Best engine thread!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awya14

so Ive been searchin and reading ,
Ive done as much reasearch as I can,fact is everybody thinks differently about different motors
and I want the best 1 for my savage
so far its a toss up between
Ofna .32 $175 shipped cad
STS.30 $160 shipped cad
Axail .28 $175 cad local
I'm seconds from just buying the ofna cuz I'm like that ..big bad motor ..just makes sense!
Ive heard and had 1st hand probs with the Axial
the STS are built poorly ,
Ofna ,crank probs and under powered
OS , pricey but good ,
No matter what I buy I'm sure with my luck/how hard I beat my savy it wont last long..
I think a thread with listings of all probs and tricks to keep all motors in tip top shape is needed
If I had read the Axial had needle O-ring probs I may not have gone through what I have .

never heard of it..gonna search it now
and after the .32 axial (not) thread I didnt mean to beat this topic to death ,
just wanted to start a informative thread on what to watch for
and certain symtoms that could help avoid damageing motors

trust me you will be happy THEY WARRENY THERE ENGIENS FOR 90 days
I have had one for like 1 year and a half, and Steven at racer edge is still hooking up free parts can't beat the customer service

so far the ofna is the cheapest .32 I can find .."hopmeup" on ebay
$60-$120 cheaper then the Surefire-"OS"

trust me you will be happy THEY WARRENY THERE ENGIENS FOR 90 days
I have had one for like 1 year and a half, and Steven at racer edge is still hooking up free parts can't beat the customer service

ya ,but are you a racer? I'm just some guy who beats his savage to death,
they don't take us as serious

Dude you must not know me man I am only a basher, ask anyone one here, that knows me (thats everyone really)
the surefire is a BASHER MOTOR trust me bro, very easy to tune will run all day long, the os is over priced and its worth the money you can get better for less.. thats my opion

keep looking you can get the sf for like 160 to 170

and I don't see a pull start for the surefire?
maybe they just didnt show it or state it in the add

mine is a pullstart thats the norm for this mill I HATE ROTO !

Dude you must not know me man I am only a basher, ask anyone one here, that knows me (thats everyone really)
the surefire is a BASHER MOTOR trust me bro, very easy to tune will run all day long, the os is over priced and its worth the money you can get better for less.. thats my opion

keep looking you can get the sf for like 160 to 170
O I'm lookin..been searchin for 3 hrs now..
just found some more..
and I don't doubt your bashfulness..I just bash till I break something..
if it takes all day..so be it...lol
3 motor plates,8 broken shocks(shafts),13 dogbones,6 bodies,cracked 3 wheels,only 1 motor,3 diff's (pinion and spur) ummm..5 steering knuckles ,2 servos and 2 axial pullstarts and plenty of broken/re-bent spings

man o man .yahoo search ,found 10-15 different forums ..all sayin the same thing..not much difference from the .28

I'm done for tonight ..I'm gonna wait till tomarrow ..
Its now a toss up between the surefire and the ofna
thanks jester

all engines have a weak point. I have had the sure fire the sts and a few others. can't race a .32 also. not roar legal. I love my sts and loved my sure fire. read the engine x dino that might help also. just remember about threads people will push what they like or heard someone else say was great and flame others. basically take everything with a grain of salt. if you follow the break in with the sts it will run like a champ. the racers edge is wicked with torque. good luck bud.

engines are a very personal thing, one person loves what one person hates.

remember, with forums, you will hear more bad things about engine/manufacturers than you will good things. people like to moan more than compliment.

from my experience:
ofna/force .32 - very weak head button, 2 of them at my club stripped within 2 weeks of running in, they found it tough to get replacements (the .28 version is a great motor however)
STS - ive never seen a good one, quite a few of them at the club aswell
axial - if they are anywhere near as good as my k4.6 was in my savage i would be happy, i still haven't had a chance to run my axial

another engine to look at is the new GO .28, racing pinch engines with awsome power judging by reveiws.

best bet is to pick one and run it in properly and treat it well. if you look after it, 95% of the time it will last you a long time

all engines have a weak point. I have had the sure fire the sts and a few others. can't race a .32 also. not roar legal. I love my sts and loved my sure fire. read the engine x dino that might help also. just remember about threads people will push what they like or heard someone else say was great and flame others. basically take everything with a grain of salt. if you follow the break in with the sts it will run like a champ. the racers edge is wicked with torque. good luck bud.

