In regards to your 5 pack and a voltmeter, you should charge a 6.0V to about 7.2V. Same for the roto start battery, overcharge by 20%.

If anyone disagrees, please say so, I do not want to give incorrect information.

id get rid of that stock battery mine blew up while charging it one day . I got a life battery for 25 from the hobby shop . it last twice as long and the servos work stronger and better

I charge mine with a Turnigy Accucell 6 at 1/10th C 1600mAh at 1.6 Amps.

Features:
• Microprocessor controlled
• Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
• Individual cell balancing
• Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
• Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
• Large range of charge currents
• Store function, allows safe storage current
• Time limit function
• Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
• Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
• Battery break in and cycling.

Specs:
Input Voltage: 11~17v
Circuit Power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
NiMH/NiCd Cells: 1~15
LiIon/LiPoly Cells: 1~6
Pb battery Voltage: 2~20v
Weight: 355g

$22.99 at Hobbyking though they are backordered right now.

id get rid of that stock battery mine blew up while charging it one day . I got a life battery for 25 from the hobby shop . it last twice as long and the servos work stronger and better

well if the battery "blew up" you did something very wrong, I have 5 cell packs that are 10 years old and NEVER have a problem, just remember to charge them at or below the correct amp rate required, a 1200 mah battery for example should only be charged at 1.2 amps MAX... a 1600 mah battery should be charged at 1.6 amps MAX....
if these simple rules are followed your pack should last a long time and give good service.....

The Turnigy I use doesnt charge at constant current. I set 1.6 as the max. It also tells you how many mAh the battery has charged so it's easy to spot a dying pack.

I charge mine left in the truck just because i hate having to fight with the wires and such. I also allow mine to cool before i turn it on just for caution i think everyone has there own way and either ways work.

Latest posts

Members online

Back