brushless conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

hello men,
If you were going to do a brushless conversion to a savy, what would you need to complete something like this. standard length chassis.
Also, what would be a good choice in motor size & batery's?
I have always been interested in a brushless savy. I may get one under way if its cheaper then a new flux.

Thanks guys
Danny

I'm pretty sure mtbikertim is or was atleast in the process of switching a savage to brushless hopefully he can help ya a bit!!!

I am not sure of exactly what all is needed but this is what I am thinking....

1) Motor
2) ESC
3) motor mount
4) battery trays
5) batteries
6) MONEY! (lol)

I am not sure of exactly what all is needed but this is what I am thinking....

1) Motor
2) ESC
3) motor mount
4) battery trays
5) batteries
6) MONEY! (lol)

Thanks guys

That gives me a start

do you guys have any idea what size motor you would need> I don't understand the rateings and what they mean.

wished i could help ya crash but i know nothing about the brushless setup!!

Yes it can......easily. You don't HAVE to get LiPo's and brushless but you can still get brushless and don't get lipos for under 1000.....heck even under 500

The flux mill and ESC is 350.00. (2000 and monster ecs ) and that truck will still need bats too... Build it!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVHA5&P=ML
csec6201.jpg

Here is a nice one

not available yet though

mm_logo.jpg

The Monster is finally here! Long rumored, occasionally seen at trade shows, Castle’s elusive 1/8th scale Monster Brushless ESC is finally available to the public. Castle has used all of their tricks to deliver stunning power for monster trucks and 1/8th buggy conversions.

The Monster handles up to 6S LiPo input (25.2 Volts MAX). It has a switching BEC circuit onboard to provide plenty of power for your receiver and servos. Don’t worry about the amp rating, nothing even comes close to the real world performance of the Castle controllers, and Monster is no exception. We’ve hit 60 mph with RC vehicles that have absolutely no business doing 60 mph. (And we were doing it in a 20 mph zone!)

Monster is designed to keep its cool while it pounds your truck. Castle refused to cut corners on the design or the components, the electronic and thermodynamic fundamentals are right to begin with. Castle then wrings a bit more power out by using a high efficiency heat sink PLUS an integrated cooling fan to make sure you finish the race. Thermals are for the other guys.

Mamba Monster ESCs come with huge 6.5mm gold plated bullet connectors for reliable power transfer and simple installation. We’ve even thrown in a Castle Link USB adapter so you can tame the Monster by adjusting the really useful settings using your Windows PC.

OK, so you’re asking, “What motor do I run it with, where’s the Castle motor for this thing?â€
They are on the way, honest! The long wait is nearly over. You don’t want to know how many prototype motors we’ve tortured in the testing of this Monster. The work has all paid off with these incredible motors. Based on Steve Neu’s awesome 15 series motor, the Neu-Castle 2200 and 2650 are works of mechanical art. They both feature high quality bearings and Neodymium magnets, superior electromagnetic design, and rigorous engineering control in our own factory result in a Monster motor we can put our name on.

We're offering two choices:
Neu-Castle 2650 KV – Intended for 4S (16.8 Volt) operation. Ideal for 1/8th conversions. The 2650 is 67mm long.
Neu-Castle 2200 KV – Intended for 6S (25.2 Volt) operation. Incredible in monster trucks with up to 6S LiPo packs. The 2200 is 75mm long. This is the bad boy!
Both motors come with a Neo rotor on a 5mm shaft as standard, not as an optional upgrade. Castle uses high end bearings for trouble free operation, and we’ve machined integrated cooling fins for that extra bit of power. These motors are 4 pole, slotted, brushless motors wound with 1 turn in a Y configuration.

When?

ORDER NOW! Mamba Monster/2200kv combos should be delivered in early December. Mamba Monster/2650 combos should be delivered in mid December.

