Break In, k5.9 engine temp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageKid93

What up everyone,
I'm breaking in my XL savage, on the first tank of static break in the temp hit around 120 F max. I had read and saw video where they say 200 is a good temp. If I raise my idle speed my weeks start turning. So my quesion, is what should I do with my idle, let it be or increase?

Thanks!!

Nitro :ercm: needs to get above 200 degrees to even start to wear in properly..... you may have to lean the high speed needle a bit (turn clockwise about 1/8 a turn) to get it there but even then is going to take at least 3 tanks to start getting it tuned in,I usually drive my new engines around for a couple of tanks while not giving it full throttle....also when you shut if off between running it put the piston at Bottom Dead Center to keep it from seizing in the sleeve and damaging you new toy.....

So three additional tanks after first attempt? I'm running byron 30%, also read that was good. Better performance and it runs cooler.

So three additional tanks after first attempt? I'm running byron 30%, also read that was good. Better performance and it runs cooler.

Byrons is good fuel but 30% will make more heat not less :D that's not a bad thing at all if that's what you want. personally I run Sidewinder 20% basher blend and have excellent luck with it...

and yes 3 or more tanks will be a good start on breakin for the engine, but be aware it may take a whole gallon or more to be completely broken in and ready for a full tune to get maximum performance from it.....

Nitro :ercm: needs to get above 200 degrees to even start to wear in properly..... you may have to lean the high speed needle a bit (turn clockwise about 1/8 a turn) to get it there but even then is going to take at least 3 tanks to start getting it tuned in,I usually drive my new engines around for a couple of tanks while not giving it full throttle....also when you shut if off between running it put the piston at Bottom Dead Center to keep it from seizing in the sleeve and damaging you new toy.....

Hey so I went to try leaning the mixture out a bit, but the truck has a difficult time even turning over. It almost acts seized but turns over fine with no glow plug in. I made sure the roto start was charged and replaced the battery for the glow starter. Any ideas?

Sounds like it is flooded with fuel to me. you can pull the glow plug and turn it over a few times to clear some of it out while holding the truck upside down, then reinstall the plug and try firing it up again....

Sounds like it is flooded with fuel to me. you can pull the glow plug and turn it over a few times to clear some of it out while holding the truck upside down, then reinstall the plug and try firing it up again....

Upside down you say? Ok I'll give that a try later one!

The upside down part is strictly to get the excess fuel out of the engine, you will need to set it back the right way to start it.

Yes this is true, guess maybe I should have made that point clear also..... :DOH:

Yea I know that at least lol. So I finally had some time to try and get it going right again, but honestly forgot where I had left the HS needle. If I remember I had it a full turn, clockwise, and the temp hit 144.5 max! Idle is still just believe wheels spinning. If I wanted to set the HS needle flush and restart, does that mean flush to te inside wall or just all the way backed out?

Yea I know that at least lol. So I finally had some time to try and get it going right again, but honestly forgot where I had left the HS needle. If I remember I had it a full turn, clockwise, and the temp hit 144.5 max! Idle is still just believe wheels spinning. If I wanted to set the HS needle flush and restart, does that mean flush to te inside wall or just all the way backed out?

Look in the manual it will tell you what break in settings are for the :ercm: I don't recommend straying too far from those settings at first....

K5.9
HSN: Flush with groove
LSN: Flush with case
IDEL: 1 mm

HPI also recommends not to adjust the mid range needle.

if your struggling to get your engine to 200 + for the break in then i suggest you cover the head in tinfoil, that will help :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back