BL Build From Scratch - What's the Best Donor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what your looking at... Thought i would give my 2 cents...

HPI XL conversion: - Get this if you want... but i would definitely get the FLM XL/GCM XL chassis as its much stronger.
HPI suspension conversion: AMAZING EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE THIS
HPI bulletproof dif gears (2): obviously
Xerun/kershaw 9XL BL combo - If you want to build a big truck, i would go against this, considering kershaw just rebrand there motors. This is absolute rubbish IMO... You should go with castle... Depending on how big and heavy your truck will be... you should get an MMM with 1600-1800kv motor... You would have a nice torquey, more efficient motor for your needs.
Hobbywing programming box:
Kershaw Savage XL BL motor mount: Get a stock mount
Kershaw savage V2 battery box (2): get the stock batter boxes... but if you get my chassis, then you can put lipos inside
SPI racing wheels: I RATE THESE WHEELS HIGHLY
PL badlands (2): AMAZING COMBO WITH THE SPI... RIDICULOUS GRIP! just tape them properly before
HPI idler: Depending on what speed you are going for and what motor you choose, you can get this or the 39t idler.
HPI 16t pinion: don't use HPI Pinion, weak stuff... go with Novak pinions (stock is good with shorter chassis, longer chassis means more stress on gears as the front stays down more easily, so you will be ont he throttle harder)
Hitec 7955TG servo: I want one as i think its the daddy.. but i love my ace ds1015

Just my feelings... Dan at kershaw.. did offer me that motor and their new ESC which can supposedly handle 10s... then i found out they are rebranded Hong Kong stuff and i thought i would want reliability in this area.... Last thing i need are things blowing up on me

Big thanks Josh for your input. After reading your build thread, I'm definitely going with the DB17. Because I'm starting with a nitro roller and don't have the flux motor mounting plate, I'm going to give the kershaw mount a try. I may have to drill some holes in the DB17 plates for it, but that's within my capability, and it's only $20 if it can't fit. I have an email in to Dan at kershaw with some questions about his feigao 580L motor - specifically if it will work with the mount and what his warranty terms are for it. It's a lot cheaper than the neu motors, and he claims it's more powerful as well. He sells both, so he doesn't really have cause to be dishonest about it. Added a few other bits and pieces, and unfortunately, the RSC would put me over my initial budget. I'd very much like to add it later, but I'll have to make due with the stock suspension for now. I just hope it can handle the SPI wheels and the axle extensions...

Final build list, assuming Dan tells me what I want to hear:

• DesertBoy 17 TVPs, battery tray and skidplate
  • Kershaw motor mount
  • Mamba Monster ESC
  • Castle USB link (it's a crime this isn't included with the ESC)
  • Feigao 580L 1649KV motor + heatsink/fan
  • HD slipper plate and spring kit (correct for the stock tranny?)
  • Bulletproof dif kit (2)
  • HPI sway bars
  • HPI HD wide axles (2)
  • Hitec 7955TG servo
  • PL badlands (2)
  • SPI Pro-stock basher rims
  • Novak mod1 pinion 3-pack (15t, 16t, 17t)
  • HPI Gigante body

All parts ordered. Added a pair of 6s 40c lipos from HK as well. Haven't blown that much money in one evening on the internet in a while. :)

I'll start a fresh thread once everything arrives and I'm ready to do***ent the build. Thanks again to everybody who gave me suggestions, whether I listened to you or not.

Seriously. I did listen to you and got rid of a lot of the aluminum parts I was originally looking at. If anybody made a XXL set of TVPs, I would have gone with them (if they weren't insanely expenisve). But for what I wanted to do, the aluminum kit was the best option.

...is what I meant to say. How many posts before I'm allowed an edit button?

Current setup, never... Some people like to delete things they should not. There is always staff online just holla in the shout for one they will edit anything you need.

If you had asked I would have told you that PRC (Jason) works with the guy that makes the DB-17. He can make it in carbon. He would have done it for me but I wanted to change the design caz I think DB-17 is ugly and he said no To Jason on my request. Why I have XL carbon now.. Jay made me the first set to try. But an exact copy PRC could do. After the pencil comment in the shout I figured you wanted to haggle comments, so I stayed out of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back