Hey, a motor is a motor, right? What’s all the fuss? Who cares about a few points of efficiency?
Not all motors are created equal, efficiency matters a lot. Here’s a little math, we promise it won’t hurt. Say you are laying down 1,000 watts, (about 1 ¼ horsepower), and your motor is 70% efficient. That means you are turning 300 watts into heat. Ever grab a 300 watt light bulb?

Monster’s applications typically pull 4,000-5,000 watts (5 to 6 horsepower) under acceleration. The Neu Castle motors are some of the highest efficiency motors that we’ve ever tested; they are up to 85% efficient on our rig. The more common Asian motors tend to show in the mid to high 70’s. At those power levels, one single point equals about 50 watts of heat! You know that soldering iron on your workbench? It’s maxed out at 50 watts. That’s a lot of heat; now consider wasting several times that much heat inside your truck. Monster motors can therefore put out more power for longer periods than less efficient motors. Go ahead, run the motor you have on the shelf, we have a feeling you’ll find its limits pretty quickly.
It’s always better to simply reduce the heat generated in a system by better engineering than to try and cool things with fans and other gimmicks. Sure a fan can get you a few degrees, but you had better have a superior design to start with.

ProductMax Input VoltsAmp Rating*WeightRetail Price
Mamba Monster with Neu-Castle 2200kv Motor​

121g
$349.00
Mamba Monster with Neu-Castle 2650kv Motor
121g
$349.00​
*Full throttle continuous operation with cooling airflowConversion Kits? Did you say conversion kits?
Losi-kit.jpg
Yes, Castle will have conversion kits for the Kyosho 777, the Losi 8ight, and the Jammin buggies at a retail price of only $99.99. The conversion kits will include aluminum motor mounting plates, a servo mount and trick plastic battery bays capable of holding up to 4S LiPo setups. Wait ‘til you see the retaining snakes. Yeah, snakes.
These kits should be available in early 2009.

CC-Pinion-in-Package.jpg
Don’t forget the pinion!
Gotta have a way to get the power from the motor to the drivetrain. Sounds like the world’s supply of 5mm pinions evaporated once the Monster came out. We’ve got the following 5mm shaft pinions covered:
CC PINION - MOD-1: manufactured from titanium coated hardened steel. Most common use will be for the 1/8th scale conversions. Available in 11T, 13T, 15T, 17T, 19T, 21T, and 23T.

CC PINION - 32P: machined from aluminum and anodized Castle green. Most common uses will be for monster trucks. Available in 18T, 20T, 22T, 24T, 26T, and 28T.

We’ve made sure that these use the biggest Allen head set screw we could fit.
Pinions should be available in early 2009.
Power your Monster!
Probably going to need some batteries too. We don't sell batteries but we have some good buddies that do. Brian over at Tanic Packs can put together the perfect A123 pack for your EMAXX. 6S 2P A123 is what we use in our Monster EMAXX. Tons of power, incredible durability, quick recharge (only15 minutes!), and the safety of the A123 technology. Tanic Packs is also offering a great deal on a 4S A123 pack. Your monster truck should be a non-smoking zone, right?
Tanic Packs 6S 2P A123
mm-combos.jpg

Retail Price:Mamba Monster ESC: $199.00
Mamba Monster/2200kv combo: $349.00
Mamba Monster/2650kv combo: $349.00
Cells:18 NiCad/NiMH
6s LiPoContinuous:More than you can handle!Resistance:0.0003 ohms per phaseBrake:proportional with adjustable curveReversible:Yes - with lockoutLow Voltage Cutoff:programmableSize:ESC: 2.2" x 1.9" x 1.4"
Weight w/wires:ESC: 121gConnector Type:6.5mm bullet​
DELIVERY
Mamba Monster/2200kv Combos should be delivered in early December. Mamba Monster/2650 Combos should be delivered in mid December.
Choose a Package Mamba Monster ESC Mamba Monster/2200kv Combo Mamba Monster/2650kv Combo

Last edited by a moderator:
Crash- couple of option here. Kershaw designs makes a conversion kit for this. http://www.kershawdesigns.com/ for $69.00 then you need motor esc etc. which are also available from KD.
or... do what I did I got a Nice used savvy already with the KD conversion, Fiego 7XL and nice esc for $212 on ebay. Just need to add batteries and radio gear.
I think MTBiker is the best BL guy on the forum here. shoot him a PM? or contact Dan at kershaw and tell him Justin from No limit sent ya.
let us know how it works out. In any event, going with a savage vice an e-savage will save headaches down the road.

ya i thought mtbikertim would be a good choice for some advice......

