best fuel for savage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n300ant

could anyone please advise me on the best fuel to buy for savage 25 with big block engine? just bought it not been used think he said used 20%

I use 30% on my .28 lrp mill. Ithink most guys run 30% in big blocks. You can use 20% IT will not hurt the mill my decrease performance. Whatever you start with I would try to stick with.Good Luck!

i run morgans 20% backyard basher in mine"only brand nearby" and haven't had any problems,but there is better fuel out there,alot use odonnell's and other brands..

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 30% on my .28 lrp mill. Ithink most guys run 30% in big blocks. You can use 20% IT will not hurt the mill my decrease performance. Whatever you start with I would try to stick with.Good Luck!
it is second hand should i stick to 20% then if thats what he has used before or can i change without a problem?

You can change up to 30%. I did it before,you just have to be sure and tune accordingly. It probably will not be much.But I would run for a while with the 20%, to be sure the mill is good the way you got it. Then switch if thats what you are going to do.Good luck.

anything thing by Byron's. they make awesome fuels and you don't need after run oil. i've tried it all...sidewinder...blue thunder......nitrotane........odonnells.....traxxas....and NOTHING is as easy to tune and helps hold that tune like byrons. now...i won't run anything else. it's also recommmended by Picco and ERCM Piccos love it!!!

a hobby shop owner nearby swears on wildcat eliminator but i've never used it myself so don't know......

I'm using odonnell 30% only thing my lhs has, other than traxxas but they didn't have the 30% just 33%. so i went with the odonnell, hope to break in my engine soon.

As previously mentioned, Byrons 30% or sidewinder race blend (30%). Both are great fuels to use. There is not a problem changing feul %'s around. It will require a retune of the motor. If you jump up to 30% and you are using a hot plug, you may want to go down to a med or a med hot plug.

Never heard of it. I say run byron's with a mc8 plug. Only plug I buy. well I use the mc59 for the first tank when breaking in a new motor but other than that mc8.

Never heard of it. I say run byron's with a mc8 plug. Only plug I buy. well I use the mc59 for the first tank when breaking in a new motor but other than that mc8.
cool completely new to this mc8 plug what byrons you use? 25% 30%?

From what I've heard I'd go with bryrons. Unfortunatly my LHS doesn't carry bryons :cussing:so I buy Sidewinder 30% instead.

i run bryrons 30% in my LRP and i used it with my K5.9

a hobby shop owner nearby swears on wildcat eliminator but i've never used it myself so don't know......
i have ran that when i was in izmir on vacation with my mom and for some reason when ever i run wild cat my motor gets extremely hot so i always have to run it on the rich side so i cant recommend that ( i ran a gallon of it and hated every min of running it was horrible to tune to )

local model shop sells byrons so i will give that a whirl how do you distinguish what temp glow plug you should use?

You need to try them for yourself IMO. Many people here swear by the Mcoy MC-8 but I tried it in my k5.9 and it ran like crap. Maybe in some of the other mills it would work well or maybe it was because of different climate/altitude, but no matter how rich I ran it, it would cackle like it was lean even though it was under 180 degrees. Couldn't even get it up to temp and it still acted like it was lean. I changed to the MC-9 cold plug and it solved the problem. Runs way better just from a slight change in plug. BTW I run Sidewinder 30% nitro, 10% oil. I would like to try Byrons just for the heck of it but the LHS doesn't carry it. I see no real reason to change what I'm using. I have a Super Nitro RS4 with the stock .15 in it. I have had it for about 7 years, bought it new. Never once ran ARO in it and that motor still runs like a champ, and it was always stored in the garage until recently. I attribute this to using the Sidewinder fuels.

thanks for the advice I'm sure i'l get to grips with it after time, surpose the worst thing is not knowing how it should run i'm just gonna take mytime and follow the advice i keep gaining from here..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back