Bullet proof 3 speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey D

Today i finished the bp 3 speed. Well kinda, still waitin on one gear to come in to replace the only plastic one. Got the how to from rcuniverse. Its a 3 speed trans, all metal with 2 gears from the 2 speed tranny. You Use the thicker idler gear out of the 2 speed trans an the thicker drive gear. It was super easy. If any one wants to know how, ill gladly explain.

Crap! Let me make the pic bigger.
ceff0aa1-0961-8873.jpg

ceff0aa1-b779-360d.jpg

You need the 2 speed idler gear an shaft. Pull it from the 2 speed, turn it around an install it in the tranny.
ceff0aa1-b7f3-6cf8.jpg

Then take the 2 speed drive gear an cut off the 1/4" or so piece that sticks out, then smooth it out flat.
ceff0aa1-b8d9-93c5.jpg
then turn it over an lightly smooth it out a little bit
ceff0aa1-b949-292b.jpg
then install.
Be sure to shim in these two places!
ceff0aa1-b97a-0d75.jpg
ceff0aa1-b984-f5ec.jpg
ceff0aa1-b9a6-c12d.jpg
this is what it should look like when inside the case!

Now if you want all metal gears, your gonna have to change out the only plastic gear in the 3 speed, the 44 tooth gear.
ceff0aa1-ba1e-fc00.jpg
i got mine off ebay for $23. Be sure you use loctite on the three phillips head screws that hold it to the one way bearing. They will come out if you don't, an make a mess of the gears!
Id like to state that i did NOT come up with this idea! I got the how to from llkoolskillet on rcu! Thats where the pics came from. I'm just trying to spread the knowledge!

Wow, i hope that helps. After reading my own info, i hope my wording is ok!

Nice write up, haven't seen anyone do an all metal trans. you should change the name from bullet proof to shrapnel bomb lol

awesome you pulled this off. Question whats the point of doing this? Do you get better or lower gear, quicker shift point thru the rpms, menaing able to pull like bullet on roids?. Hows the top end? What kind of distance does it take to get threw the all 3 gears and be WOT? I'm just curious is all. Great job

Just so its clear, i did not come up with this mod. The benifit is to replace the two thinnest gears that always break and replace them with way thicker ones!
These are the two that suck an always break under say a modded picco!
ceff0aa1-ccaa-4337.jpg

Not really any speed advantage unless you go with the high speed 3rd gear! This mod pretty much makes it indestructable under the stronger engines, to where a normal 3 speed would shatter!

Why is this mod a must for any 3spd owner??? Beacuse its bullet proof!!!

When I did that write up on RCU I was the first one to ever use the steel 1st gear. SV250 over on S-C came up with the idea of combining the two trannies, but he still runs the plastic gear. The link below is to the thread on RCU. You will see what happens when you leave the plastic 1st gear in. Total carnage. This mod can withstand my ABmods picco and ERCM picco. It can also withstand 6s brushless power!!! My two trannys that I built have 4 and 5 gallons thru them and they look brand new inside to this day.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10543396/tm.htm

Check it out is has everything you need to do the mod including all the part numbers.

Mad props Mikey D for gettin the word out!!!

I'm tryin man lol. I'm chevymanmike on rcu. I haven't got to try out the trans yet. Waitin on my motor.

Latest posts

Members online

Back