The MMM v3 is the best ESC to use if you were to do one, and then something along the line of a NUE, align, or fiego motor (9xl or 10xl). If you go with the fiego motor I highly recommend a rc-monster heatsink clamp. Also this conversion kit. The biggest thing that I can't answer right now is what voltage to go with because with too much you can over rev a motor really quick so gearing will definitely come into play as well.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=FLM49000TFsavage&cat=41

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=mambamonsteresc&cat=21

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=KX860017TA&cat=20

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=BKWAND_XL&cat=20

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=RCM01

On another note Justin I would upgrade the 7xl in that truck you bought for at least a 9xl. I have seen guys burn up 7's in E-Maxx's which since its smaller and lighter should be able to use a smaller motor.

My ears are burning what's going on?

I'm going to straight off say it's probably just worth waiting for the Flux to come out. The MMMv3 and 2200kv motor combo you posted is exactly what is coming on the flux. The casing on the motor is just a bit different. You could easily convert one of your trucks using parts from the flux once the ebay chop shops get their hands on them.

The kershaw kit is probably a good way to go if you want it done a bit sooner and cheaper then a whole new truck. The 2200kv monster combo is shipping so one of those with some 2x2s LiPo packs or 2x3s packs if you want standing backflips.

I would upgrade the battery trays on the kershaw kit to the flux trays when they are available. The batteries have been known to be ejected from those trays.

Heyyy guys
I was looking at the brushless savvys on youtube lastnight and it got me thinking because I'm kinda over the constant work of nitro lol. So i have been looking into a Brushless motor and ESC I have found one i like but it runs a single 4cell LiPo (14.8V i think WOO lol) and i have heard alot of really good stories about the motor and ESC combo I'm not 100% sure but i know its a losi systemand i believe its a Xcelorin 2100Kv and with this you can run the 4c LiPo and i have been told its UNREAL and unlike some brushless it doesnt cog and all of this so i reckon this is the way I'm going to go and then get a 4c 5000Mah 25C LiPo and i reckon the batt will be around 200 and the brushless systen will be around 300 but that will be an unreal setup

i just found this wicked link to another guy who has done it and i reckon he made this for probabally around 300 max lol
RC Universe Savage X SS Brushless conversion
have a look he has also posted a video on page 3 i think
they are also saying you have to mix in the brake. I believe that if you open up the box you would be able to replace the oneway wit a bolt it would take some work to machine a new spindle and then drill a hole for a pin to lock the nut in place but i believe that it would work but i don't know. and i also hate the way he has mounted the batteries.
but all for your own just my .02
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO ITS AWSOME

Heyyy guys
I was looking at the brushless savvys on youtube lastnight and it got me thinking because I'm kinda over the constant work of nitro lol. So i have been looking into a Brushless motor and ESC I have found one i like but it runs a single 4cell LiPo (14.8V i think WOO lol) and i have heard alot of really good stories about the motor and ESC combo I'm not 100% sure but i know its a losi systemand i believe its a Xcelorin 2100Kv and with this you can run the 4c LiPo and i have been told its UNREAL and unlike some brushless it doesnt cog and all of this so i reckon this is the way I'm going to go and then get a 4c 5000Mah 25C LiPo and i reckon the batt will be around 200 and the brushless systen will be around 300 but that will be an unreal setup

Hey rex make sure you have a look at the MMM 2200kv combo as from what I have been told is that the losi motors are more like the 2650kv MMM motor which is a smaller motor. If that is the case the 2200kv MMM motor is the one to get for the heavier savage.

My ears are burning what's going on?

