Best Performance Spur Gear and Clutch Bell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not so much that they cut down on heat, xxz, it's more like thier a brand new and compatible start to getting your issues behind you.

Other CB/spurs combo's will work, also, but this purticular combo is a good starting point for problem free opperation.
The mesh is key and should not be under estimated here.

I think I've pushed that point enough already.

I just hope its taken seriously. There's always the posibillity that there's another cause to these things,

but I'm pretty sure that this is the objective. Getting a proper mesh. I hope I'm helping here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are helping alot, but the thing is I have already tried a number of different meshes and the concern is still present. CB gear wear seems to be the most likely thing at this point, possibly that bearing too...

Thank you. I do understand the potential for frustration with this part of the truck's function.
After seeing the pic of the spur's alignment, I would say that this, in it self, can be the cause of these issues.

Trying different meshes is all one can do if there's any confusion about the correct mesh. That's not your fault.
It's just a matter of discovering and implementing the propper mesh.
Just know that we've already cured some related concerns and were on the way to success.

Come to think of it, I now remember that Ofna sells a misc. assortment bag of washers, shims, and spacers that are perfect for the clutchbell area.
I resently had to buy a couple of these bags to shim the CB's end bolt on my OS engine. If your using a the original engine that the truck came with, HPI should have whats needed.

Anyway, these shims are cool if there's a needed adjustment. Especially when shimming out that far of a distance as you may have too.
You see, after you've got the CB shimmed out, you'll need to be able to tighten the end bolt of the crankshaft without putting pressure on the brass bushing.

This bag of shims has the perfect part for that.
It may requier some sizing down with some sandpaper to perfection, but its a great fix if needed.
If I can find the p/n for this bag of shims, I'll try and post it for you, xxz28xx.

Hopefully, your LHS guy can see the obvious need your facing and help you with getting Ofna products.
Ofna is not the only company that sells shims ,spacers, and washers. You might do well in locating them yourself, for that matter.

I know these little details must be a pain in the a$$ to deal with for you, but just hang in there bud, and it will get resolved.

Looking at the pictures of the bearings,I would definately say that the problem is heat related. They look discoloured from heat and looks like some scuffing on the inside of the one. The heat is probably being transfered directly from your clutch bell. The heat build up from your clutch shoes slipping will be huge, the clutch bells are only very thin so will heat up in a second. Also if the bearings are binding at all, even slightly, they will also generate a lot of heat in a short space of time. You have to remember that if the bearings are not in perfect order, then they will start to slip on the crank shaft and in the clutch bell. If there's any dought that either of the CB bearings is not 100%, then replace it ! I don't mess around with my CB bearings at all, I just check them often and replace them when they sound a bit noisy. If I was you I would get a new clutch bell and two new bearings. When you fit the bearings degrease the outsides and apply a very small amount of bearing retainer to the holes in the CB. This will stop any slipping on the outer bearing surface and cut down friction etc. The gear mesh will be fine as long as there's a small amount of play (a piece of paper is plenty) all the way around the spur gear. I have found that they don't run very true, especialy if you tighten the clutch right up. If that fails then look at changing or upgrading your shoes. I have changed mine to Nova shoes on recommendation from members of this site, although I've not tried em yet cus the weather in the UK sucks !

Well I went to the LHS today and got 2 new CB bearings, a HPI 16T Racing Vented CB, new spring/washer/nut/bushing for the Spur, and a 52T regular plastic spur. Set the mesh by ear according to what DOOBEE was saying and by what I felt on the new Savage X at the LHS. AND BASHED THE SH!T OUT OF IT!!! Only had time to run 3 tanks thru it, but the gears held up great. She was runnin at about 248* and running strong. Play time ended when I did one too many bad landings/cartwheels and popped a shock. But other than that, it's back and ready to be bashed. Thanks for your help guys, it's always good to have some input on things that ya just cant figure out. Oh yeah, another thing, with a 52/16 combo, I noticed that when I set the mesh, the engine was pushed all the way up against the frame. Made it pretty easy, all I have to do with a 52/16 combo is slide the engine all the way to one side and bolt it up.

That's GREAT, xxz28xx.
I'm glad it all worked out on the this one for you.

Best wishes to your revived ride, bro.
Now get back out there and break something...lol.

Except the truck, of course.
Later

Latest posts

Members online

Back