Brake Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

I have a slight issue with my brakes. They do nothing, i understand that you ajust them to be harder by turning the black knob on the steering rod clockwise. I did this and had to do it so far for them to be affective that it would have them on at neutral. Which is wrong. So i ajusted them more and they barelly do anything. Should i get better brakes if so what would be better. Or is it not ment to be abl to stop quickly. I was just concerned if some one appeared in the way or maybe a tree. my friends truck stopps a little quicker that mine. Also is it hard on the spur gear so stop fast.
Thanks...

first step would be to do the throttle/brake mod, using the ofna linkage kit... then u could do either the HPI dual disk hop up or get a stronger servo... but the first thing u should do is the throttle/brake mod... it helps so much

well anywayz good luck with it

my friend has an x, only like half a year old at most and it doesnt have dual disks, well it does now lol but i mean it wasnt standard... but yeh
step 1 : ofna linkage mod
step 2 : HPI dual steel disk hop up
step 3 : stronger servo...

its done in that order by cost lol... i have some friends who found they got better braking with the stock brake set up and a stronger servo with the throttle mod...

the single disk set up consists of 2 different materials ones metal (brake pads) and the other is some sort of composite (disk) material so they grip well... ive heard that with a bit of heat the dual disks actually start to fade, not wear but fade, because the disk and pads are both metal so the frictional coeffictient is quite low... the old disk brake wears over time, but the fact that it wears means it actually grips well...

not sure if u guys will get it but it makes sense to me :cool:

i shall try the linkage mod first and then move to a better servo. The stock brakes are not doing anything.

its not that the stock brakes don't do anything its just that the stock servo isnt strong enough to engage them properly lol... also with the throttle mod u get better braking... the stock servo set up ( the dual black thing ) the design of it isnt all that great... the easiest mod i can tell u is a mod i did myself, it doesnt fix it but it improves the braking a lot considering its free and takes like 2 seconds...

i made a thread on it.. here

Out of respect to other RC Entusiast Websites, we don't allowing linking to them unless approved prior to doing so....The link you provided is a site that in the past had made a direct request to our staff about it....Sorry. Great article though. Could you Copy and paste the contents here?

ok... sorry lol...

first take the throttle set up off the car
DSC02212.jpg

then take it apart, into the 3 peices...
StockServoSaverExploded.jpg

then take the metal ring and plyers and just stretch it a little... just enough so that if fits over the plastic part without having to stretch it.... this way it stays on yet doesnt require as much effort to move...
DSC02216.jpg

DSC02218.jpg

if u needed u can stretch it a bit more, although once its over the size of the plastic thing it starts to become a bit unstable... just wobbly, but other than that go for it... i have it set up so the car stops nicely yet not too strong so that the car flips brakes the body, front diffs and scratches the heatsink... well thats just what i found if u also have your slight mod post it fun to see :p i don't mean like a throttle mod kit, more like homemade/ cheap versions...

Last edited by a moderator:
My servo doesn't go into the nuetral position like it says in the book or like in probers pics in the post above, it is about 1 cm off. Any idea how to fix that?
Aslo from the pics, I put some fuel line between the spring and screw, but I see that prober replaces the spring completely. Which is best?

i have to tighten up the screws that hold the calipers,as they tend to back out. and it reduces the amount of fade after a lil use

Latest posts

Members online

Back