Bird's "X" mid tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad67bird

ok guys here we go:

i started with my savage terror x
a100.jpg
after gutting the electronics i found that the flm servo plate was not gonna clear the tranny case.....
a100a.jpg
side view shows i need about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch to clear
a100b.jpg
at this time i also found a trashed spur gear....bashin the country finished it off
a100c.jpg
ok here is my modded plate...may have cut to much
a100d.jpg
fits perfect
a100e.jpg
now i had to drill a new hole to the top left of the "x" and open up the hole to the top right of the "x"
a100f.jpg
now i got the steering servo mounted,but its gonna change..allan reminded me of the way judge mounted his,so i gotta order some more mounts
a100g.jpg
under side pic of the servo arm
a100h.jpg

got the linkage bent into shape and ill test ti when i get it done
a100j.jpg
got the hpi rush battery box mounted and ive got a cable extension depending on where i put the receiver box
a100k.jpg

a100l.jpg

100_2999.jpg

so thats what ive done so far,now i need some fundage to buy the rest of what i need

Last edited by a moderator:
LMK if that rear servo moves. I did the same build but used a plate on the rear. Also in its stock form that servo arm that was for the brake will snap during use. I also did that lol... I reinforced another one with zip ties and CA it held till I went alloy with it.

Anything is better than losing the horn at WOT...

glad i could help squirrel...now for an update:

order from SMF store:

flm servo mounts,spur gear and the new duel disc setup (which is on backorder,i didnt pay attention) so thanx doesgo for letting me know

off the bay coming from rchobby4less:

reciver box

gas tank will be coming soon and i can get back at it......the first thing I'm gonna do is relocate the steering servo to be 100% below the flm plate so i can use the bigger tank 250 cc (will run for 2 weeks on one tank :hardlaugh: j/k)...thanx AllanQ and Judge.

To add to maxpowers post you can also get that plate in CF off larsonracing I have one from him. Good fit, good looks and light...

ok i got the SMF parts and went to work on the steering, i moved the servo to the left side of the plate after i drilled two new holes and it works much better:
servo.jpg

now i suggest puting the horn close to the fron or opposite from how i have it above,this will shorten the arm from the horn to the linkage
100_3007.jpg
it fits real close to the dog but clears it and yes i know the servo horn screw is out...lol
100_3011.jpg
and yes i remembered to put the front dog back in .....:lmao:

Ive done the dog bone deal! Don't that suck ... lol How close to the bone to the bolt in the horn? Just wondering the pic makes it look contact close...

ok here is the radio box i went with: XTM 149871

149871.jpg

on ebay it came with a batteyr box,aluminum antenna holder and on off switch $5 with shipping
100_3015.jpg

100_3018.jpg

now i cut about 1/2 inch out the box height and super glued the bottom back on
100_3019.jpg

i also had to remove two of the mounting ears and one od the ears for the reverse mod on the tranny (ill add pic soon)
100_3021.jpg

drillrd a hole thru the lower part of x and top of box to mount,used an existing hole on the other to mount that side

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet build. be sure to include some pics of the radiobox mounted up when your build is complete. i did mugen/cenbox mod on an flm plate, but also have a 250cc tank at home & am thinking about adding it over the winter to extend run time.
like bank said, be sure to check out the carbon fiber servo plate from larsonracing. it is very reasonably priced & from what i have heard, comes with the hardware making for an easy (bolt -in) mod.
cool build, thanks for sharing

well being that i have stuck with the stock "X" tvps i don't think that plate will help but ive come up with an idea i think will work......the book :thinking:

ok guys heres more:

100_3025.jpg

had to make a tank holder for the front
100_3026.jpg

opps had to chop it above and heres the battery box below
100_3027.jpg

front of the tank mounted
100_3028.jpg

close up
100_3030.jpg

this is how it will sit
100_3031.jpg

very tight fit indeed
100_3032.jpg

new spur gear and fiberglass shoes
100_3033.jpg

bottom shot of the receiver box mounted,i cut it a little short
100_3036.jpg

side view of box and i made a place for the switch,opps i tightened the plate screws too much
100_3037.jpg

gonna be really close to the muffler,but it wont be an issue
100_3039.jpg

ya the tank sits sideways and the switch is a tight fit but its in there...
100_3040.jpg

Have you tested the steering? I see you cut and dropped the servo plate. Its proper angle to the bell crank is above the tranny. So If you crank down the top two bell crank screws and experience binding it is the angle its at and the side load on the bearings. Hope it does not affect you! I love seeing people think outside the box. Good stuff my man! + rep

thanx justin ...... as far as the sterring goes,it works great !!!!! the only issue was on the spectrum transmitter being set wrong. i can finally take advantage of my steering mod now.:resp:

last pics for awhile,missing one linkage piece and then i can finish and clean:

100_3034.jpg

steering servo
100_3035.jpg

throttle servo and mount
100_3038.jpg

100_3041.jpg

100_3042.jpg

throttle linkage is giving me fits (cause I'm missing a piece) so i have quit for now.may work on it again in a couple of days.....wife has honey do's for me...:lmao:

yeah i know it needs to be cleaned,when I'm done ill clean it ,then get it all dirty again muhahahahahahahahahahahaha

ok guys worked a little on the throttle/brake servo setup.......i get full lock up on brakes and WOT on the carb......I'm happy

100_3047.jpg

works great with the aid of some du bro air plane parts:lmao:

ok heres the latest:
full completed shot,just needs the wheels and lid put on
100_3057.jpg

close up of the switch,electronics wont be an issue with pipe at all
100_3058.jpg

fuel hose ran and nutin is restricted
100_3059.jpg

gonna throw some fuel in it,charge the battery and hope fully test her out sunday.

that exhaust being bent down isnt going to have an issue with the gasket at the exhaust port on the engine is it? it seems to be a little bit out of square.

let us know how it does. i might get motivated now to get mine done the rest of the way.

:resp:

now that does raise a question,but it ran like that before so we will see.....

the tank is actually close to stock height, although its almost 2x as big. this should help keep the front end down and increase steering grip in corners. at least it did with my 125cc tank i used.

Latest posts

Members online

Back