thats what Ive learned after readin for 3 hrs ,
so ,I figure if everyone just posts probs and solutions it may help weed out the flaws before they expand into a "motor snivel"thread,
thats one of the 1st things I did when I signed up here.nothing but complain about my axail.
then realized if I had read about the motor 1st It may have worked better 4 me
and I realize too that most in not all members here know so much about motors its all common sense to them ,but for us beginners its really helpful

ofna/force .32 - very weak head button, 2 of them at my club stripped within 2 weeks of running in, they found it tough to get replacements (the .28 version is a great motor however)
STS - ive never seen a good one, quite a few of them at the club aswell

whats this "head button" I read it on another thread,but cant figure it out

the head button is what sites under the colling head and the glow plug screws into

the problem with the ofna/force .32 one is the material is very soft and overtightening the glow plug, even slightly, can strip it.

you can usually get a standard plug and a turbo plug head button for an engine. a standard is what most people use. a turbo head give better performance all around and plugs last longer, however plugs cost more usually.

ahh ,i think that just happened to my .26 ,could be most of my troubles,but I want a new motor anyway so I guess extra careful with the glow plugs

I am running the HPI K4.6 HO. I love the motor the only problem that i have had is the mid range needle walking on me. Fixing it was wasy some teflon tape got it set then siliconed it. Easy and cheap fix. It has been a great motor so far.

well after callin around and pricein things out I think my best $$ is the ofna .32.on ebay same seller has a 12 pack of os 8 glow plugs for $60 cad ,so together its lookin like the deal,
nobodys bashed the ofna too bad ,and I figure it'll be better then the axial
so its done ..buyin it now

so after all that ..I couldnt wait .went to the local H-shop and bought another axial 28,$139+tax cad,thats pretty good.
so came home started putin it together ,no big hassles 12am got out to break it in
starts 1st pull ..wow I think
geter up to 165 ..keep it there for a tank and a half then puuuu
seized ..again!!!!! couldnt believe it .poured some fuel down the head and gave it a smack with a flat head (on the fly wheel) free's up
started right up and continued for 3 more tanks ..
then I get it out and about ..putt'n tank or 2 ..then start to lean it out
get it runnin pretty good but it needs to be around 230-260 for it to really scream.. if I richen it out from there it sputters and wont shift..
I'm gonna give a day or 2 and see what happens
didnt seal anything
wanna see if it makes a difference
anyway's 4am now ..gotta git!

out today ..for a little boot ..still aint tuning right ..to run right and not sputter ive gotta lean out the top end..1/8 th at a time ..finally I got it good .then checked the temp ,,319!!!!!!! wtf ..I was hopeing this axial was gonna be different but nope...gotta start from scatch again ..might even take it to the shop I bought it from and see if they have any luck..shoulda waited for the ofna

so I gave up today and took both my trucks to my local shop..
guy there knows more then I will ever.
fire up the old axial..runs pretty good ..gets it set and we check the temp..
195ish ..my venom 247!!!!! 50 dgrees difference!.wtf..so he tunes it a little more and gets it just right ....then he starts it (cuz I did the 1st couple times)
and says right away ..motors toast! very little compression,,still goes good but all the wacky sh@@ its been doin has been a result of a worn piston or possible bearing
then we move on to the new 1..fire it up..runnin wayyy too rich ..he sorts it out and whamm ,run's like a charm ,tonne of scream/tork and never heats up past 210!! but on that venom its sayin 240..
so much power he can hardly keep the front end on the ground..14/49 3speed
it even snaps a dogbone?
so to make a long story short ..the Axail's are ok..and now I know how to tune them and know what to look for I shouldnt have any probs,,I read a bunch of tuneing threads watched the youtube vids ,,but just couldnt get it right ..
Dave if your on here ..thanks again ,,Pinnacle rocks!

So I was messin around on ebay last night and ended up winning a bid on a sts.30!..gonna cost me less for this motor shipped then my axial's before tax!
lets hope it doesnt give me the same headaches..

Latest posts

Members online

Back