Bigger wheels ? slower ? more stress to diff ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vios8820

hai everyone here...

i have something regarding wheels wanna ask u guy Savage expert...

i suck the middle of choosing rim that make alot of headace..

my question is does the bigger rim and tyre really bring MORE stress on my gear diff ??

this is what i buy from my friends

68 x 45 x 25 izzzit tooo big for my savage ? i wanna install it for basing sesson and erm ... i just get set of losi 1/8 truggy wheels that is for racin use..

also it weight about this ~~ check the picture below

erm.. my main problem is i worry about too big and bring tooo MUCH stress to gear diff.. btw i already mod to alloy diffcup and casing.. hope the rim saiz is not a issue for me... also will not slow it down...
please correct me if i am wrong.. .

or i better change the wheels as smaller / as lighter as possible ?

FYI i use F4.6 engine ~ just newly break-in :D hope it will not slow my car down also break my diff ~~

Anyreply in this would be appricated .

thx again thousand thx !!! and THX and THX !!!

:FarleyParty: :FarleyParty: :FarleyParty: :FarleyParty: :FarleyParty:

yes,

the physics invovled in spinnning and stopping a heavier wheel and tire setup will put more stress on your truck parts

so from the spec the wheels that i mention will it be tooo OVersaiz to my truck ?

plz advice... reallly really need to know i worry about it ~~

anyreply would be highly appricated it ...

its alot like a train the heavier or the bigger you make something the more it takes too slow down. bumps and jumps with the bigger wheels will tear stuff up

Two points:

A heavier wheel will take more force to start to move and slow than a lighter one. Simple Physics.
A heavier wheel will carry more inertia, meaning it will roll further once up to speed than a lighter one, but this does not account for tyre drag, a wider bigger tyre will drag more.

Unsprung weight-Think of the spring absorbing the bump force from the wheel, the uprights, the lower and upper A arms, the shock rod and piston (basically-everything that moves when the wheel is subjected to a bump.) With heavier wheel, this will mean the spring will have more unsprung weight to deal with on the bound stroke, also on the Rebound stroke (wheel moving down, back towards the ground) there is more 'weight' trying to pull on the piston, so a heavier shock weight oil may be needed.

As you have upgraded to ally diff cases, this IMO will add stress to the diff gears (4 bevel, if not already!) and the diff case, and all the driveline all the way back to the motor. The clutch will get hotter due to it slipping more so a vented CB wold be recomended.

I'd just put a set of 40 series rims and bow ties on bud.

ya i agree with everyone i wouldnt go much larger then the 40 series or maybe some of the 7 inch tires like the hpi goliath and the cen tires as alot are running them and like them but i have no experience with them myself......

I run the CEN GST 7.7 wheels/tyres. They are pretty heavy, but the tyres are low profile, so the amount of rubber is kept minimal. The tyres you have chosen are very big, and rubber is very heavy. According to your scales, those wheels/tyres are adding approx 1.76 KG (3.8 lbs) to your truck,............WOW !!!! I'm sure when I weighed the GST wheels, they were only 1.5lbs. So IMO if you want to run BIG wheels/tyres, get GSTs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back