I'm going to straight off say it's probably just worth waiting for the Flux to come out. The MMMv3 and 2200kv motor combo you posted is exactly what is coming on the flux. The casing on the motor is just a bit different. You could easily convert one of your trucks using parts from the flux once the ebay chop shops get their hands on them.

The kershaw kit is probably a good way to go if you want it done a bit sooner and cheaper then a whole new truck. The 2200kv monster combo is shipping so one of those with some 2x2s LiPo packs or 2x3s packs if you want standing backflips.

I would upgrade the battery trays on the kershaw kit to the flux trays when they are available. The batteries have been known to be ejected from those trays.

if your ears were burning my friend its because i was suggesting to crash to speak to you about brushless systems as i was almost sure you knew alot about them!! lol lol

I agree with MTBiker. You will want the 2200kv system. The 2200 is 75mm long and the 2650 is 67mm long, both are like 38mm in diameter. The 2650 will put out more RPM/Volt but the 2200 will produce more power. So you should use something like the 2200 giving more power also allowing you to gear it up for speed and enough power.

IMO get the MMM 2200 Kit because it is computer programmable with the castle link software. This makes for much easier programming. They are also very easy and have lots of adjustments.

The Novak systems are great as well for the money but are all manual programming just a little pita to me. There are also lots of other great BL motors and ECS's out there.

Good luck and if ya got more questions don't hesitate to ask.

MrSnuggles is a BL guy he knows his stuff also. His hellfire and XL are both BL converts I think. MAMBA MONSTER sick !!!!! There's my $0.02 worth.

I just finished doing a brushless setup on a 8ight. I know its a buggy but it not that different. My first choices for motor would be a Novak 6.5T System, a Mamba Monster V3 with a Neu 1512, or a Mamba Monster V3 with the 2200kv Motor. Me personally, and friends of mine have had great luck with these setups. If money is no option without a doubt go with a Plettenberg BigMAXXimum. It's a $600 dollar ESC and Motor Combo, but without a doubt is the biggest monster I have ever seen. My manager at our hobby shop is using this setup and took first place in Alberta and second in Canada with the Motor at 75% power.

For a battery I would go with anything made by TrakPower. Mostly everyone I know is using there battery and they seem to be able to handle the most abuse for a Li-po and seem to handle the most amps of draw for the price.

Just make sure what ever battery you get can handle the draw of power needed for you motor. For example, my Venom 4600mah 3s LiPo doesn't have enough draw amps to keep the thing a full throttle for over 7 seconds. I don't remember off hand but I think it only has 20 amps and I needs at least 30.

Thats my opinion.
-Shawn

I just finished doing a brushless setup on a 8ight. I know its a buggy but it not that different. My first choices for motor would be a Novak 6.5T System, a Mamba Monster V3 with a Neu 1512, or a Mamba Monster V3 with the 2200kv Motor. Me personally, and friends of mine have had great luck with these setups. If money is no option without a doubt go with a Plettenberg BigMAXXimum. It's a $600 dollar ESC and Motor Combo, but without a doubt is the biggest monster I have ever seen. My manager at our hobby shop is using this setup and took first place in Alberta and second in Canada with the Motor at 75% power.

For a battery I would go with anything made by TrakPower. Mostly everyone I know is using there battery and they seem to be able to handle the most abuse for a Li-po and seem to handle the most amps of draw for the price.

Just make sure what ever battery you get can handle the draw of power needed for you motor. For example, my Venom 4600mah 3s LiPo doesn't have enough draw amps to keep the thing a full throttle for over 7 seconds. I don't remember off hand but I think it only has 20 amps and I needs at least 30.

Thats my opinion.
-Shawn

Agreed, cheap batteries are a big no-no. I just converted my 8T to 2.0 with the Mamba Max 2200 kit. At 3S it's already too fast. Borrowed a 5S LiPo and it was just stupid.

How far are you with this Danny?

thanks men

alot of great info

My brushless project is still in dream stage

Latest posts

Members online

Back